Cab control - A Puzzle

batrapyr

Sometime ago I acquired a (large) Z gauge layout that had previously been exhibited but had been mothballed for a number of years. As can be seen from the track plan (schematic), it comprises 4 baseboards each with its own control panel. Handheld controllers plug in via a couple of 6-DIN sockets. It is, obviously, DC and cab control is employed.

To an inexperienced modeller, like me, this was an ideal project where I could learn about things like electrics and I have to confess that my first impression of the wiring loom, under the baseboards, was one of bewilderment. There were wires of every colour of the rainbow and I set out with the intention of figuring out what each wire did and then labelling them. I quickly discovered that there were 3 separate circuits. The first was for the points; the second was for the uncouplers and the third was for the track power (using two separate feeds).

I have managed to work out the two baseboards, with pink and grey backgrounds. There are separate 'zones' and I have given the track a different colour for each zone. They are electrically isolated and are controlled by appropriate (centre-off) switches on the control panels, thereby providing cab control. The other two baseboards are where I have a problem.

The previous owner had started to dismantle the layout and had removed the control panels for the two left-most baseboards. I am in the process of reinstating the missing control panels and I have all the necessary wire, switches, etc. however I need to work out where the isolated sections would be. Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed!

Barry Denyer

A novice modeller & an electrical numpty

Layout_zones.jpg.0b7992be59a274d55516d39be3ae3a87.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It would be easier if I knew what I was looking at .... I'm guessing the left hand end is a 4 platform terminus, run round on the top two platforms, with a double track main line to the (red) fiddle yard and a single track branch to a rather large branch terminus (mostly green) with a couple of carriage sidings?  With no scope for freight operations?  Sectionalising the left hand end would rather depend on what you would want to be able to do at the same time.  I could probably tell you how I would do it starting from scratch, but whether that would bear any resemblance to how it's actually been done is another matter entirely .... 

On 15/01/2021 at 06:48, batrapyr said:

Sometime ago I acquired a (large) Z gauge layout that had previously been exhibited but had been mothballed for a number of years. As can be seen from the track plan (schematic), it comprises 4 baseboards each with its own control panel. Handheld controllers plug in via a couple of 6-DIN sockets. It is, obviously, DC and cab control is employed.

To an inexperienced modeller, like me, this was an ideal project where I could learn about things like electrics and I have to confess that my first impression of the wiring loom, under the baseboards, was one of bewilderment. There were wires of every colour of the rainbow and I set out with the intention of figuring out what each wire did and then labelling them. I quickly discovered that there were 3 separate circuits. The first was for the points; the second was for the uncouplers and the third was for the track power (using two separate feeds).

I have managed to work out the two baseboards, with pink and grey backgrounds. There are separate 'zones' and I have given the track a different colour for each zone. They are electrically isolated and are controlled by appropriate (centre-off) switches on the control panels, thereby providing cab control. The other two baseboards are where I have a problem.

The previous owner had started to dismantle the layout and had removed the control panels for the two left-most baseboards. I am in the process of reinstating the missing control panels and I have all the necessary wire, switches, etc. however I need to work out where the isolated sections would be. Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed!

Barry Denyer

A novice modeller & an electrical numpty

Layout_zones.jpg.0b7992be59a274d55516d39be3ae3a87.jpg

Sounds like a well thought out scheme. Separate circuits for points are just plain common sense especially with DCC, you really don't want points power tripping because a loco is across an isolator and you can't change the point to clear it because the power is tripping...,    DC Handhelds are also so much easier to wield than DCC, I operate mine one handed, one in each hand and forget which is which., when running two trains or on occasion banking.  You can have an almost unlimited number of controllers or Din Sockets for hand helds with cab control. The OP's seems to have just two controllers selected by  DPDT switches, mine have 6 way rotary switches but double gang rotaries around 20 way are avaiable and that's far from the limit.

I will blow up your drawing and see if I can make head or tail of it later, but it looks souns.   Multicoloured wirng is availabe from car scrap yards, best lengths are along panel vans, Trannies and the like.  Its what I use.   Where are you based?

If I understand you correctly then this is what I would do

If I counted correctly I have set up 11 extra blocks Each requiring a DPDT Centre Off switch

I have only shown 2 of the 11 blocks connected to switches

The red lines are IRRJ's in both rails

EDIT Seems i had a seniors moment, Drawing corrected

Thanks to bartram108(next post)for showing my mistake

blocks.png.8bb07fd9779a57703b4e632880f52b35.png

John

Edited by John ks
mistake

John

Are you sure you have the wiring of the DPDT switches correct?

Assuming green (C1) is +ve and blue (C1) is -ve, and grey (C2) is +ve and orange (C2) is -ve, then the 2 wires from each controller need to go to either the top 2 poles or the bottom 2 poles respectively. And the polarity needs to connect to the same side at each end so when you throw the switch either up or down then power is fed to the red / black wires connecting to the track consistently.

So you need to swap the blue & grey connections on your diagram.

Graham

Edited by bartram108
Add name
  • Agree 1