Great Electric Train Show 2021

adrianmc

Re Masks. 

I've been following the Covid stats in detail since it started and over the last 4 months the daily number of infections has been pretty consistently in and around the 30,000 to 40,000 range.  Over that period we've had the opening up and I'm sure we've all observed that mask wearing has steadily dropped in most environments including those where it is supposed to be mandatary such as on the Underground.  Yet despite that the infection numbers have remained pretty flat.  Hospital admissions, length of stay in hospital and deaths have fluctuated a bit but overall are way down on previously. 

Without wishing to start a slanging a match, it would not seem unreasonable to conclude, based on the trajectory of the infection stats since May and the empirical evidence on the decline in mask wearing, that there isn't much of a statistical link between the degree of mask wearing and the rate of infections when going about normal day to day life in the largely vaccinated UK.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DY444 said:

Re Masks. 

I've been following the Covid stats in detail since it started and over the last 4 months the daily number of infections has been pretty consistently in and around the 30,000 to 40,000 range.  Over that period we've had the opening up and I'm sure we've all observed that mask wearing has steadily dropped in most environments including those where it is supposed to be mandatary such as on the Underground.  Yet despite that the infection numbers have remained pretty flat.  Hospital admissions, length of stay in hospital and deaths have fluctuated a bit but overall are way down on previously. 

Without wishing to start a slanging a match, it would not seem unreasonable to conclude, based on the trajectory of the infection stats since May and the empirical evidence on the decline in mask wearing, that there isn't much of a statistical link between the degree of mask wearing and the rate of infections when going about normal day to day life in the largely vaccinated UK.

Likewise. And most importantly you have used the correct terminology for the daily reported figure which is the number of infections, not the number of COVID cases. Very different things but the media continually blurs the distinction. Thank you.

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Visited the show yesterday with @Phil Bullock. It was an easy journey for me, 350 direct to MKC then hopped on the free shuttle bus to the Marshall Arena. I had pre-booked my ticket and sailed straight in having had my wristband given to me at the entrance door. 

The layouts on display were superb, and my favourites were Chilcompton Tunnel, Old Elm Park and Melton Mowbray North. Here are a few photos of them: 

A0BB2967-B9C7-47D4-906A-D9F0D7656C63.jpeg.bc3f91db374647c310df0647cb4a911d.jpeg

B1918CD6-D090-4A1F-BAF5-8F9D3D4D8667.jpeg.245833d1aeff1361d8cc4363f3c075a8.jpeg

1E77F316-0923-4442-BEAD-2C526E4A63A3.jpeg.247944c0e5a08a3d09be8c47280b9019.jpeg

Being a student, I knew that I shouldn’t be spending lots of money, but I did manage to come away with a Hattons mug (will come in handy!) and a Hornby 21T mineral wagon. 

B702E360-F145-4BF8-B765-692EA479FE53.jpeg.aa4887ffb87cf7ac18f2cf2668d0d804.jpeg

Perhaps the most significant part of the exhibition was when I got to hold the EP of Accurascale’s GWR Manor. Looks a very worthy replacement of the old Bachmann ones. 

Edited by Liam
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, DY444 said:

Re Masks. 

Indeed and the very last thing I wanted to do was open up any kind of slanging match either with my comments yesterday. Every individual is entirely at liberty to choose, my only reflection was that even according to current guidelines organisers still have a responsibility. What I had not appreciated at the time when I made my comments was that there was still a cap on tickets and that explains why after what I considered a very uncomfortable period crowd wise when I joined the show at 11.00 things thinned out as the day progressed. 

My hope is that showing that management of Covid risk can be effective at exhibitions will encourage more clubs to do them and for people to go. I think we are all over the moon to be able to go again whatever difference of opinion there may be about mask wearing:yes:.

Roy

• Like 3

I can see attendance being limited by organisers for some time to come. This seems to be another sensible measure to ensure there is no overcrowding and therefore make exhibitions safer. Along with this we may see shows that are advance ticket only with no "on the day" sales. That would not only control attendance but it would avoid close queueing at the door. From an exhibition organisers point of view it would avoid having club members (usually elderly) sitting at the door being breathed over by everyone needing to buy a ticket which can only be a good thing. Also it kind of moves exhibitions towards being cashless for the organisers which again is a good thing from a safety point of view. It would mean that layout expenses have to be sent by BACS after the show. This isn't so good for exhibitors as its always useful to have a bit of cash in your pocket at an exhibition that the other half doesn't know about!

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I can see attendance being limited by organisers for some time to come. This seems to be another sensible measure to ensure there is no overcrowding and therefore make exhibitions safer. Along with this we may see shows that are advance ticket only with no "on the day" sales. That would not only control attendance but it would avoid close queueing at the door. From an exhibition organisers point of view it would avoid having club members (usually elderly) sitting at the door being breathed over by everyone needing to buy a ticket which can only be a good thing. Also it kind of moves exhibitions towards being cashless for the organisers which again is a good thing from a safety point of view. It would mean that layout expenses have to be sent by BACS after the show. This isn't so good for exhibitors as its always useful to have a bit of cash in your pocket at an exhibition that the other half doesn't know about!

I think this is very much over the top. Crackers! 

I've just had my booster and most others in the vulnerable/over 50 group will have it too. No need to panic, no need at all.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

For the first time at our small "Beacon Rail" show last weekend we had Sum Up card readers at the front desk, catering and club second-hand, offering contactless payment. They are relatively cheap (£29 or less each) easy to set up and transaction charge only 1.69%. Cash was still very much in evidence (and on catering especially covered the majority of transactions) but the alternative was well received and may have actually had a positive impact on second-hand sales we think, where impulse buys were no longer constrained by cash in pocket. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I've just had my booster and most others in the vulnerable/over 50 group will have it too. No need to panic, no need at all.

I think there is a need to be more respectful of other people's opinions. I am double-jabbed like most but that doesn't make me immune and it also does not stop me unknowingly carrying the virus asymptomatically. This isn't just about you it is about other people too. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

4 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Thanks for calling me crackers. I was just offering thoughts about how things might go, no need to be so derogatory, we are entitled to have thoughts and put them forward for reasoned discussion. There can be little doubt that the more people you have crushed into an indoor area the greater the chances of passing on a virus and this is just one possible method of controlling that risk. I didn't say every show must do it, just that it could be something we see happening.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

My take on GETS and some pictures of 3 layouts I'd not seen before...a lot of layouts were difficult to "do" as many had no lighting of their own or were just a little too crowded for my own comfort...having said that I'd seen many before.

My highlights included a quick chat with Simon Bendall about his excellent rolling stock books, catching up in the flesh with the WDLR "4000 yards" in 16mm and purchasing a stash of tools and weathering goodies from Hobby Holidays plus "bumping into" a number of old friends.

As I travelled by train and bus (I enjoyed the little tour around Milton Keynes on my trip out from the station....thanks to the fellow traveller who got us there in the end) I did have a small rucksack for my waterproof, camera, flask and a few purchases.....sorry...

Loctern Quay

51545790790_c3f3b23a4f_b.jpg

51544862966_bd73157780_c.jpg

4000 yards

51544070332_b8de469b58_c.jpg

51545108943_5b9341f272_c.jpg

51545594964_3e8b2c1903_c.jpg

Little Burford

51545594629_2c6252a444_c.jpg

The overview at probably the busiest time - about 1230. It looks less crowded than it felt but maybe I've been happily lonely for too long...this was the peak I think - I left at lunchtime which was earlier than I planned and it reportedly got less crowded after that..I do take up a lot of space though...

Mask wearing was not a requirement but was about 30% I'd say....unlike the tube where it was 99% interestingly. Mainline trains were less busy and mask wearing was mainly pretty sensible. I did not partake of the catering - M&S near the station was reasonable enough but I was pleasd to see the large area near the entrance with lots of large spaced out tables.

51544076587_d68de1e7af_c.jpg

and on the way home...Clun Castle looped near Didcot...result..

51544863781_4e9c2d1643_c.jpg

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Why dismiss caution and sensibility? It looks like you place your satisfaction and personal freedoms above the concerns others may have. Wind it in please.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Chris M said:

Thanks for calling me crackers. I was just offering thoughts about how things might go, no need to be so derogatory, we are entitled to have thoughts and put them forward for reasoned discussion. There can be little doubt that the more people you have crushed into an indoor area the greater the chances of passing on a virus and this is just one possible method of controlling that risk. I didn't say every show must do it, just that it could be something we see happening.

It wasn't intended to be derogatory, just robust. Perhaps best left there. 

I consider myself to be cautious about Covid, but after two, now three, jabs it's time to get on with my life. I'm not prepared to live the years remaining to me anxiously awaiting the consequences. 

I welcome the advent of shows, time get on with life!

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

It wasn't intended to be derogatory, just robust. Perhaps best left there. 

I consider myself to be cautious about Covid, but after two, now three, jabs it's time to get on with my life. I'm not prepared to live the years remaining to me anxiously awaiting the consequences. 

I welcome the advent of shows, time get on with life!

I think the ticketing suggestion potentially moving to online methods via apps and the like might possibly be a bit too much for the elderly generations.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I have had two cov19 jabs and waiting for my booster jab I was one at high risk which I still after avoid large crowds and take precautions still wear a mask in buildings and yes I take tablets for my immune system so not everyone is safe do you know some think everybody else don't not all illness is visible but it's a case of I'm all right jack I would love to go to a Exhibition but at the moment I will have to wait.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Went to day . One thing I liked was on Sunday Children got in for Free. 
Some very nice layouts.
As for the whole covid thing. Thoes who want to wear a mask can, and thoes who dont do not. Walking around the majority of people do not want them,

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, oleander said:

Went to day . One thing I liked was on Sunday Children got in for Free. 
Some very nice layouts.
As for the whole covid thing. Thoes who want to wear a mask can, and thoes who dont do not. Walking around the majority of people do not want them,

My understanding is that masks tend to protect others rather than the wearer so its slightly more than a personal choice...

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Chris M said:

I can see attendance being limited by organisers for some time to come. This seems to be another sensible measure to ensure there is no overcrowding and therefore make exhibitions safer. Along with this we may see shows that are advance ticket only with no "on the day" sales. That would not only control attendance but it would avoid close queueing at the door. From an exhibition organisers point of view it would avoid having club members (usually elderly) sitting at the door being breathed over by everyone needing to buy a ticket which can only be a good thing. 

At the age of 67, I don't consider myself to be elderly but I was happy to serve 400 visitors to our show this weekend and to take cash from each and every one of them - and yes they all breathed on me. If we had to limit numbers then there's no point in having the show - we run an exhibition to help with club costs so if we reduce our income we make a loss. I know from talking to another exhibition manager today that they only broke even by organising the catering and selling food to the visitors which is more profitable than just organising a show that can't make a profit.

11 hours ago, Roy L S said:

For the first time at our small "Beacon Rail" show last weekend we had Sum Up card readers at the front desk, catering and club second-hand, offering contactless payment.

Out of the 400 mentioned above, I think only three had less than £5 in their pocket and we had a cash machine over the road so they were back in 5 mins with cash in hand.

• Like 2

I went to this show for the first time yesterday, and it was my first show since covid. I took a mask but didn’t wear it in the end as the vast amount of people were not either. Plus the hall had high ceilings so probably more airflow than a small room. I went to see Johnny Marr a week ago where no one wore masks and it was shoulder to shoulder packed and zero social distancing. But you did have to show proof of two jabs to get in.

As for the show probably too many box shifters and very little finescale for me but it seemed busy on the Sunday and heard it was busy on Saturday too. The layout of the show seemed strange with having to go through lots of trade before getting to any layouts. I prefer to have headline layouts as you enter the hall which gives you a wow factor of what the show is about. 

Strange to be back at a show and see friends etc, a lot of layouts did not have any lighting and lacked and presentation so were lost in the hall. 

The balconies I nearly missed and would have been better signposted and laid out.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

As for the show probably too many box shifters and very little finescale for me but it seemed busy on the Sunday and heard it was busy on Saturday too. The layout of the show seemed strange with having to go through lots of trade before getting to any layouts. I prefer to have headline layouts as you enter the hall which gives you a wow factor of what the show is about. 

I feel that in this respect, GETS was consistent with how it has been in the past. I don't intend this as a criticism. It just seems to be aimed at a different market to fine scale modellers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2