Pindale Road Cement

• RMweb Gold

A short while ago I decided to try out AnyRail as a planning tool. It was used to assist another modeller to establish a baseplan for his new layout and has since sat on my PC doing nothing.

I brought it into use to try out formations for Pindale Road and have printed out a 1/4 scale track plan to see if it works on my foamboard models. To my amazement (about my capabilities, not the software's) it seems to have worked.

P1020885_Cropped.JPG.6361bb2e16c3cdbc905fead9e47b03b2.JPG

The next step will be to change the track layout to get rid of all those straight lines, although that might prove difficult given the restricted space. I have to think about coupling and uncoupling on curved track, where to place magnetic uncouplers if necessary, which couplings I could use and all those other things that are important and need to be planned.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

The straight lines have been disposed of and I now have a somewhat more curvy track plan. Is it a good idea to have the exit to the fiddle yard so close to the front of the layout?

P1020890_Cropped.JPG.24af2c707eeaa89bca8523b9f9062483.JPG

If you can work in a plausible view block in front of it, it should work - will the layout be presented with wings and a lighting rig - that will make it even easier?

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2021 at 10:23, Mick Bonwick said:

It could be an adaptation of this - an enclosed overhead conveyor.

IMG_0598.JPG.cf380bad09f5bfa454a55a10137d5e79.JPG

Initially I thought that was a photo of  Bristol Zoo.

Nope, I can't explain it either......

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

The first attempts at a scale model are fast turning into a horrible mess. The result of hurrying to get on with it and not thinking ahead far enough.

P1020900.JPG.de46e2f7b6f43fead3b890876daf1744.JPG

This is about to be scrapped and I'll be preparing for a neater construction, properly planned out and measured. I'm using 5mm foamboard and have managed to unearth a tool that I bought several years ago for a completely different purpose.

P1020902.JPG.d5887e967e7a6456922878d023a880b5.JPG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Assembly work being done on the replacement left-hand module, a much neater rendition.

P1020904.JPG.3b4e37e33d1eecf2aa540756dcfa1330.JPG

The finished article, placed next to the old centre module. Work now starts on the remaining (centre and right-hand) modules, which should be a bit quicker to do now that the principle is established.

P1020905.JPG.15022e448865bf94178f60f6d3f396b0.JPG

The Roket card glue is now used up, so I'll be using Speed Bond PVA for the remaining work. That should not dry with a brown colour!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Just stumbled on this Mick, you’ve kept it quiet. I now understand why progress on Easton may be suffering from other activities in the workshop.

I like the look of what you are planning and know this subject is one close to your heart so I hesitate to ask a question on the plan.....but I’m going to show my ignorance anyway. The rear of the two sidings at the far end of the loop looks to be quite short, could you not take it off the loop a bit earlier, say on the middle board to give a longer and more interesting lead.

PS if you would like to do it in P4 I know where there are some components going begging :wink_mini:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Not deliberately keeping it quiet, Nick, but this stage in the process warranted some disclosure. :P Up until about 3 weeks ago it was all armchair modelling.

The two sidings you mention are for the loco shed and the coal unloading point. The former will only need to accommodate one locomotive and will be depicted as a low-relief closed door at the end of the shed. The latter will hold two or three coal wagons (type will depend on the period being displayed) only, and the heap of coal will be part present and part depicted on a backscene. Maybe.

The long rear loop will be hard against a loading shed at the base of large storage silos, and it is these structures that are my next challenge.

What makes you think P4 would be of interest? :no:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks MIck, I could only read the word ‘shed’ on the plan so that now makes sense. Is it just going to be for your own enjoyment or might it be your intention to exhibit eventually? I’m hoping you go down the later route.

Edited by nickwood
edited to add politeness and correct grammar

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Just found your thread Mick. Nice project and track plan, a perfect home for those lovely weathered Pecketts you've got. :good:

And a few others, too, Steve. The plan is to make it operable by small privately owned motive power as well as that from, shall we say, larger organisations. Eventually!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2021 at 13:38, Mick Bonwick said:

A short while ago I decided to try out AnyRail as a planning tool. It was used to assist another modeller to establish a baseplan for his new layout and has since sat on my PC doing nothing.

I brought it into use to try out formations for Pindale Road and have printed out a 1/4 scale track plan to see if it works on my foamboard models. To my amazement (about my capabilities, not the software's) it seems to have worked.

P1020885_Cropped.JPG.6361bb2e16c3cdbc905fead9e47b03b2.JPG

The next step will be to change the track layout to get rid of all those straight lines, although that might prove difficult given the restricted space. I have to think about coupling and uncoupling on curved track, where to place magnetic uncouplers if necessary, which couplings I could use and all those other things that are important and need to be planned.

And prove to be a right PITA when you forget that your couplings of choice don't like the curves you've gone and installed due to the fact that the subsequent track alignments look better scenically than a straight line of track parallel to the board edge! The downside is they then cause the coupling problems.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed the link on the last posting you did on LM.

Now following with interest.

I have to say that for a while now I have been mulling over a small portable layout but I think I will finish that darned thatching first.......!

Keep up the good work.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There's still a lot more thinking going on than doing, but ideas are forming about motive power (other than Pecketts). Some time ago this chap had some sound installation work done on him, so I think he's going to be at the top of the list for Pindale Road.

IMG_6018_Cropped.jpg.8029728c12e6b68093d6510b135e4ff4.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

One of the contributing factors for this cement works idea was the availability of many good models of rolling stock. I have accumulated a good few examples over the years and had a go at making them look more workmanlike.

IMG_1262_Cropped.jpg.c5c2b9b1b1306c7b948130204351291e.jpg

IMG_1263_Cropped.jpg.3fa3e85b103ba6c5419943058d31c774.jpg

IMG_1261_Cropped.jpg.a6a7bf64acf8751b6d8a153c124c686f.jpg

IMG_3621.JPG.a4c28d0baa3cec615cc6eb17a05da562.JPG

IMG_8094_Cropped.JPG.f0d2663ecdd35e0ff51582ff3f2a4dd0.JPG

IMG_8098_Cropped.JPG.c781e04d2ea1c4ab338b205c954319d0.JPG

IMG_8104_Cropped.JPG.7d4e6492eb22b795068f4d60ee60e9ed.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Nice weathering on the Cemflo wagons. Did they start off as being painted silver?

Thanks, Dave. Yes, they were the pristine models as supplied by Accurascale. There is an account of the process here:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back in 2005, when I was still gainfully employed, I partook of car park attendant duties at a Hope cement works open day. Those of us who were directing traffic and supervising site safety were fed and watered by this vehicle's contents. In light of recent developments elsewhere on this forum I thought that a quick delve through my photograph collection might produce something relevant. It did!

IMG_0557.JPG.55bd25ba3a748784bbe89a3f66713d31.JPG

• Like 5