Loksound V5 AUX Wiring - Help Please

TheEastSuffolkman

Hello All,

As I'm starting to get braver delving into DCC modification, I have decided to take on upgrading my Hornby Class 153 (more general post was made in another part of the forum for fitting parts).

Part of this upgrade is to fit sound via an ESU Loksound 21pin decoder on an ESU 51968 21pin Adapter board (with booster circuitry) and wiring in existing and extra lighting functions to the AUX functions.

As part of my prep for wiring I have check Hornby's standard wiring to the Head/Tail light clusters and it has a common negative for the lighting board.

Looking at the ESU manual, the 'U+' for AUX functions would indicate to me that it is a common positive that is required for wiring.

Would anyone me able to help me as to how I should wire in the lighting clusters for directional lighting plus the option for tails both ends if the unit was parked?

Any advise appreciated.

Many Thanks

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Sadly just been having this same issue with my Class 56. Short answer is you can’t do it whilst it is common cathode. Long answer, on my 56 I have had to remove the SMD LEDs and fit new ones reversed to make the boards common anode, rewiring the feeds accordingly. 

Roy

• Like 1

Sadly Hornby Models & DCC are virtually Stone Age, Non Standard Circuitboards & Wiring, no thought normally with DCC lighting in mind, continued use of 8Pin interface and continued bad design for decoders.

Current disasters are:  Class 87 & Class 71 with the Class 800 fitting into the 'Could do Better' section.

We have offered advice to solve these issues as we did with Bachmann (There team are more clued up) but to no avail.

Its so easy today to design an all singing all dancing DCC circuit board designed to fit into 'ANY' locomotive or Multiple Unit, then wire up the features that the said model would use.

I hope things get better on this front, but I am not optimistic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Spent this weekend reversing the SMDs on the lighting boards for a Hornby 153. Finding I am getting quite good at it now! That along with adding saloon and cab lights.

Order for a 21pin 153 decoder coming your way shortly Charlie.

Roy

On 24/01/2021 at 19:03, Roy Langridge said:

Spent this weekend reversing the SMDs on the lighting boards for a Hornby 153. Finding I am getting quite good at it now! That along with adding saloon and cab lights.

Order for a 21pin 153 decoder coming your way shortly Charlie.

Roy

Thanks Roy.

I have some spare 156 Circuit boards here 'IF' you fancy another challenge.   Charlie