Pindale Road Cement

• RMweb Gold

The increasing availability of small ready-to-run industrial locomotives has generated some interest at Bonwick Towers, so I thought that I'd put some effort into creating something that could make use of them.

I have an interest in the modelling of cement manufacture and distribution, but the area needed to represent manufacture far exceeds what is available, so it will have to be more along the lines of distribution. I have it in mind to model a small corner of a cement works that will enable the representation of bagged cement loading, bulk cement loading for rail and road, the handling of coal for the kilns and a small locomotive servicing area. Will all that fit into the space I have available? I doubt it.

1814296822_LayoutSketch1.jpg.ea1641a6a12ceafe39e24f6772c43d4c.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

What space do you have available?

3 x Tim Horn boards, each 4' x 1' 6", of the scenic box variety. All in pre-assembly mode at the moment, i.e. in a heap on the floor.

I have some Peco code 75 bullhead track and a couple of each of LH and RH points as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

3 x Tim Horn boards, each 4' x 1' 6", of the scenic box variety. All in pre-assembly mode at the moment, i.e. in a heap on the floor.

I have some Peco code 75 bullhead track and a couple of each of LH and RH points as well.

Decent space. Looking forward to it....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, doilum said:

Is there room for a fiddle yard too? If so, you might even think of a class 25 and a run of presflos subject to modest lottery win!

There will have to be a fiddle yard at one end, at least, to enable enough space to run engines around trains.

It might surprise you to learn that stock is not a problem . . . . . . . . . . :D

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

There will have to be a fiddle yard at one end, at least, to enable enough space to run engines around trains.

It might surprise you to learn that stock is not a problem . . . . . . . . . . :D

Really looking forward to seeing the outcome.

I took the liberty of seeing if the plan would fit the space.

It seems to be possible.

Excuse the rather rough nature of the sketch.

pindale.jpg

It has all the elements of your sketch, shoehorned into a space of 84" x 18"

Plenty of room for a fiddle yard off to the RHS

Edited by LBRJ

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

@Mick Bonwick

It looks like there are loads of cement works to choose from.

https://cementkilns.co.uk/by_map.html

Have you got a favourite in mind?

Thanks for the link, @KeithMacdonald.

I don't know about a favourite, but whatever I base it upon there will have to be more missing than is present.

Out of all those shown on the map I have visited quite a few. Dunbar, Weardale, Hope, Cauldon, Barnstone, Kirtlington, Aberthaw, Westbury, Plymstock, Shoreham, Northfleet and (after closure) Swanscombe. I have a good few photographs taken at Hope, and my ideas about what could be represented in the space available to me are based on facilities at one end of that site. With lots of compression!

Edited by Mick Bonwick

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, LBRJ said:

I took the liberty of seeing if the plan would fit the space.

It seems to be possible.

Excuse the rather rough nature of the sketch.

pindale.jpg

It has all the elements of your sketch, shoehorned into a space of 84" x 18"

Plenty of room for a fiddle yard off to the RHS

Thank you, @LBRJ, for taking the trouble to do this.

Your plan does indeed have all that I would want, but I suspect that the points are of a smaller radius than I would like to use. I know that it is of an industrial nature, but I would like to have trackwork that flows as smoothly as possible with ready to run components. I have 2 x left hand and 2 x right hand Peco large radius bullhead code 75 points and 10 lengths of track, so ought to be able to develop something usable from that.

I also plan to use some representative buildings, safe in the knowledge that you will only see a very small part of all of them. The scale of the prototype can be seen in this shot:

IMG_0575_1.jpg.f5a53df5f48e011efa880e986756693c.jpg

There won't be any heavy plant, though. :P

• Like 2

The points in the plan are Peco BH ones, so they are about a B6!

The curves are also as gentle as I could make them and not be "trainset" ( so about 48" min)

The plan could be made a lot smother, I did it while having a cuppa,  but I suspect you wouldn't like the curves to be too much on the  sharp side....

Main reason i did it was to show It could fit the space you have  and still look "curvey"

Edited by LBRJ
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks good, I've visited Hope a couple of times (4?) and I'm always tempted with a model of the loco shed, coal unloading and the unused (?) rail served loading bay for bagged etc beyond the narrow bit between the buildings - then I remember how long those sidings etc really are it always seems quite dinky but never had enough space to warrant anything capable of 6 (min?) bogie wagons and a loco! 

Good luck with it...

Ralf

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, LBRJ said:

The curves are also as gentle as I could make them and not be "trainset" ( so about 48" min)

The plan could be made a lot smother, I did it while having a cuppa,  but I suspect you wouldn't like the curves to be too much on the  sharp side....

Main reason i did it was to show It could fit the space you have  and still look "curvey"

I appreciate all of that. Curves I like, as I have demonstrated at Easton, Isle of Portland. I have to admit that my early attempts at planning this new layout have not been as curvy as yours, but there is inspiration in your plan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Ralf said:

Looks good, I've visited Hope a couple of times (4?) and I'm always tempted with a model of the loco shed, coal unloading and the unused (?) rail served loading bay for bagged etc beyond the narrow bit between the buildings - then I remember how long those sidings etc really are it always seems quite dinky but never had enough space to warrant anything capable of 6 (min?) bogie wagons and a loco!

Compromise.

The loco shed can be incorporated, the bagging plant platform can be used, the coal handling siding(s) can be seen with wagons on it(them) and the silos shown in the previous photograph can be represented. With housed conveyor belts and other gantry work a fair bit of the materials movement can be shown.

IMG_2903.JPG.f079f875b513afff1135d657d372a7ea.JPG

I'm seeking enough room to handle 5 wagons at a time, using combinations of industrial and mainline haulage. Presflo, Prestwin, Cemflo, PCA, PVV, and anything else I can think of, being shuffled around by Pecketts, Andrew Barclays, Sentinels, 08s, 20s, and maybe the occasional 8F. And Blue John, of course.

IMG_0589.JPG.a68719a7e440f307ebe64a2d6e2fc027.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2021 at 11:37, Ruston said:

It's good name for a cement works layout, what with the Hope Valley cement works being located next to Pindale.

And access to the site is from Pindale Road. :)

I very quickly decided that whatever I built would be based upon the facilities that existed at Hope. Most other sites have the same setup in one form or another, but not arranged in quite the same convenient way.

The backscene can be mostly tall buildings in differing shades of grey, but there can also be a steep slope of greenery going up to the quarry behind the works site. The movement of cement product from the works to the bagging plant can be represented by covered conveyor belts and the movement of coal from the storage area to the kilns by open versions.

I think that the small engine shed could be just a single track affair and just the end be modelled against the backscene. The bagging plant could be a simple platform with doors represented - a view blocker at the front of the layout. The loading silos could be just a couple instead of the five (at least) that exist at Hope, and the coal shed just a shortened version, slightly inboard of the engine shed.

My first task will be to assemble some scale card mock-ups to check all this out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

And access to the site is from Pindale Road. :)

I have cycled from Hope up Pindale Hill and round the back of the cement works quarry. A ride I will do just the once, thank you :o

I ended coming down a hill into Bradwell which was so steep I had to get off for fear of going over the handlebars.  The only time I have failed on a hill descent :P

I do like the idea of a cement works layout,  some nice choices of stock available in a variety of eras. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, 9C85 said:

I have cycled from Hope up Pindale Hill and round the back of the cement works quarry. A ride I will do just the once, thank you :o

I ended coming down a hill into Bradwell which was so steep I had to get off for fear of going over the handlebars.  The only time I have failed on a hill descent :P

I do like the idea of a cement works layout,  some nice choices of stock available in a variety of eras. 

There's some 'interesting' off-road trails around the back of the cement works taking you up onto the moors.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...