GWR wartime locomotive fittings

I'm currently working on a GWR grange that I'm doing up in early wartime condition (pre-1942). I've seen plenty of threads on here about wartime liveries, but little about any other fittings given to locomotives during the war. After trying to read up about these, as well as watching a few documentaries, I know that GWR engines had their side windows blanked out and had cover sheets between the loco and tender during the night so enemy planes didn't spot their fires. I've also heard about one or two other things so I'm asking whether or not I've missed anything. Also does anyone have any decent pictures of these as I'm struggling to find any?

Hi there, 

You may find it useful to take a look at two pictures that I took at Didcot back in 2015 here. It's images 11 and 12 in the list of images, both show the GWS's 3822 with wartime mods; the first image shows the detail of the cabside blanking plate, and the second image is a "picture of a picture" showing the loco in running condition with the wartime cab topsheet cover in place. 

Hope this helps - but you're right, images and written text on these wartime mods is somewhat rare. 

Cheers,

CoY

• Thanks 2