Mol's MSC Layout: "The Boysnope Bump"

The prefab mess room is starting to take shape and here it is trial positioned to make sure it fits OK. 

CE0EF1AE-6AB7-4061-8556-231376967E90.jpeg.52c07ea2632450372aee9a454c3e6fd4.jpeg

I’m intending to have a little cameo here with a sawmill worker having a brew and chatting through the fence to the MSC shunter while he waits for control to call him back on the phone that will be positioned here. 

• Like 6

I have been out and about in the sunshine this weekend, enjoying the ability to go a bit more than walking distance from home and meeting some friends in gardens. 

But there has been time for a bit of modelling and I have been working on the creosoting plant. 

These are normally very long low buildings and I am just modelling one end as a low relief. It is almost entirely scratchbuilt, using one leftover part from the prefab kit and a load of materials I’ve had in stock for 10+ years. I’m representing a steel-framed building clad with asbestos-reinforced cement panels:

A6FF5C9E-D83B-4EBA-9784-B5B860ECD0C1.jpeg.f5a0449adf925b89e5928e2e047ca14b.jpeg

I have not yet modelled the inside - this will have a slightly sunken floor and the back end of the pressure treatment vessel, which will be about 50mm diameter.

There will be some pipework and valves to the pressure vessel, the underground tank (below the shed floor) and a flexible hose to the siding for unloading wagonloads of creosote. 

• Like 2

A small update from a couple more hours work. 

The creosote plant has a coat of primer which makes it look a bit neater.

5E9671E3-C1C4-4E95-9020-D92F6A4853FB.jpeg.6df8bba120c682981402c2be4f1c5823.jpeg

The mess room now has the roof and chimney added. Before fixing the roof on I wanted to make an interior module, part of which is just visible in the photo. 

It’s fairly basic - a booth of bench seating, a worktop and sink along one wall, and another door at the back leading to the washrooms and toilets.

BA1E23F4-E7EE-4EA8-ABE9-024E124D890D.jpeg.c463ff1ad2bb620ace537182ffa45dae.jpeg

This can still be taken in and out from the back, and I’ll add a table and paint it in due course. I’m not going to overboard as it’s at the back of the layout behind a fence and a load of nettles! Maybe a kettle and a few brightly coloured mugs, possibly a light. 

• Like 8

I thought I'd better post an update on these buildings. They're not finished yet but are now painted and mostly weathered, and the next stage is to add the detailing.

Both buildings need a seagull on the roof!

The mess room requires gutters and pipes, door handle, glazing, a bit more work on the interior and some internal lighting. Also a concrete slab path to the door.

creosote_4.jpg.914240d823c0b938b0b73058b14e87f7.jpg

The creosote plant needs the entire interior making (I have some Plastruct bits on order) also some gutters. I have got together the bits for the wagon discharge pipe and have planned how to make its brackets and assemble it, so that may be the next job.

If any of you are musicians you may now want to read about what I did to a bass guitar string!

creosote_3.jpg.b83a968a69043efcad29a23f73e6a908.jpg

I need to build the gates and the bufferstop and install them too. Then cover up the remaining cork with ballast, grass or other appropriate surface material.

This little area is taking longer than I had anticipated but I'm quite pleased with how it is developing.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Here's a trial fit of the gates before I paint them and fit the mesh and barbed wire. All seems OK.

I'll be able to finish off the last length of fence once the gateposts are finally installed.

They will normally be left in the open position when operating:

Gates_1.jpg.d9ca618c0537bbd22ecc750912173b34.jpg

But can be closed (manually) if desired for photos etc:

Gates_2.jpg.bf65105c3777bbe9dcada5cd535e38a3.jpg

I briefly considered motorising them and decided it was an unnecessary gimmick.

Also seen in the background of these photos is the hose that can be used to unload creosote tank wagons parked on this siding. Here's a closer view:

Gates_3.jpg.57d3698b331e8622138e596d31b0862b.jpg

This is made in the style of these two installations seen on Paul Bartlett's website:

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/oilterminals/e1a9e3ad6

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/oilterminals/e1c28418e

In my case the creosote tank is (in theory) underground beneath the shed, so all I need is a flexible hose long enough to reach under a wagon, a valve and elbow, and some brackets for the hose to be stored on.

The valve is from Duncan Models and the solid pipe parts are from offcuts of copper tube.

The hose itself is a bass guitar string, Eddie Ball 0.100" diameter. This has just the right look to match the prototype but was far too springy and too shiny. I heated it up to red heat and let it cool slowly, which cured both problems.

As in all industries the world over, the hose hasn't been stowed properly and lies partly curled on the ground as a trip hazard! There are also creosote stains all over the concrete pad, though in this bright sunlight they aren't as obvious as under normal lighting.

While the gates work their way through the paint shop I will make a start on the bufferstop.

This just gets better and better.
You are capturing that 'seen better days' atmosphere that I was so familiar with in the early 70s.
Regards,
Chris.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind words. I thought I'd take advantage of a bit of sun to photograph the whole board outside, here it is from a few different angles:

overview_2.jpg.aee930c532cddd8148cc63522e1643e6.jpg

overview_3.jpg.b6d270b1d6a336c0050b71015a3d63b6.jpg

overview_4.jpg.7b0c609eab9400adcb425b8639b177af.jpg

Note that the bits of wood sticking up at the ends are to enable me to turn the layout over and rest it on those without damaging the scenery. They will be removed eventually!

Whilst there is still plenty to do before it's finished, It feels like I'm more than half way there now.

Next major tasks are:

• Landscape the back right corner
  • Complete the remaining bushes and trees on the canal bank and in the back right corner
  • Complete the footpaths and vegetation around the creosote plant
  • Build two more low-relief buildings for the sawmill, and the brick wall that runs between them and the track
  • Build the ferry landing stage on the front right corner
  • More details in the canal, then a glossy water surface
  • Backscene board
  • Upgrade the single-track headshunt (not in these photos) to a 2-track sector plate
  • Modify the furniture in my living room to fit it into its final position

Later there will be a host of minor details to add, such as animals, people, telegraph poles and phones, etc.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 7

2 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Thanks for your kind words. I thought I'd take advantage of a bit of sun to photograph the whole board outside, here it is from a few different angles:

overview_2.jpg.aee930c532cddd8148cc63522e1643e6.jpg

overview_3.jpg.b6d270b1d6a336c0050b71015a3d63b6.jpg

overview_4.jpg.7b0c609eab9400adcb425b8639b177af.jpg

Note that the bits of wood sticking up at the ends are to enable me to turn the layout over and rest it on those without damaging the scenery. They will be removed eventually!

Whilst there is still plenty to do before it's finished, It feels like I'm more than half way there now.

Next major tasks are:

• Landscape the back right corner
  • Complete the remaining bushes and trees on the canal bank and in the back right corner
  • Complete the footpaths and vegetation around the creosote plant
  • Build two more low-relief buildings for the sawmill, and the brick wall that runs between them and the track
  • Build the ferry landing stage on the front right corner
  • More details in the canal, then a glossy water surface
  • Backscene board
  • Upgrade the single-track headshunt (not in these photos) to a 2-track sector plate
  • Modify the furniture in my living room to fit it into its final position

Later there will be a host of minor details to add, such as animals, people, telegraph poles and phones, etc.

Lovely job my friend.
Regards,
Chris.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Life has been rather busy for the past couple of weeks, partly due to some bits falling off trains (full size) so I've not had much chance for modelling. The pubs reopening has played a part in that too!

I recently bought a copy of the Marsden Rail DVD of the Manchester Ship Canal, which was mostly filmed in the 1950s and 1960s.

To modern eyes, the image quality isn't great but there are some very interesting sequences and subjects. Mostly about the ships, the railway gets a look-in occasionally.

Most interestingly with regard to this layout, there are some shots taken from the place I am modelling - the Morgan Wallwork sidings at Irlam. Here are few screenshots which are the first colour views I have of this location.

Happily I don't think I'm too far off the mark with the model.

Morgan_Wallwork_6.jpg

Morgan_Wallwork_5.jpg

Morgan_Wallwork_4.jpg

Morgan_Wallwork_3.jpg

Morgan_Wallwork_2.jpg

Morgan_Wallworks.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Very nice work Mol! Long time no see! Hope you're doing well. 

Thanks! I’m OK, the trainset has been keeping me busy in lockdown but now real life is getting busy too. 

Back to Wales in just over a week, in the meantime I have been spending a fair bit of time working for Northern recently...

Mol

• 1 month later...

Progress on the layout and rolling stock has been glacial recently - I have been busy doing all the things I wasn't able to do in the first few months of the year, and the toy trains have had to take a back seat.

Another thing holding up progress on the layout were two baby fish. Why? Well, the layout is replacing a fish tank in the living room, and when I started emptying it a few weeks ago (having moved the fish to a different tank) I found some tiny newly-hatched catfish fry. They would have been too sensitive to move to a different tank and at that size might have been eaten by something else. So I decided to keep the tank running while they grew a bit. That has now occurred and I have moved them in with their parents today. The tank where the layout now belongs was emptied, and I've attacked the bookcase to make the hole where the fiddle yard sector plate will fit.

This afternoon I have trial-fitted the layout board in place, and fortunately it fits:

layout_in_place.jpg.b2779d2a3d8366c32e7cbb5de7723b86.jpg

There is still some work to do on the surroundings, including plaster repairs and a repaint, making the fiddle yard hole neater, and installing lighting and a valance under the shelf above. But already it gives the general idea.

Hopefully I can get on with those tasks over the next few weeks when time allows.

• Like 16

Some progress around the edges over the last couple of days.

I have made good the plaster on the wall behind, though this is yet to be sealed and painted.

I have made, stained and fitted the valance.

layout_3.jpg.b82037ff3b14d856871b9d25106982a4.jpg

I have mounted some LED strip lighting behind it. The routing of the wires obviously needs a bit of improvement (!), but I will need to lengthen them first. These lights are recycled from the fish tank that was here before.

In this photo they're being rather outperformed by the midsummer evening sun which is why there's a shadow at the left hand end - it's only a few evenings a year the sun falls on the layout location.

layout_4.jpg.5112207eda1593ba96d5fd5c0b70ae78.jpg

Next job is to put all the books back on the shelves!

The next few days I'll be working in 305mm:ft scale, back next week.

• Like 14

19 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Some progress around the edges over the last couple of days.

I have made good the plaster on the wall behind, though this is yet to be sealed and painted.

I have made, stained and fitted the valance.

layout_3.jpg.b82037ff3b14d856871b9d25106982a4.jpg

I have mounted some LED strip lighting behind it. The routing of the wires obviously needs a bit of improvement (!), but I will need to lengthen them first. These lights are recycled from the fish tank that was here before.

In this photo they're being rather outperformed by the midsummer evening sun which is why there's a shadow at the left hand end - it's only a few evenings a year the sun falls on the layout location.

layout_4.jpg.5112207eda1593ba96d5fd5c0b70ae78.jpg

Next job is to put all the books back on the shelves!

The next few days I'll be working in 305mm:ft scale, back next week.

This is looking REALLY TIDY.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've made some more progress on the wall behind, which is now flat and painted in an off-white with a tiny hint of blue-grey.

Also the lighting is now properly wired in and can be seen doing its job here.

layout_5.jpg.125018a0d42d85a9ff5239c1c9067597.jpg

Next major task is to build the sector plate fiddle yard, that may have to wait a week or two until I have a free weekend. But for now, it's looking OK.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...