Great Electric Train Show 2021

adrianmc

Something else I've just noticed, there's no mention of any Societies being present e.g. N Gauge Society, 2mmSA, EMGS, Scalefour, DEMU etc.

I know the NGS & DEMU haven't been invited, but have any of the others??

I think that's a bit of a poor decision, makes the show look just like a Traders show with a few layouts chucked in, hardly trying to extol the virtues of Railway Modelling, at least Warners invite Societies to their shows.

Regards

Neal.

• Agree 1

I don't know if it was a deliberate slow release (which works when there are months to go) or simply because it took time to confirm all the layouts attending once they had formally announced there would be a show, but by the time I could see most of the layouts all the cheap seats on the trains were gone (none at all on Sunday) and I am not going.

1 hour ago, Calnefoxile said:

I think that's a bit of a poor decision, makes the show look just like a Traders show with a few layouts chucked in, hardly trying to extol the virtues of Railway Modelling, at least Warners invite Societies to their shows.

Hi,

The aisles have been widened to accommodate extra space for social distancing, so natural there is slightly less space for stuff, so it could be that based on previous experience regarding stand size for some societies, the simply isn't space for them?

Simon

On 21/09/2021 at 12:27, Calnefoxile said:

Something else I've just noticed, there's no mention of any Societies being present e.g. N Gauge Society, 2mmSA, EMGS, Scalefour, DEMU etc.

I know the NGS & DEMU haven't been invited, but have any of the others??

Regards

Neal.

I think thats a little unfair to Mike and his small team, there seems to be 'slightly' more than a 'few' layouts, at the last count 24.    Thats 26 'if' you count the Legomanbiffo DCC Sound Demo on the dckits-Realtrack Models-C=Rail Intermodal stand and the DCC Concepts ones!!!!!!

It looks to me to be all high quality layouts with many 'new' on the exhibition circuit.

And a free bus from the station & free parking.

https://www.keymodelworld.com/greatelectrictrainshow

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

They may also, possibly, have had difficulty getting layouts, especially given that they had to change the date at relatively short notice combined with the fact that many layout operators may still be a little reluctant to spend all day being breathed on by strangers.

• RMweb Gold

All I can say is I won't be going because of the experience of the last time.  As I'm disabled, I was pushed, shoved, nearly had my head taken off by some inconsiderate w****r with a rucksack who did a 180 without looking who was about.  I'm going to avoid shows from now on unless the organisers can provide a safe way for those on crutches, wheelchairs, both push and electric can get around without being knocked over or abused.  I'm not the only one but I know it's highly unlikely to change even with disability protocols in place.

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 25/09/2021 at 18:37, jools1959 said:

All I can say is I won't be going because of the experience of the last time.  As I'm disabled, I was pushed, shoved, nearly had my head taken off by some inconsiderate w****r with a rucksack who did a 180 without looking who was about.  I'm going to avoid shows from now on unless the organisers can provide a safe way for those on crutches, wheelchairs, both push and electric can get around without being knocked over or abused.  I'm not the only one but I know it's highly unlikely to change even with disability protocols in place.

And just how do the organisers of shows prevent that?  Specify that only nice people are allowed in? I agree that some members of the rucksack brigade are a pain but if you banned rucksacks who would police it? Do you expect a member of the organising club to stand at the door and try to stop them entering? The ones who are most careless are the ones most likely to be abusive to anyone trying to stop them.

In my experience all exhibitions are much quieter on the Sunday and the rucksack brigade are strongest on the Saturday. Anyone who is frail in any way is best served by going to large shows on the Sunday rather than the Saturday. Same applies to anyone bringing small children.

I find electric chariots are more likely to cause grief than rucksack carriers but I wouldn't for one second suggest banning them. At least one of these chariots has accidentally hit a layout causing damage.

I was an exhibitor at GETS in 2019 and it didn't seem overly crowded; just busy in a healthy way on the Saturday and a bit quieter on the Sunday. It was well organised with good wide walking areas. I really can't see any reason for not going.

Edited by Chris M
spelling
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Was good to get back to an exhibition again, lot of inspiration for my layout now. - really need to empty the garage. Highlights for me were New Kensal Green, Dragonby, Oak Road, ‘Making Track WCML’ and seeing the Accurascale samples. 

CAE777C3-B94F-4AD5-ADDF-F3D7B49C0125.jpeg

Edited by StuAllen
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

This is a good show which I have previously enjoyed but my personal choice is to avoid attending shows that don't require proof of Covid jabs and/or wearing of face masks, at least for a while.

Understandable.

I went along today and was amongst probably only 15% or so of people who were wearing a mask, I was surprised by this and would have hoped/expected it to be higher. I could see no signage even asking people to wear masks if possible, or publicly available hand sanitiser (although there was some available on stands). I personally feel the organisers could have tried a little harder in this respect to be honest as it was quite crowded when I first arrived shortly before 11.00.

That aside, a good show with some top quality layouts and a very good selection of traders. I didn't buy much, but I did get hold of a few useful bits and pieces I had been after for a while.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, StuAllen said:

Was good to get back to an exhibition again, lot of inspiration for my layout now. - really need to empty the garage. Highlights for me were New Kensal Green, Dragonby, Oak Road, ‘Making Track WCML’ and seeing the Accurascale samples. 

CAE777C3-B94F-4AD5-ADDF-F3D7B49C0125.jpeg

Glad you enjoyed going Stu. Looks like exhibitions of old. 

From my personal point of view this photo makes it look uncomfortably crowded with minimal mask wearing. Going forward I see this as a real challenge for exhibition managers, one that I don't see an immediate resolution to. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the show today. Plenty of good layouts.

Yes it was quite busy but not rammed. I would have been happier if you had to show a Covid vaccine pass to be allowed in. I would like that to be the standard for all events for a while. There was plenty of air in the room and only a few visitors were wearing masks. I didn’t wear one because I tend to go with the majority in such circumstances.

Was it high risk? I would say higher much risk than being outdoors or being inside with just the family. Last year the official stance was that to be considered to be contact you had to be in the same room as someone who later developed Covid for more than 15 minutes. At an exhibition visitors are mulling around in randomly different patterns so you wouldn’t be close to any one person (other than those you were visiting with) for more than a few minutes at a time. All things considered it may well be that going to an exhibition is no more of a risk than being in a busy restaurant. While there are far fewer people in a restaurant and therefore lower risk you are in relatively close contact with people on nearby tables for a much longer period which makes for higher risk of catching Covid if anyone nearby has it. I dare say I will worry for a week or so in case I go down with Covid but, being double vaccinated, it shouldn’t be significantly life threatening if I do catch it. 

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Looks fairly well attended.

From the masks point of view - Ive had enough , if I keep wearing them when they are no longer compulsory , I’ll be wearing them forever. Gotta be a leap of faith at some point .

It is now a personal choice I accept but the point of a mask is not to keep the wearer safe but much more that it helps prevent infecting others, that is the issue and in a crowded space like today's show why it is important. 

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

I also went today and deliberately did not arrive till just before midday.

i understand talking to some of the traders the queues started just after 8AM

After about 2pm it was a lot more comfortable, although only about 20% were wearing masks most of the public gave you space

As the next large exhibition is Stafford in February 2022 my visit today has been very useful.

Hope everyone enjoyed today’s first major exhibition.

Terry

Stafford Railway Circle 

• Informative/Useful 1

I went with my son, we had a good time. I have been jabbed and for my age group am happy to accept the massively reduced risk that this offers. In that respect, I personally am not going to worry about others being unmasked. My son is of an age to be at no elevated risk whatsoever. The walk to Bletchley station was I suspect a higher risk venture.

It is about personal choice and others will have risks that make such decisions more difficult but I am glad that the option to attend exists and that it was able to be a 'normal' experience.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Turned out today with @Liam and Digby. A thoroughly enjoyable show and the organisers should be congratulated on putting a show together as we come out of such a trying time.

Could have stood in front of Chilcompton Tunnel and watched the S&D traffic roll past all afternoon ….

And great to bump in to other friends too….

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This was an excellent show, and it was great to attend an exhibition again. I wore a mask and so did many others. The traders and exhibitors were obviously pleased to be back and were very friendly. The only negative was the catering, very poor choice and very expensive, £6 for a cheese sandwich is disgusting. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Attended with youngest daughter plus two grandsons, 4 and 6yo. Had an enjoyable time, with some very engagable operators. The photo makes it look very busy, but having been before, it was far from rammed, and I heard it was a sell-out today, so numbers were limited. The traders seemed to be glad to be back, and i was glad to part with some cash.

Agree on the cheese sandwich, but it was deconstructable and shareable if one person didn't want the pickle. The alternative is a short walk out to the shops/cinema where there are many eateries, but as it was raining, we didn't bother.

Still got wet though, in the biblical rain while running for the shuttle bus, when vast swaithes of the car park were 4 inches deep in water....