Is there going to be a 2021 product announcement this year?

TravisM

5 minutes ago, Ryde-on-time said:

Bachmann changed at the beginning of 2020 to making quarterly announcements saying “ the new products featured will all be released within three months of announcement.” - so not ages away

http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2020/01/a-new-era-dawns-for-Bachmann-europe/

I think there is a difference between "new product" and "new tooling". There is quite a bit of stuff that was still in Tool Room which has to work its way through to production.

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
  • Like 1

On 28/01/2021 at 22:48, Covkid said:

Have to disagree.

image.png.f4eb7fd1ea7521974604415f970f005f.png

I happen to think one of these will appear eventually, even though I expect they were only ever green. 

A BR black one with red backed number plates and early crest on the tender would look really nice Hornby, and the pregrouping versions might look good with those 4 and 6 wheel coaches even though they were principally coal engines.

Wonder if "Johnster" would be tempted.   

The last Aberdare was gone by October 1949, cutting it fine to have received the crest introduced that year.
Bachmann making one would save me some effort.

Edited by heraldcoupe
  • Like 1

From the language used it does look like there will be something brand new, but I don't think it will be as expansive as the Hornby announcement. Probably one or two new locomotives at the most.

Quite frankly, they've missed the boat on the Manor. Hornby could perhaps pull it off, but competing against not one but two manufacturers is a very bad idea. Their best bet would be to pop a new DCC-ready mech under the existing body and sell it at the sub-£100 mark.

One thing I could see them announcing is a Stanier 8F, given that they'd just need to "reverse shrink ray" the new Farish model. That said, I hope they don't. The pool of viable steam-era models is still very deep, and I'd like to see some more pre-1923 designs, particularly small, useful, branch and secondary main line locomotives that remained widely distributed right up until the advent of DMUs. A C12 4-4-2T would be extremely useful- they were of course of GN origin but could be seen in East Anglia, Lincolnshire and the East Riding in LNER days with substantial allocations as far north as Hull.

I do fear that we could see manufacturers eventually devolving in to a competition over popular subjects; so we end up with the "definitive" Black 5, 9F, Hall, etc. being announced every year without any new ground ever being broken.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Do retail or the media get a look at the announcements before they are announced or do they find out the same time as us? This would indicate if rails actually know something we don’t or are just trying to whip up excitement.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Can’t see them bothering with an 8F; it would have to be significantly better than Hornby’s, which is not at all bad, at a competitive price.  Black 5 with different boiler or one of the Ivatt variants perhaps, or Caprotti Standard 5MT. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

From the language used it does look like there will be something brand new, but I don't think it will be as expansive as the Hornby announcement. Probably one or two new locomotives at the most.

Quite frankly, they've missed the boat on the Manor. Hornby could perhaps pull it off, but competing against not one but two manufacturers is a very bad idea. Their best bet would be to pop a new DCC-ready mech under the existing body and sell it at the sub-£100 mark.

One thing I could see them announcing is a Stanier 8F, given that they'd just need to "reverse shrink ray" the new Farish model. That said, I hope they don't. The pool of viable steam-era models is still very deep, and I'd like to see some more pre-1923 designs, particularly small, useful, branch and secondary main line locomotives that remained widely distributed right up until the advent of DMUs. A C12 4-4-2T would be extremely useful- they were of course of GN origin but could be seen in East Anglia, Lincolnshire and the East Riding in LNER days with substantial allocations as far north as Hull.

I do fear that we could see manufacturers eventually devolving in to a competition over popular subjects; so we end up with the "definitive" Black 5, 9F, Hall, etc. being announced every year without any new ground ever being broken.

Manor at sub £100.00. I fear those days are sadly long gone. The B1 just had a  new chassis. It's well over £100., though it under cuts the Hornby version.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Do retail or the media get a look at the announcements before they are announced or do they find out the same time as us? This would indicate if rails actually know something we don’t or are just trying to whip up excitement.

Rails and Hornby having parted ways must mean a substantial hit to their income, so it is in their interest to big up their second largest source.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Markwj said:

Details newsletter said they had no idea what was to be announced. So yet again we will no doubt have retailers immediately listing items for pre order without any clue of exactly how many they will receive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Black 5 with different boiler or one of the Ivatt variants perhaps

Hornby have done most of the variants of firebox, dome and topfeed with the correct long wheelbase for later builds so there isn't much to glean there.  The two Caprotti designs are different enough to be new models, so perhaps those, but otherwise the Hornby Black 5 is pretty good and I don't really get the calls for a retool.  All Hornby's Stanier 9 ton tenders need that fictitious valance removing of course, but that isn't something Bachmann can do.

An obvious loco for Bachmann is a 2P to current standards.  Perhaps in the form of a Midland 483?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

After the dissapointment, at least for me, of Hornby's latest catalogue I'm hoping Bachmann might be a little more adventurous. The 4-6-2 and 4-6-0 categories are already vastly overepresented whereas there are some wonderful and numerous 4-4-0s, 2-6-0s and 0-6-0s just waiting to be done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It is good to see the various thoughts for OO models here, and I do hope some new tool items are announced, but as an N gauge modeller, let's say I am managing my own expectations as far as brand new announcements go. It would be nice to see a brand new steam loco announced, but I am not holding my breath and won't be poised and waiting for the nanosecond that thing start tomorrow morning. 

Please though not a 1:148 Raleigh Chopper!

Roy

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

There's even a 1955 Plan diesel that's never appeared RTR, the North British D84xx 'road switcher'.  Mind, they didn't appear that often out earning their keep, either...

There are entire main line pre grouping companies completely unrepresented; Highland, Glasgow & South Western, Cambrian, Furness, Great North of Scotland, Hull and Barnsley, the South Wales constituents, in some of those cases with locos and stock that lasted well into BR days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

There's even a 1955 Plan diesel that's never appeared RTR, the North British D84xx 'road switcher'.  Mind, they didn't appear that often out earning their keep, either...

Heljan did them a few years back alongside the class 15.

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Heljan did them a few years back alongside the class 15

If the EFE link up is ongoing it would be good, from my purchasing requirements, for at least the Cl15 to make an appearance in the Bachmann / EFE stable. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Hornby have done most of the variants of firebox, dome and topfeed with the correct long wheelbase for later builds so there isn't much to glean there.  The two Caprotti designs are different enough to be new models, so perhaps those, but otherwise the Hornby Black 5 is pretty good and I don't really get the calls for a retool.  All Hornby's Stanier 9 ton tenders need that fictitious valance removing of course, but that isn't something Bachmann can do.

An obvious loco for Bachmann is a 2P to current standards.  Perhaps in the form of a Midland 483?

Hornby have not done an accurately dimensioned long wheelbase black 5, all they have done is move the rear axle backwards, and use the same body.

A long wheelbase black 5 should have the smokebox length increased by the same amount as the wheelbase.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Can’t see them bothering with an 8F; it would have to be significantly better than Hornby’s, which is not at all bad, at a competitive price.  Black 5 with different boiler or one of the Ivatt variants perhaps, or Caprotti Standard 5MT. 

The Hornby 8F is awful and very dated. Hornby are sleeping on it whilst chasing other models such as the 9F.

Regarding the idea "But XYZ already makes one" all bets are off now. Repetition is no longer an issue. If Hornby can make a 9F then anything in Hornby's range is fair game.

Looking at the catalogue cover looks like a lot of yellow followed by a light colour where the grey would be. I'm guessing at a BR unit of some description.

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3740-Bachmann-s-spring-announcements

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Hornby 8F is awful and very dated. Hornby are sleeping on it whilst chasing other models such as the 9F.

Regarding the idea "But XYZ already makes one" all bets are off now. Repetition is no longer an issue. If Hornby can make a 9F then anything in Hornby's range is fair game.

Looking at the catalogue cover looks like a lot of yellow followed by a light colour where the grey would be. I'm guessing at a BR unit of some description.

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3740-Bachmann-s-spring-announcements

Jason

Rails seem to have ignored Bachmann's request not to share that link until 12:00 tomorrow as it was for 09:30 for members.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Frankly, given that in the four quarterly announcements last year, not one item from new tooling of their own was introduced, I am not expecting things to change. If anything is announced I expect it will be a "sound upgrade" of an existing model (especially for N gauge — looking at the recent past (say, the last three years or so) that's the majority of the announcements by far.

As for models coming out "within three months" of the announcement, just how long is it since the EFE 1938-stock LT unit was announced? Six months, I think…

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Class 31 in Railfreight Red!!

or it's the Class 86/2 that carried that big prototype HST face covering for aero testing in the early 70s

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Can't see a link.

Jason

Ok, maybe link was a bad phrase, they have told people where to get it when Bachmann have asked not to share.

Taken from the Bachmann email: "Due to the nature of the YouTube Premiere service, the video will be viewable on YouTube as soon as it premieres tomorrow, however we are sharing this link exclusively with our valued Bachmann Collectors Club Members and Customers beforehand and the video will not be promoted elsewhere until midday tomorrow. We therefore kindly ask that you do not share the link or the video until after midday tomorrow either."

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium

2 hours 30 mins hardly going to make a difference . 

I wonder if catalogue will cover EFE as well, just thinking the big grey thing with yellow end , if that indeed is a pic from catalogue could be a class 58

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Venator said:

After the dissapointment, at least for me, of Hornby's latest catalogue I'm hoping Bachmann might be a little more adventurous. The 4-6-2 and 4-6-0 categories are already vastly overepresented whereas there are some wonderful and numerous 4-4-0s, 2-6-0s and 0-6-0s just waiting to be done.

There are loads of good models out there for every region & era. Anything new is a bonus.

I don't understand why after every announcement I see posts expressing disappointment at what is not available.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1