Mol's MSC Layout: "The Boysnope Bump"

The etches have arrived from 4Dmodelshop. At first glance they look good, I now have a wide choice of which projects to work on as several have been on hold awaiting parts on these etches.

That's not 4Dmodelshop's fault, once they came back from their Christmas break they've turned these etches round within just a few days which is excellent service.

The brass one (of which there are two copies) is primarily for two more container flats of a different type on a former War Office chassis, but also contains some parts for containers, Conflat ISO, signs for the layout, and some small details for the Kitson:

SWB_etch.jpg.5896f338a6d0801e2ec51d45922d0bbc.jpg

The nickel silver one is primarily for the Kitson loco, but also contains some overlays for an unusual container:

kitson_etch.jpg.1bfc2ef889f6f57b5032ac4ac67e94db.jpg

Now, where on earth shall I start? First, I've got some more panels to line on the Planet!

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

18 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Thanks all!

To slightly misquote the famous song, White Lines are Blowing My Mind!

This is a warts-and-all closeup showing the progress since yesterday's photo. I've now done 5 panels on the bonnet and 4 on the cab, so I'm just over half way there.

Planet_4.jpg.764e89d8c6520f62fb39d04b8f892164.jpg

The upper cab front panel is going to be the most difficult to line, I think. The bonnet top might be pretty tricky too. Then I need to do the cabside lettering.

This is going to be the smartest model Planet in history, for a few hours, until I get the weathering kit out!

Excellent news is that my custom etches from 4Dmodelshop should be arriving tomorrow morning. They seem determined to be quicker every time - they only got my artwork on Tuesday and after discussion of some minor tweaks I approved the revisions on Wednesday.

That means that several stalled projects are going to be unlocked tomorrow - I'll have to decide which to focus on first.

Further excellent news is that Paul Martin of EDM Models is going to make me a custom 3-D printed chimney for the Kitson. He also sorted me out with the sound project and DCC components for this Planet. A very helpful chap!

I've also just won my first road vehicle on eBay, thanks to being encouraged by @pwr and @37114 to look at the IXO range. Since I've started building container wagons and containers I thought it would be good to have a road vehicle to carry containers too. Needless to say, nothing is simple because my preferred prototypes don't exist in the right scale, but I've bought something similar and I have a cunning plan to create a scene like this:

image.png.81a92d56a6e7482a9f416d661f9e05a6.png

That's it for tonight.

Mol

Lovely work, Mol.
Ah Volvo 86. They were a huge luxury to drivers used to the old wagons. Fast comfy, with a heater that worked.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

Lovely work, Mol.
Ah Volvo 86. They were a huge luxury to drivers used to the old wagons. Fast comfy, with a heater that worked.
Regards,
Chris.

Indeed - a Volvo F86 is what I desire. However, they are not available in 1:43.

I have purchased a Volvo F89, from just a few years later. I think the chassis is basically right, but it needs a different cab.

I am hoping that by starting with this:

image.png.ff6d6c68b6dea283ff498a65a3d375f7.png

I may be able to add this printed to an appropriate scale:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/volvo-f86-printable-cabin-truck-hora80

image.png.90f775ffa4d9bc431756076524ff55f9.png

Unfortunately I have no clue about 3D printing! Can anyone tell me how to turn the pretty render into a lump of plastic of the right size? I'm happy to throw money at the situation to make this happen...

FXS190FVolvoF864x2unit_GP-vi.jpg.af81f1b16ebe45b476037647345d6703.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Indeed - a Volvo F86 is what I desire. However, they are not available in 1:43.

I have purchased a Volvo F89, from just a few years later. I think the chassis is basically right, but it needs a different cab.

I am hoping that by starting with this:

image.png.ff6d6c68b6dea283ff498a65a3d375f7.png

I may be able to add this printed to an appropriate scale:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/volvo-f86-printable-cabin-truck-hora80

image.png.90f775ffa4d9bc431756076524ff55f9.png

Unfortunately I have no clue about 3D printing! Can anyone tell me how to turn the pretty render into a lump of plastic of the right size? I'm happy to throw money at the situation to make this happen...

FXS190FVolvoF864x2unit_GP-vi.jpg.af81f1b16ebe45b476037647345d6703.jpg

I did wonder if you had bought an F88 or F89 as I know you were after an F86. I can't help with the 3d printing bit but if you get someone to do the work for you I would suggest getting them to do some work on that render or starting again as a few bits jumped out at me, the roof in particular looks a bit strange especially above the windscreen 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 37114 said:

I did wonder if you had bought an F88 or F89 as I know you were after an F86. I can't help with the 3d printing bit but if you get someone to do the work for you I would suggest getting them to do some work on that render or starting again as a few bits jumped out at me, the roof in particular looks a bit strange especially above the windscreen 

I agree there are a few slightly odd bits. I guess with the 3D printing plastic/resin it isn't so easy to just round it off with some emery paper? It's the front of the roof that looks most odd and probably tricky to fix.

I don't have any raw data such as drawings or scans of a real one, and this isn't really a core project so there's a limit to how far I want to go with it. Maybe I'll just have the truck facing away from the viewer?

ml-flyingfish-1972.jpg.9b2a1fd480adb20a9aa04dbdb01709b6.jpg

(These are all Manchester Liners Volvo F86's, Craig was one of their subsidiaries too)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

I agree there are a few slightly odd bits. I guess with the 3D printing plastic/resin it isn't so easy to just round it off with some emery paper? It's the front of the roof that looks most odd and probably tricky to fix.

I don't have any raw data such as drawings or scans of a real one, and this isn't really a core project so there's a limit to how far I want to go with it. Maybe I'll just have the truck facing away from the viewer?

(These are all Manchester Liners Volvo F86's, Craig was one of their subsidiaries too)

It should be something you can sand up a bit, I had no issues sanding down some bits on my Leyland National bus. From behind it looks OK.

• Like 1

The first things I've taken off the new etches are some signs and plates.

The number and works plates for the Kitson, as well as those for the Planet are now painted red and will have the high spots polished off when the paint is properly hardened (the Planet plates come with the kit, the Kitson ones are my own artwork)

Various lineside signs have been attached to odd bits of rail or tube (as per prototype) and primed; they will be painted up further in due course for use on the layout. All are based on real examples on the MSC Railways although not necessarily in the exact location of my layout.

signs2.jpg.ca3c53fa4eba5e009715e224e0900671.jpg

whistle.jpg.54b1bef8e95c459cfb5f639109e3cd90.jpgtch.jpg.3f8192bb2c124c07153ab3e656d017ba.jpg1525_post.jpg.2bbb2f2cdd7d4f44b3e11ab6ffde07ac.jpg

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

A Vickers Merchantman, if I'm not mistaken.
Chris.

• Informative/Useful 1

More progress today on several little things, but very enjoyable.

I have finished painting the signposts and fitted them to the layout, as shown in these photos:

Considering these were a last-minute 'space filler' addition to my custom etch, I'm really pleased with how they have turned out and they certainly add some atmosphere. Even the smallest lettering is almost legible, though not at normal viewing distances.

I've applied the 'slightly-down-at-heel' look which pervades my layout. These photos are rather cruel close-ups...

The MSC 'Single Line Control' notice. There will be a telephone here eventually too. Also the 'Staff Only' on the sawmills mess room door behind:

MSCSLC.jpg.7b692e2d4fed0d293a1dde0268ce09da.jpg

An advertising sign for the sawmills. This is certainly typical, probably not prototypical for this location, but I think it looks good:

MWfortimber.jpg.d674f6b45ea6f470a803ad64fb6eb44e.jpg

Staying on the sawmill side of the fence, but not currently installed on the layout is the creosoting plant, which now has a sign too:

creosote_5.jpg.63a4ffd7982b9fea0707e01b13b5e617.jpg

This is a canal distance post; they're measured in some odd nautical distance measure. The yellow paint is peeling but it's not quite as dilapidated as the real thing is now!

1525.jpg.81f5e6cea5559de6561adb50247aa62d.jpg

At one end of the layout there is a foot crossing leading to steps down to a ferry across the canal. The steps need handrails and the landing stage isn't built at all yet, but there are now signs for the crossing and the ferry:

ferry_steps.jpg.3cb7d492758339140124b9bf9057569a.jpg

And the crossing also has whistle signs on the railway:

whistle2.jpg.4827bf01baf0dc7059c86ce46f1bd014.jpg

Changing tack slightly, I have polished off the worksplates and numberplates for the Kitson and the Planet. The ones for the Planet are now fitted to the loco, the Kitson isn't ready for them yet.

plates_1.jpg.cb08524a769912276c1b54ee5bc9f78e.jpg

Wouldn't the big plate look better polished and painted? Or is that 'not the done thing'?

Further good news is that @ngtrains.com  can print both my Kitson chimney and the Volvo F86 cab, which is great news. Watch this space for more progress on those projects.

Edited by Mol_PMB
typo
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Thanks!

The Planet will indeed have an Uproar sound file. Strictly speaking it’s the wrong sort of engine, but it’s what my mind says a Planet ought to sound like!

Excellent. Had  the same conversation with Paul for when I build my Planet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

I have finished painting the signposts and fitted them to the layout, as shown in these photos:

Considering these were a last-minute 'space filler' addition to my custom etch, I'm really pleased with how they have turned out and they certainly add some atmosphere. Even the smallest lettering is almost legible, though not at normal viewing distances.

I've applied the 'slightly-down-at-heel' look which pervades my layout. These photos are rather cruel close-ups...

The MSC 'Single Line Control' notice. There will be a telephone here eventually too. Also the 'Staff Only' on the sawmills mess room door behind:

An advertising sign for the sawmills. This is certainly typical, probably not prototypical for this location, but I think it looks good:

Staying on the sawmill side of the fence, but not currently installed on the layout is the creosoting plant, which now has a sign too:

This is a canal distance post; they're measured in some odd nautical distance measure. The yellow paint is peeling but it's not quite as dilapidated as the real thing is now!

At one end of the layout there is a foot crossing leading to steps down to a ferry across the canal. The steps need handrails and the landing stage isn't built at all yet, but there are now signs for the crossing and the ferry:

Changing tack slightly, I have polished off the worksplates and numberplates for the Kitson and the Planet. The ones for the Planet are now fitted to the loco, the Kitson isn't ready for them yet.

Wouldn't the big plate look better polished and painted? Or is that 'not the done thing'?

Further good news is that @ngtrains.com  can print both my Kitson chimney and the Volvo F86 cab, which is great news. Watch this space for more progress on those projects.

Given there's almost nothing left of the original finish I say paint and polish it, as it would have been when the loco was in service.

6 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Given there's almost nothing left of the original finish I say paint and polish it, as it would have been when the loco was in service.

Thanks - that was my thought too. It looks like a previous owner has made some attempt to remove most of the paint. 

My other hobby is full-size steam loco restoration and operation, I know these plates would have been polished daily and repainted every few years. To me, it feels more realistic to have it repainted and polished (as well as looking good for display). 

17 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

This layout is an inspiration and a joy, MOL.
I love the workmanship and attention to detail you have.
I know 'The Park' was my MSC Railway 'land', but this always brings back memories for me.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

This layout is an inspiration and a joy, MOL.
I love the workmanship and attention to detail you have.
I know 'The Park' was my MSC Railway 'land', but this always brings back memories for me.
Regards,
Chris.

Thanks again Chris! My inspiration is photos and recollections like yours, so I'm delighted that I'm achieving that.

Regards,

Mol

• Thanks 1

I know it's 4mm, but I wonder if the forth-coming Sentinel 0-6-0 in MSC livery will stimulate any Stanlow layouts.
I never saw the Stanlow locos. Will I be getting a couple?
Damn straight, Manchester Steel has to have a couple and I have to have one in MSC livery to add to my collection.
Now I wonder if Hornby can be persuaded to make the 'Castles'?:lol:
Chris.

• Like 1

Good thoughts, I'm pleased that they are doing some more MSC and other industrial locos even though they're the wrong scale for me.

A 'Castle' should fit an '08'chassis well, but I suspect is a bit too niche for Hornby.

In 7mm I'm waiting for Michael Edge to make an etched kit, which he has hinted at a few times. But plenty of other things to make in the meantime!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Good thoughts, I'm pleased that they are doing some more MSC and other industrial locos even though they're the wrong scale for me.

A 'Castle' should fit an '08'chassis well, but I suspect is a bit too niche for Hornby.

In 7mm I'm waiting for Michael Edge to make an etched kit, which he has hinted at a few times. But plenty of other things to make in the meantime!

You and me both!
I'm sure Mike thinks, "Oh No not him again!" when he sees me walking up to his stand.
I have three things I ask him about, his six-coupled Sentinel steam loco kit, the 'Castles' and a Yorkshire Engine Company 0-4-0 saddle tank.
Mike's kits are superb, I am a very satisfied customer. He fills that important niche in railway modelling, making prototypes nobody else does.
He is happy to give advice and help builders.
I think he will produce a 'Castle' kit before long.:lol:
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It’s been a while since I did anything on the layout itself, but today I decided to do some more work on the sector plate fiddle yard. 

This morning I found some offcuts of copperclad strip and some card to space it up to the right height, and then glued all that in place under some weights. 

This evening I found some old lengths of track and cleaned them up a bit. 

With the fiddle yard connected to the layout I soldered the short fixed lengths of rail in place. 

Then I sorted out the alignment of the two tracks on the sector plate and soldered the interface end in place. 

Finally I aligned the rest with some temporary pins and blocks, and glued it down. This photo was just before putting the weights in place to hold it down:

F25D7742-26D2-4C84-BB56-EDC0C39E0E48.jpeg.d6737388ae7adcad935342d74d1bc305.jpeg

Tomorrow I need to do some wiring and gapping of copperclad, also some form of aligning the tracks. 

I also need to arrange a little switchboard for the points on the scenic section, and that will be positioned on the base of the fiddle yard. 

I need a session of railhead cleaning too. 

Then perhaps I can finally operate the layout as intended! 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1