LBSCR 4 wheel brake van

Jason Pape

Happy New Year!! I’m looking for a drawing any scale (or a 4mm scale plastic or etched model) of a LBSCR twin veranda 4 wheeled brake but so far I can’t find a plan of the one I’m looking for. I’ve seen a few pictures of the right design but so far I’ve drawn a blank. I found a 3D rendering of the brakevan but I’m not sure if it’s accurate, it shows only one side of the vehicle too.

51314D9C-5453-49A4-9D0E-7906D60F2FDA.jpeg

Edited by Jason Pape
I forgot to add a picture

I don't think there are any 4mm scale plastic or etched models but there are other sources depending on what period you're after ............ the Hornby 'Brighton' van isn't exactly state of the art ( I'm not sure it ever was ) but will represent a van from the last years before grouping - and the Finecast kit is a type introduced in 1894 and lasting to WW2 ................... yes, Mike King's Vol.2 has the details.

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't think there are any 4mm scale plastic or etched models but there are other sources depending on what period you're after ............ the Hornby 'Brighton' van isn't exactly state of the art ( I'm not sure it ever was ) but will represent a van from the last years before grouping - and the Finecast kit is a type introduced in 1894 and lasting to WW2 ................... yes, Mike King's Vol.2 has the details.

Thank you Wickham Green

I didn’t know Hornby made a LBSCR van I knew of their dancehall and LSWR vans. Do you have any pictures?

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Chivers did etched kits for the four and six wheeled brake vans, but, sadly, they've not been available for some time, and they are not featuring in the resurrection of the range, which is concentrating on the plastic kits.

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

maybe the width's correct for the earlier van ?.

I forgot about that. The 4-wheeler should be 7'9" wide, the 6-wheeler, 8'0". What bugs me about that model is that the solebar looks too deep; looking at the drawings and photos in Southern Wagons Vol 1., the reason is that the side rail isn't deep enough; it's got its bottom in line with the top of the headstocks whereas it should overlap the solebar by about 3". Evidently a fault of the kit. @Skinnylinny's laser cut version is correct:

397086114_LBSCGoodsBrakeSRD1568Linnykitaxleboxes.JPG.c9cad4ae98ec4c113c4158943f7e5b79.JPG

Axleboxes and buffers are from 5&9.

I found a plan of the van the Hornby LBSCR van is based on and I repositioned multiple scans with paper, glue and scissors using a photo of the van, the number, weight and dimensions are probably wrong but hopefully they’re close. Some of the paper parts were very fiddly to cut out. I’ve also noticed that my reworked van has an extra set of handrails on the body too.

AA554252-E552-4BBD-A441-ED07204A1FA8.jpeg

8A35F7F1-9F5E-4F1E-AA28-7E9863DD8A04.jpeg

B60B9E8A-4629-4001-A4EE-F9AC771E4632.jpeg

Edited by Jason Pape
I forgot to add an image
  • Like 2