LNER Dia 120 Parcels (Pigeon) Vans - did they have steam heating pipes when new?

Rail-Online

Hi,

I am just finishing off my 4 wheel Chivers kit and I have fitted the vacuum pipes but did they have through steam heating pipes as well?  If so were they hanging down below the bufferbeam or upright like the Vac pipes?

Cheers Tony

Edited by Rail-Online

The drawing in Peter Tatlow's Historic Carriage Drawings Vol 3 NPCS shows 3 pipes on the end - vacuum and Westinghouse vertically and steam heat hanging down.  The internal drawing of a D120 I have shows a guard's   "heater" which suggests that they weren't just through piped.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

The internal heater (I went a bit bonkers on my Chivers kit and gave it full interior fittings despite their being borderline impossible to see) was on the guard’s seat side of the draught screen to the right of the seat and at the end of the screen.  It was probably a radiator type of device but the plan shows it in a cabinet; on my van it’s a matt black painted slab glued to the screen.  You can just make it out through the opposite, non ducket side, guard’s door window droplight. 

5 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

Great, thanks guys, Westinghouse as well - I had disregarded this as I thought it was discontinued in all areas except the GER

Cheers Tony

Sorry for hijacking the thread but mention of the Westinghouse air brake prompts me to ask would it have been isolated in late BR days?

Images of the preserved example seem to show that the Westinghouse cylinder is left in situ and is isolated from the braking system by the simple expedient of removing the link between it and the shaft to which is also attached the vacuum brake cylinder linkage.

Would this have been a similar situation in BR days? Certainly some images such as the one shown earlier in the thread show Westinghouse cylinders still in place so would both air and vacuum brake systems be operative at this late stage of their lives or would they have been vacuum brake only with the link removed in a similar fashion to above?