Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst Model Trains Of 2020?

I watched one of his videos - the one where he ran a (thankfully) cheap loco under water, to see if it could be done. His OTT enthusiasm and constant I say constant wittering made me think of those videos of somebody playing an XBox/Playstation/console-flavour-of-your-choice and commenting upon their own progress...

O/T Why do kids watch long YouTube videos of somebody else playing a game instead of playing it themselves? I just don't get it!

I will not be watching any more of his efforts!

Sam's Trains - HOURS OF FUN DUMB!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Text editor errors due to someone being on a WhatsApp video call!!!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

6 minutes ago, Iskra said:

The Times They Are a-Changin’

I believe they have already changed.  In defence of Sam and others with similar approaches - they are entitled to their opinion just as others can disagree.  We live in a country where free speech should be encouraged and supported.  Sadly, social media seems to be a platform where free speech is far from tolerated these days.

Edit: Should have added, if Sam or anyone else should overstep the mark then manufacturers can always raise complaints with YouTube or ultimately the law.

Kind regards

Paddy

Edited by Paddy

2 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

OT Why do kids watch long YouTube videos of somebody else playing a game instead of playing it themselves?

I asked my daughter this and she is equated live game streaming to watching any other sport...

Kind regards

Paddy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

I asked my daughter this and she is equated live game streaming to watching any other sport...

Kind regards

Paddy

Ah, now "live game streaming" I get - these are usually competitions and you don't hear the person playing giving a mindless self commentary as they play! 

I'm not totally disconnected from today's 'yoof', you know - I have a Playstation 2 and quite a few games for it not bought at the local hospice shop! (As an aside, if anyone knows how to progress further than level 4 of The Incredibles I would be really grateful for a few tips - email me at howoldareyou@getalife.com)

LOL

• Funny 5

2 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Ah, now "live game streaming" I get - these are usually competitions and you don't hear the person playing giving a mindless self commentary as they play! 

I'm not totally disconnected from today's 'yoof', you know - I have a Playstation 2 and quite a few games for it not bought at the local hospice shop! (As an aside, if anyone knows how to progress further than level 4 of The Incredibles I would be really grateful for a few tips - email me at howoldareyou@getalife.com)

LOL

The recorded game play is primarily down to finding out "tips" on how to progress in games.  I bit like using cheat POKEs back on your ZX Spectrum in the 1980s. ;)

Kind regards

Paddy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm... Don't really know what to make of it. His youthful approach is a big plus point for him. But, any review needs to be balanced. Running around on a carpet is a bit of a no-no, and the power drops on his layout doesn't serve to enhance the model he's reviewing. If young Sam had a 'standard layout arrangement*' then people could  compare model for model. 

By Standard layout arrangement, I mean the yardstick by which he himself rates the model ( any model ) that he cares to review.   Unless the layout is absolutely standard as per all of his reviews, then it's not exactly useful. 

I'd respectfully suggest to Sam that he gets his layout as a standard to satisfy himself, and get it onto Youtube, or any other media. That way, both the viewers and himself  get into a more professional approach. Good luck to him, I say. I was 10 once...... It was a Wednesday.... 

From the back view of Sams videos, it would appear that he's got sufficient room to get it up off the floor. IHMO, do it, and do it soon. 

There are some really, really good models out there,  and, some real howlers to boot.  Like him or hate him, Sam appears to try his best. I'd just wish his review criteria was a bit more continuous standard, 

Yes, good luck to him. 

Ian. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Not in to social media Andy - I follow The N Gauge Forum, RMweb and some YouTube channels but that is about.  As for Facebook etc. - they all seem to be rapidly becoming a force for bad rather than good.

Kind regards

Paddy

Paddy, I hate to break it to you - you're in Social Media - a web forum is just an older design of Social Media, whether you care to admit it or not, you are in it.

It's just here you are in the moderated end of the spectrum with people who have a vested interest in having truth being spoken or opinions shared which will not harm others.

Facebook is not evil, it's misguided and driven by the need to accumulate wealth through knowledge but it is not peddling extremist views, but there are such places and it's where people driven off Twitter, Facebook etc reside.

The good news is that places like Facebook and Youtube offer options similar to RMWeb - you can choose to ignore content, ask not to be shown stuff you don't want to see and you only need to share an email address with Facebook to then get access to the many forums on there that chat about model and real railways.  That said I've not seen anything on Facebook that has anything like the depth or detail of RMWeb so it's here I spend most time and only briefly scan Facebook sites to see what trains images people are sharing.

• Thanks 1

Smart-arse's Trains' YouTube channel is the ultimate ratings-driven goldfish-bowl. 

He rapturously doles out the sarcasm, hiding behind his kindergarten carpet trainset as stage and backdrop.

I wonder quite how eager he would be to give his Brio based Punch and Judy shows to a real audience made up of the various companies' engineers, who would gladly put him straight.  

Well, I don't really need to wonder do I.  His is the next layout trope; rather than the bus on the bridge, he's the troll under it.

NOTE to Editors:  The above views are entirely personal and the foregoing is spoken in a completely independent and freelance capacity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

17 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I believe they have already changed.  In defence of Sam and others with similar approaches - they are entitled to their opinion just as others can disagree.  We live in a country where free speech should be encouraged and supported.  Sadly, social media seems to be a platform where free speech is far from tolerated these days.

Edit: Should have added, if Sam or anyone else should overstep the mark then manufacturers can always raise complaints with YouTube or ultimately the law.

Kind regards

Paddy

You're correct he can spout all he likes as long as it's within the law.

And all we're doing here is disagreeing with him and giving our opinion without insulting him which I think is fair.

Free speech is tolerated on all platforms, it is people who are censoring free speech not the social media giants.   OK there is one glaring incident of recent days where someone has been banned from all general social media sites and probably because he was sowing extremism that was resulting in people dying.  There is a real concern amongst many people that that was a step too far because the social media giants have applied a judgement on an individual whilst not applying the same rules to other authoritarian regimes, and actually acting as judge and jury when they have spent so long saying they don't control content and being above certain expectations and laws regarding published content.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Paddy, I hate to break it to you - you're in Social Media - a web forum is just an older design of Social Media, whether you care to admit it or not, you are in it.

It's just here you are in the moderated end of the spectrum with people who have a vested interest in having truth being spoken or opinions shared which will not harm others.

Facebook is not evil, it's misguided and driven by the need to accumulate wealth through knowledge but it is not peddling extremist views, but there are such places and it's where people driven off Twitter, Facebook etc reside.

The good news is that places like Facebook and Youtube offer options similar to RMWeb - you can choose to ignore content, ask not to be shown stuff you don't want to see and you only need to share an email address with Facebook to then get access to the many forums on there that chat about model and real railways.  That said I've not seen anything on Facebook that has anything like the depth or detail of RMWeb so it's here I spend most time and only briefly scan Facebook sites to see what trains images people are sharing.

Hi Woodenhead,

Thank you for your reply.  I will try to address your detailed response...

I know, I am just a wee bit more selective in my choices but point taken.

Never said FB was "evil" - I chose the word "bad" carefully.  As for FB not peddling extremist views - that is very subjective.  They may not be extreme to you but I can assure you there is content that will cause offence and strong responses from others.  Anyway, enough of this as we are definitely venturing off suitable topics for a toy train forum.

We are in agreement here - many people seem to forget that there is always the off, change channel, close tab button!

Kind regards

Paddy

Edited by Paddy

8 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You're correct he can spout all he likes as long as it's within the law.

And all we're doing here is disagreeing with him and giving our opinion without insulting him which I think is fair.

Free speech is tolerated on all platforms, it is people who are censoring free speech not the social media giants.   OK there is one glaring incident of recent days where someone has been banned from all general social media sites and probably because he was sowing extremism that was resulting in people dying.  There is a real concern amongst many people that that was a step too far because the social media giants have applied a judgement on an individual whilst not applying the same rules to other authoritarian regimes, and actually acting as judge and jury when they have spent so long saying they don't control content and being above certain expectations and laws regarding published content.

You got me to respond again Woodenhead - you are good! :D

Come on, there have been some posts which a sailing VERY close to insulting Sam and his approach. 

Free speech is tolerated on all platforms, it is people who are censoring free speech not the social media giants...

Again, it comes down to an individuals definition of what constitutes "free speech".  Everyone should have the right to offend someone else.  I am not saying I always like it but progress in thought/ideas requires strong discussion and disagreement.

Edit: That is me done or Andy will wrap my knuckles again. :wacko:

Kind regards

Paddy

Edited by Paddy
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am all in favour of freedom of speech as long as it is used appropriately.  If it is causing harm (i.e. a certain elderly gentleman in Washington DC who loses his job on Wednesday) then that human right to freedom of speech must be properly policed for the greater good and withdrawn if necessary. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

While it may be coincidence there are no Hornby or hattons models in the list both of whom I believe have used Sam for exposure in the past. He is not the only ‘social media’ rail celebrity who grates on me maybe I am just too old!

Cheers

mark

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

O/T Why do kids watch long YouTube videos of somebody else playing a game instead of playing it themselves? I just don't get it

This, and the whole influencer thing, seem to me to be predicated in the concept that 'importatnt' people like 'celebrties' have been successful in getting on tv, which is viewed on a screen.  Current tech allows anyone to appear on a screen and thus appear 'important' to those who are taken in by this concept, celebs who are celebs for being famous for being famous.  The psychology behind this reveals the deeply rooted insecurites of an age in which appearance is of ever increasing importance and shallow judgements based on it are the 'norm', and in this version of the world being accepted as 'normal', conforming to certain standards of appearance and behaviour enforced by it's self-reverancial masterbatory nature, is vital.  Join the herd or perish, be one of us, one of us, the more of us there are the better we each feel so long as we don't have to ever look in the sort of mirror that will reflect our fatuosity, shallowness, irrelevance, self loathing, and the sheer terror of the gaping black void where our souls should be.

You will gather from this rant that I am not one of the beautiful people.  A fat, ugly, style vacuum with a bulbuous nose and weak chin looks at me from the mirror every morning (morning, who am I kidding, don't do mornings...), patently a failure who has never made the cut, and I'm growing increasingly fond of this out of fashion (was never in it, so don't miss it), grumpy, useless old git!  Yay, Johnster...

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I am all in favour of freedom of speech as long as it is used appropriately.  If it is causing harm (i.e. a certain elderly gentleman in Washington DC who loses his job on Wednesday) then that human right to freedom of speech must be properly policed for the greater good and withdrawn if necessary. 

Ouch, that is one hell of a can of worms there John...

Kind regards

Paddy

• Funny 1

I know a fair number of people who watch just for entertainment, Its a bit like buying (I couldn't bring myself to write 'reading' ) the Sun for its  journalism, but with the drawback that you can't wrap fish and chips in a youtube video once its done.

Jon

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I quite like Sams trains . But it’s like everything else . Watch it , if you want , no one needs to see it , you have to go looking.  Then make up your own mind .   I do like YouTube reviews as you get to see the loco running and can form your own opinions . 

Specifically on his worst locos for 2021 , incidentally it is balanced by best locos of 2021 , isn’t it the case that the Heljan 1361 has been criticised here . I seem to recall over tightened screws or something like that . There is a current thread on someone experiencing difficulties running this Loco on a shunting layout . So his observations are not without foundation I think .

No experience of the Bachmann N class. His video suggest there’s something wrong with the loco/tender drawbar causing it to derail . I’m surprised that hasn’t been reported elsewhere if it’s an issue . But he’s reported as he found . 

If the loco is a dud out of the box he reports on it . What’s wrong with that ? I would send the model back though and not waste money . 

Incidentally  for those who suggest he doesn’t know how to maintain locos , he does , or did, run a very effective repairs service . It maybe that his YouTube activities have overtaken that . However I can attest to his abilities restoring an old Triang and several Wrenn locos for me , and they all run very well.  So he does know his way around motors etc . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1