Frydale workshop

In the end this is not a search for the mythical Doncaster green. Each wagon weathers slightly differently and the original colour only matters if you are tempted to build another. There is nothing to say that individual steel works used the same colour. Given that shade of gray, end of a war, there might be a lot of surplus paint originally intended for the navy. Perhaps the red lead undercoat went to the coal board!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, doilum said:

In the end this is not a search for the mythical Doncaster green. Each wagon weathers slightly differently and the original colour only matters if you are tempted to build another. There is nothing to say that individual steel works used the same colour. Given that shade of gray, end of a war, there might be a lot of surplus paint originally intended for the navy. Perhaps the red lead undercoat went to the coal board!

Indeed. And the abuse I have given the paint job has probably changed it too.

I chose grey because Irlam steelworks painted their main line wagons pale grey. I also found various photos of tipping wagons on other lines in pale grey, black, and all-over rust. You're right that the NCB ones seem to have been red lead.

• 3 weeks later...

A few more starting with the 15" gang. I really need to sort out the lighting!

From the left: Bawtry HE 1698(1932) which worked at Wheldale until it was scrapped in 1972. Astley HE 3509 (1947) which worked at Primrose Hill until it closed in 1971. It then went to the area workshop where it sat in the weeds until 1973 when it went for scrap.

Airedale HE 1440 (1923) had a nomadic life ending up at Ackton Hall in 1966. It worked regularly before going to Embassy in 1975.

IMG_20210203_110349.jpg

• Like 1

Just for completion, the 16" Hunslets.

HE 3855 (1954) Glasshoughton no 4. Worked it's entire life there going to Carnforth in 1973.

HE 2705 (1945) Beatrice. Remained at AH until 1975 when it went with Airedale to Embassy.

IMG_20210203_110648.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 16/01/2021 at 18:16, doilum said:

The interior condition was probably decided by the nature of the waste carried.

Oh dear....I was thinking of getting some to go with my Esholt Sewage Works HC 'Nellie' !!  :chok_mini:

1 hour ago, Asterix2012 said:

Do you have a track plan?

Looking for inspiration for something small to work on during lockdown and this looks very good in the space 

Just a quick sketch. The overall length is 84" as I wanted to future proof the layout by not going beyond what might fit in a small bedroom. There is an additional 12" run off board. The back line is separate. Originally I intended it to connect via a double slip but it was all getting too crowded and I couldn't avoid the baseboard join. In the end I kept the line to show case a couple of the wagons.

IMG_20210203_144023.jpg

IMG_20210203_145043.jpg

Edited by doilum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 03060 said:

Oh dear....I was thinking of getting some to go with my Esholt Sewage Works HC 'Nellie' !!  :chok_mini:

It could make a socially distanced exhibition layout. Full DCC sound with background bird song, and a plug in air freshener doctored to that unique corner of the Aire valley.........

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, doilum said:

It could make a socially distanced exhibition layout. Full DCC sound with background bird song, and a plug in air freshener doctored to that unique corner of the Aire valley.........

I've had the idea in my head for a few years now, even have some baseboards readily available with track and some stock already built. Originally inspired by the Enigma Engineering shunting puzzle layout .... I was going to call mine The Sewage Works Shunt.

Having only just come across this thread, via one of your comments elsewhere, your works area immeadiately reminded me a little of what I had/have in mind but I can't decide between the ESW themed layout or a British Oakish coal loading theme .... or something on the early preservation days of the Middleton Railway. I can see the ESW site from where I live and regularly walk across the remnants of part of the trackbed ....but the lure of all of those colliery type engines may be too great. (I have a few ready to build or finish off.) Currently preparing to start a West Highland themed N gauge layout underneath the baseboards mentioned, so still plenty of thinking time available.

I very much like what you've achieved here, very atmospheric and am now following, any information regarding the build of Whitwood No.4, please ? Also, what width is the layout, please ?

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060

The boards are around 19" wide to sit on top of an existing set of cupboards. Whitwood no 4 is a straight forward build of the Agenoria kit with Slater's wheels and pick ups. It is powered on the centre axle by a Canon ABC multistage unit. The only real variation was to accurately model the cab side windows. These vary not only from loco to loco but also between rebuilds as individual colliery fitters struck a balance between draught exclusion and the need to see. It contrasts with its stable mate Fryston no2 which has the appatures welded up.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Frydale is still very much in use both as test track and amusement line. Recently I found myself playing a game of swapping three red and three green locos without any human contact. This week I have taken this a step further by creating a random selector. Each loco has a named stick and these can be mixed up and dealt out . Sometimes one or two of the locos are already in their destination position but there are one or two moves that present a real mental challenge on this analogue layout.IMG_20220624_172223.thumb.jpg.44ab2bb91f1dbac5d3032e4c3bc636be.jpg 

• Like 1