Great Electric Train Show 2021

adrianmc

• RMweb Premium

The app works well, its the people who ignore them that are not working very well. The point is someone who probably knew they were infected decide to attend the show knowing they may infect others. That is a complete disregard for the safety of other people. We are very close to another lockdown, irresponsible behaviour will ruin it for everyone, the shows will be cancelled and we will be back to square one. Ignoring the app (or the pings if you get one) is crass stupidity.

Edited by 7013
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, 7013 said:

The app works well, its the people who ignore them that are not working very well. The point is someone who probably knew they were infected decide to attend the show knowing they may infect others. That is a complete disregard for the safety of other people. We are very close to another lockdown, irresponsible behaviour will ruin it for everyone, the shows will be cancelled and we will be back to square one. Ignoring the app (or the pings if you get one) is crass stupidity.

It's like I said in my earlier post I'm alright Jack screw everyone else, they are only in there for a few hours wear a mask use hand sanitizer it's only for one day or two day show, 

Edited by spenc

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 7013 said:

someone who probably knew they were infected decide to attend the show knowing they may infect others.

Not necessarily, they may not have known if they didn't have symptoms. Did you have a test within 48 hours before attending?

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Not necessarily, they may not have known if they didn't have symptoms. Did you have a test within 48 hours before attending?

I did, I felt it my duty. Had I failed the test on the Friday night, I would not have gone to the show on the Saturday.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, jonhall said:

Surely the point is that they shouldn't have been visiting a household that was isolating?

Not much sympathy here!

Jon

So do you think if someone's child gets sent home from school because someone in their school bubble tested positive then the entire household has to isolate? It ain't happening. I know a childminder whose daughter was sent home and she carried on as normal. She sent their daughter upstairs to their bedroom while she tended the other kids she was minding downstairs. I also know an NHS nurse whose son was sent home from school and she carried on working as usual.

Graham

8 minutes ago, dagrizz said:

So do you think if someone's child gets sent home from school because someone in their school bubble tested positive then the entire household has to isolate? It ain't happening. I know a childminder whose daughter was sent home and she carried on as normal. She sent their daughter upstairs to their bedroom while she tended the other kids she was minding downstairs. I also know an NHS nurse whose son was sent home from school and she carried on working as usual.

Hmm. 

MORONS!

Jon

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, jonhall said:

Hmm. 

Jon

Yes I know what you are saying. But I was at GETS last week, Cradley Heath today and I've been to other events recently, including a concert in Newcastle. On the way back from Cradley Heath today me and SWMBO were in Brum city centre, which was very busy. Primark was worse than any model railway event. There was no social  distancing at all in the Chinatown restaurants, nor in New St or Moor St stations.

I'm not criticising anyone here, I'm just saying what I know and what I've seen. I just wonder if the ping thing has had its day given the high level of vaccination amongst us.

Graham   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Yes I did, and I will test before the Gaydon show. For me to get a ping it meant that someone else with the app had got a positive result. I registered,tested and got my result back in less than 48hours, its not difficult if you have the app. I have had my say now. My result post GETS was negative thankfully.

Edited by 7013

• RMweb Premium
On 08/10/2021 at 19:33, dagrizz said:

Friends of mine got 'pinged'. They had been visiting friends whose daughter was isolating. The daughter was upstairs in her bedroom, they were downstairs in the lounge and they did not meet, but the app decided they were close enough to be contacts. Cost them a few days pay from work.

I know quite a few people who have switched off the app because of false alerts.

Graham

Back last Christmas my sister got pinged after having been  on a Santa Special at the Bluebell despite all trains being sold on an individual compartment basis and lacking any form of corridor.  It was suspected that the folk in the next compartment had got a positive PCR test.... 

As you say a fair number of people I know have disabled their phones bluetooth functionality  to avoid alerts...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, col.stephens said:

That's not proof that you were in close contact with a Covid carrier at GETS.  How did you travel to and from the show? By train?  No further comment necessary.  By car? Did you stop alongside, in front of, or behind another vehicle during your journey?  Being in contact, as far as the app is concerned, isn't actually the same as any actually being in physical contact.  I think the app has now been largely discredited.  Even NHS staff have been told to turn it off whilst at work.

The App is most certainly not 'discredited' as you put it - it actually works very well in terms of what it was designed to do.

Lest you forget it was ONLY to alert people that they had been in close proximity to someone why may have been infected with Covid. It was never deigned to factor in whether there was a wall or ceiling between the two people or the multitude of other factors which come into play.

This was deliberate - The problem is that because the UK population are firmly against any sort centralised ID databases, 'big Government' telling what they must do plus have a 'privacy paranoia second only to the USA, the the app had to be designed to be pretty basic and work on a 'here and now' approach without the ability to use anything other than another copy of it on a nearby phone going ' I'm possibly infected'.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I have uninstalled the NHS app. I installed it because of its Covid-19 passport functionality but that seems to have gone by the board now. The pinging seems to completely OTT and irrelevant when 80% or so have been vaccinated and I have had three.

That reads to me that you've removed it for your convenience rather than it being ineffective (which it isn't). You don't have to isolate now if pinged but you should get tested. If it is ineffective now it's because it's being disregarded, that applies to most other sensibilities too by a lot of people. In doing so you make yourself part of the problem rather than the solution. 

• Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I have uninstalled the NHS app. I installed it because of its Covid-19 passport functionality but that seems to have gone by the board now. The pinging seems to completely OTT and irrelevant when 80% or so have been vaccinated and I have had three.

Vaccination doesn't stop you getting Covid!  (as I found out to my cost*).

The more recent variants of Covid are also very good at pretending to be a seasonal cold so if you get pinged then get a runny noise it might be a good idea to do a lateral flow test to check.

Also its still is useful to know that there is the potential for you to become infected - despite vaccination. Being pinged could well see you decide to postpone visiting a relative in poor health or know to avoid a friend who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons say.

What is perhaps needed is a tweak to the rules if you are pinged but fully Vaccinated then be alert for symptoms rather than self isolate and avoid contact with vulnerable persons.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

Evidenced by the fact that it has been reported that people are removing the app in their droves.  The NHS has advised its employees to ignore it whilst at work because too many healthy and uninfected clinicians were sitting at home causing huge staffing problems with knock-on effects in healthcare.  The same has been reported in industry and transport.  Essential services have been disrupted as too many healthy workers have been 'pinged' and stayed off work.

Terry

Just because a large number of people do something doesn't automatically mean (1) its sensible! or (2)  is borne out by the FACTS. Just look at whats happened with fuel over the past few weeks to see that what the majority' do may well be totally moronic!

When it comes to things like the NHS telling staff to switch the app off at work that decision won't have been made lightly - it will have been subject to a risk assessment and no doubt suitable precautions to prevent infected staff coming into contact with vulnerable patients through the use of regular testing.

Similarly I understand school teachers are required to undergo regular testing so for them turning the app off at work isn't such an issue.

Naturally being double vaccinated will also offer some protection - so this needs to be factored into the potential risks of ignoring a 'ping'.

Now as I said earlier, what with the opposition in the UK population to anything that smacks of 'restricting personal freedom' the NHS Covid app was not (and won't be designed) to take into account wider factors. It is in effect a very crude tool deliberately dumbed down to suit the privacy obsessed UK public.

That doesn't mean its a useful thing to have though - what actually should have happened is (as with virtually everything over the past 6 months) the Government stop behaving like a circus act, and you know actually GOVERN! Quite clearly with the success of the adult vaccination programme a blanket 'stay at home for 10 days' is not appropriate - but on the other hand 'do not leave home other than for work / exercise purpose' (i.e. don't go to social events) probably is.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I think it's time get back to GETS or lock the thread if all that has been said on the show has been said. 

OK, so we've run out of things to say about GETS. The Covid stuff can go to one of the Covid threads in Wheeltapers please. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3