Travelling Post Office lineside equipment and mail vans

Jason Pape

I’m hoping to model a TPO service on my model railway but I can’t find any suitable drawings of the lineside nets etc. I would also like to know of any drawings of pre grouping/ early big four TPO vehicles because my layout is set in the Victorian/ Edwardian period. I particularly like the carriage designs of the midland railway, LBSCR,  LSWR and GWR but anything similar would be great.

I bought a book Great Western Travelling Post Office jg hosegood wild swan.

There are some diagrams on the internet, I used google and searched for tpo, travelling post office nets or something like that and found

http://www.bpodmore.co.uk/projects/ground gear.htm

A video of Didcot  travelling post office operating is on you tube.

Some general diagrams at

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/coach_draw.htm

• RMweb Gold

I'm modelling the GN early postal stock, there isn't a lot of info and I've had to rely on photo's of the stock parked up in sidings during the daytime.

I produced my own etches for them.

4 wheeled vans

506.JPG.ff921a6bf2c6549dbf4ef3d7195db0b7.JPG

And a 6 Wheel sorting van.

509.JPG.dfffc13135c79c06c2db2f35d2863bee.JPG

There is a diagram for another 6W sorting van and the test etches for those have now arrived.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Jason Pape said:

I’m hoping to model a TPO service on my model railway but I can’t find any suitable drawings of the lineside nets etc. I would also like to know of any drawings of pre grouping/ early big four TPO vehicles because my layout is set in the Victorian/ Edwardian period. I particularly like the carriage designs of the midland railway, LBSCR,  LSWR and GWR but anything similar would be great.

The Railway Modeller for 1998 June had drawings and building a model of a Midland TPO.