Great Electric Train Show 2021

adrianmc

• RMweb Gold

It appears that The Great Electric Train Show scheduled for March 13/14 2021 at EventCity, Manchester may have been cancelled.

The Key Model World website now only has an entry for the Marshall Arena event in Milton Keynes on October 2/3 2021.

Looks as if there was an edit overnight to the website removing references to the Manchester show - although if you click on the Milton Keynes Show 2021 button the text on the loaded page still references Manchester.

Edited by adrianmc
Change of date for Milton Keynes event

• RMweb Premium

At some point someone is going to have to take a deep breath and go ahead with putting a show on!  Going to be someone brave I reckon but I do hope it is sooner rather than later.

• Agree 1

The Great Electric Train Show was actually going to be a first and last - Event City was going to close in March regardless, perhaps they pulled the plug first on Hornby Magazine - once the next lockdown began they may have just hastened the closing down.

Though the likelyhood of it going on in the current circumstances looked zero anyway, pity, I could have walked to that location so technically it would have been daily exercise and a train exhibition in one.

Like many here, I would be surprised if there were indoor exhibitions, model related or otherwise, much before the last quarter of 2021.

However, I checked on the Leas Cliff Hall (which has held MR exhibitions as well as scale model shows over the years) and they are taking bookings for concerts and gigs from April.  Now it might be they are hopeless optimists, but the Leas Cliff Hall is a fairly small venue so I can't see a 'socially distant' gig being very economic.

Perhaps the local demographics mean that most people will be in the early rounds of vaccinations?

I draw no conclusions, other than it's interesting.

jch

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 18/01/2021 at 13:20, John Harris said:

Like many here, I would be surprised if there were indoor exhibitions, model related or otherwise, much before the last quarter of 2021.

I'd be surprised if there is any at all in 2021 - indoor at least, especially considering  a large majority of model railway exhibitions take place in fairly cramped & crowded venues.

Plus,  who is going to attend such events?  I wont be... unless things improve beyond all expectations. 

And who would be willing to put on such a show (given how much effort that entails) with the hope of even breaking even? .. or even finding enough exhibitors or trade in the first place willing to put themselves in a potentially risky environment for two days.

Optimism is fine .. but IMHO there comes a time when people need to face the true knock on effect of Covid & lockdown. 

• Agree 1

I've been to a number of shows in the past which have been spread over a number of small buildings with one or two layouts in each - at venues such as the Rural Life Centre at Farnham, Amberley, Pulborough Garden Centre, Weald and Downland Open Air Museum etc. I could see those sort of events going ahead this year if all goes well - they could probably have happened last summer but the venues were understandably concentrating on ensuring that their core visitor attractions worked before putting on special events.

As to indoor events, maybe some of the smaller shows might be able to get going in the autumn (again provided all goes well) - of the ones I normally attend, Tadworth and Lower Earley would fit into thsi category. Tadworth is held to raise funds for the church it takes place in (so no hall hire fee) and minimal expenses so insurance and catering are the only likely costs. Leaving off some of the side rooms would enable a one way system to be set up, though a lot would depend what distancing/mask wearing requirements are like by then.  I think most of the Tadworth crew would be up for attending provided it is deemed safe to do so. Earley would be more of a challenge (particularly upstairs) but isn't a particularly busy show. However I think Woking, Wycombe and especially Warley are all going to be no-gos. 

Into next year, if things don't go wrong through the winter maybe we'll start to get some traction depending on what rules are in place. I'm still anticipating holding the Kenavon show (possibly in a reduced format) next year, and when I cancelled this year's show at the start of the November lockdown, all but one of the exhibitors was up for attending in 2021. If things go really well, then maybe we'll see Basingstoke and Ally Pally in March 2022 but nobody has a crystal ball.

On 18/01/2021 at 13:20, John Harris said:

However, I checked on the Leas Cliff Hall (which has held MR exhibitions as well as scale model shows over the years) and they are taking bookings for concerts and gigs from April.  Now it might be they are hopeless optimists, but the Leas Cliff Hall is a fairly small venue so I can't see a 'socially distant' gig being very economic.

Meanwhile the PM's been saying it's unlikely lockdown will end before spring, so what chance for indoor events by then?

It's also reported that although the vaccines prevent people becoming ill, it's still not known if they prevent transmission.

The vaccines are also said to be 90% effective. But that still leaves 1 in 10 vulnerable until a large enough proportion of the population are vaccinated to get the transmission rate very low.

So distancing and severely limited numbers seem likely to remain for some time, your first paragraphs probably nearer the mark

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Please also note it’s been moved a weekend earlier than originally planned due to the football fixtures. 

The new date is 2nd / 3rd October so make sure you change your diaries. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2021 at 19:22, gwrrob said:

Looking forward to seeing which traders will be present at this show.

H & A Models have confirmed their attendance, their first show in 20 months.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm happy to buy a ticket in advance but I've heard mutterings about time slots...I'll be coming a long way by train and bus which is never straightforward and as the train fare is a significant multiple of the admission I'd prefer to spend as long as I like..does anyone have any idea what is planned?

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

Can’t believe there is no trader such as legomann or digitrains at the show doing sound so I’ve seen so far 

Bear in mind that potentially not all traders are prepared to attend shows just yet. Smaller businesses would possibly be affected greater should any subsequent illness occur / isolation be necessary. 

Edited by Graham_Muz

On 07/09/2021 at 21:36, Graham_Muz said:

Bear in mind that potentially not all traders are prepared to attend shows just yet. Smaller businesses would possibly be affected greater should any subsequent illness occur / isolation be necessary. 

My bad just found out that dc kits/legomann will be there 

• Like 2