Frydale workshop

Before Christmas I promised some photos of my workshop test track Frydale. Having built Houghton Street, I found I wanted a ready to go test track in my 8x9' workshop. Frydale is 7' in length plus a short run off in case it goes out. It is designed to be operated from the front with manually operated points. The track is all recycled including the points bought as cripples from a GOG event. The buildings are scratch built from Plastikard and I have made use of several items and structures left over from previous projects.

IMG_20210115_133518.jpg

IMG_20210115_133526.jpg

IMG_20210115_133549.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I like this a lot so much so that I might like to copy it a Dapol sentinel and parkside wagon kits and off we go. Can I be cheeky and ask for a drone shot please? I have a total length of 13ft but if all the complex trackwork would fit on one board (6ft6inches ) that would make life easier.

• Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

I like this a lot so much so that I might like to copy it a Dapol sentinel and parkside wagon kits and off we go. Can I be cheeky and ask for a drone shot please? I have a total length of 13ft but if all the complex trackwork would fit on one board (6ft6inches ) that would make life easier.

A bit tricky in a small space but here we go!

IMG_20210115_155343.jpg

IMG_20210115_155337.jpg

IMG_20210115_155327.jpg

9 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

Thank you for that. It looks do-able with the track I have, 2 second hand points needing repairs and an old unbuilt point kit.

The points have change over slide switch which also acts as a locking mechanism.

• Like 1

This is an inspiration to see what you have achieved in a small space in 7mm scale.

I potentially have an 8'x2' space earmarked for a shunting layout for my MSC themed stock.

I also spotted some side-tipping wagons - I've got one of those in the paint shop at the moment. You found the strength of mind to build more than one!

Keep up the good work

Mol

4 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

This is an inspiration to see what you have achieved in a small space in 7mm scale.

I potentially have an 8'x2' space earmarked for a shunting layout for my MSC themed stock.

I also spotted some side-tipping wagons - I've got one of those in the paint shop at the moment. You found the strength of mind to build more than one!

Keep up the good work

Mol

There are four. If you can't solder when you start you will by the time you have done four! They are a particular favourite. Childhood memories of scrambling over one that had become derailed  and unceremoniously pushed out of the way alongside the river Aire. At one time they were as common as mice but then became virtually extinct within a year or so of collieries closing. My ten year on and off quest for a drawing eventually led me to RT models and I may have played a small part in pursuading them to do a 7mm version.

• Informative/Useful 1

I bought one to brush up on my soldering skills before I started my loco kit. Not perhaps the easiest etched kit to make especially the brake gear with a zillion fiddly bits. When I finished building it, I was glad I hadn't bought the four-pack as I think it would have driven me (more) crazy!

Mine will be finished as a Lancashire Steel Corporation example. Irlam Steelworks had a fleet of them which were used to take waste to the spoil tips, and that involved a run of a couple of miles along the MSC Railway.

Here is probably the best photo I have seen of them at Irlam, though they appear in the background of several other shots and some aerial photos too:

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/industrial-and-light/industrial-steam/lancashire-steel-corporation-ltd-irlam-steel-works

At present I am part-way through the weathering process.

I have also done some artwork for the transfers but not actually ordered them yet.

tipper.jpg

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

I bought one to brush up on my soldering skills before I started my loco kit. Not perhaps the easiest etched kit to make especially the brake gear with a zillion fiddly bits. When I finished building it, I was glad I hadn't bought the four-pack as I think it would have driven me (more) crazy!

Mine will be finished as a Lancashire Steel Corporation example. Irlam Steelworks had a fleet of them which were used to take waste to the spoil tips, and that involved a run of a couple of miles along the MSC Railway.

Here is probably the best photo I have seen of them at Irlam, though they appear in the background of several other shots and some aerial photos too:

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/industrial-and-light/industrial-steam/lancashire-steel-corporation-ltd-irlam-steel-works

I have also done some artwork for the transfers but not actually ordered them yet.

tipper.jpg

Looks like it has been in the canal! Well done! This is a perfect exemplar as to why NOT to begin with a wagon kit! I have my own pet theory about these wagons. Although the design is definitely pre war, the majority were built for the newly nationalised industries after the war. Because of steel shortages and post war austerity, they made use of components from the many thousands of wooden ex PO wagons being condemned at this time. This would explain why so many have split spoke wheels from pre grouping days. It wasn't uncommon to find examples with non matching wheel sets and a wide variety of buffer types. Having spoken to several people who had to use them, none had a good word or a printable comment!

It is perhaps as well that they are not cheap as they could become addictive as there are so many individual variations to model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doilum said:

It is perhaps as well that they are not cheap as they could become addictive as there are so many individual variations to model.

I think I would have to develop a particularly awful streak of masochism to become addicted to building them! But I do totally appreciate the desire to model a rake of similar-but-all-slightly-different wagons.

The kit makes into a lovely model but it's crying out for some castings. Six parts to solder together to make a single brake block? Having said that, I'm pleased I've done the one.

I guess you've seen the book 'Industrial Railway Wagons' which features one on the front cover and several inside?

51 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

I think I would have to develop a particularly awful streak of masochism to become addicted to building them! But I do totally appreciate the desire to model a rake of similar-but-all-slightly-different wagons.

The kit makes into a lovely model but it's crying out for some castings. Six parts to solder together to make a single brake block? Having said that, I'm pleased I've done the one.

I guess you've seen the book 'Industrial Railway Wagons' which features one on the front cover and several inside?

No that's a new one. Wish I had found it years ago.

now all I have to do is find how to stop underlining.

Thats better.

Edited by doilum
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

tipper.jpg

Just a thought. A couple of years ago I revisited Beamish. To my surprise they had a tipper wagon pretty much in the condition of your model. The grey original paint puzzled me at the time but now makes sense. I hope that they realise how rare this survivor is and are able to conserve it before some " artistic director" decided it is beyond repair / spoiling the view of the recreated colliery / the £200 scrap money might be better spent on......

20 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

tipper.jpg

Hi.

That looks fantastic. I'm liking the blue/grey colour too. Can I ask what paint ref that is please?

Thanks

Missy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, -missy- said:

Hi.

That looks fantastic. I'm liking the blue/grey colour too. Can I ask what paint ref that is please?

Thanks

Missy.

Thanks! It's Humbrol matt 105. I'm afraid I didn't choose it very scientifically as the only photos I have of my prototypes are in black and white, but it 'felt right'.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Thanks! It's Humbrol matt 105. I'm afraid I didn't choose it very scientifically as the only photos I have of my prototypes are in black and white, but it 'felt right'.

image.png.7420003642f3e630c28e24e7502a81d6.png

This one? Green?

Missy.

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

Feeling a bit guilty here as we're treading on someone else's thread.

Well I made a mistake, it's actually 106. But it's definitely not green. It is an old tin - maybe they have changed the colours?

No problem!!

The rust is the eyecatcher. The interior condition was probably decided by the nature of the waste carried. From the photos I had, the NCB wagons had a lining of dried slurry not dissimilar to a wheelbarrow that doubles up as a concrete mixer. I guess the steel slag left a polished surface that quickly rusted. The battered end suggests a bucket that has fallen off a time or two and has been replaced by an enthusiastic digger driver.

Edited by doilum
Additional information
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, doilum said:

No problem!!

The rust is the eyecatcher. The interior condition was probably decided by the nature of the waste carried. From the photos I had, the NCB wagons had a lining of dried slurry not dissimilar to a wheelbarrow that doubles up as a concrete mixer. I guess the steel slag left a polished surface that quickly rusted. The battered end suggests a bucket that has fallen off a time or two and has been replaced by an enthusiastic digger driver.

Yes, this one has had a hard life!

I think maybe it has had hot bits dropped into it that have burnt the paint off too. 

Still some more work to do on it yet.

• Like 1