Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst Model Trains Of 2020?

5 minutes ago, Legend said:

No experience of the Bachmann N class. His video suggest there’s something wrong with the loco/tender drawbar causing it to derail . I’m surprised that hasn’t been reported elsewhere if it’s an issue . But he’s reported as he found . 

@Legend - That's a good question.

I agree his whole layout could be improved by getting it off the carpet. However, a search for reviews/comments of Bachmann N Class shows two different types. Those that comment favourably on how good it looks (without actually running it), and then reviews of it running.

e.g. #1 (here)

e.g. #2

N is for Naughty! Bachmann N class misbehaving

The tender has a habit of derailing.  The derailing problem is caused by tension in the drawbar that does not have a smooth action when correcting movement – the tension pushes the tender off the track on each corner.

https://locoyard.com/2012/04/04/n-is-for-naughty-Bachmann-n-class-misbehaving/

e.g. #3

Hello to all, I have this week received a Boxed set of Bachmanns N class one in Southern and one in SECR you probably all know the set. I knew that there is a problem with the connection between Loco and tender Assume they sacked the designer!!.... but did not know its as bad as it is as the tender keeps derailing, anyway, has anyone came up with a solution to over come the problem and how to fix it, thank you from Barry

https://newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=53797

Enough examples?

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Legend said:

No experience of the Bachmann N class. His video suggest there’s something wrong with the loco/tender drawbar causing it to derail . I’m surprised that hasn’t been reported elsewhere if it’s an issue . But he’s reported as he found . 

Way way back when this model was first introduced there were problems with derailing tenders, not present on later batches so far as I know, but maybe the problem has re-appeared.

EDIT: original problem and fix documented here:-

https://sremg.org.uk/model/ntender.html

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

i wouldn't let him anywhere near any of my stuff, even if he were an estalished repair genius, in case he test ran it on the carpetted floor...

I think you're being a bit unfair, old chap. Both you & I have enough nous to combat any problem that came our way. After all, we're the real DC Luddites.....

Make observations, and recommend what improvements can be bought about to improve our viewing. Non-constructive comments help no one. At least one moderator on this forum has said he will delete any posts such as 'none for me here'.   

If Sam continues to review models in a semi- arbitrary fashion, then just change channels. Ms. Kirk does her reviews on a regular basis.....

On a positive note, I'm awaiting to see your review on Cwmdimbaths new loco allocation. I'll probably get a 34xx after all. "One of us, one of us...."   

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Way way back when this model was first introduced there were problems with derailing tenders, not present on later batches so far as I know, but maybe the problem has re-appeared.

EDIT: original problem and fix documented here:-

https://sremg.org.uk/model/ntender.html

Thanks, I'll try that on my own Bachmann N class

Folks might prefer his "Best of 2020 Reviews"

5) Hornby Class 56

4) Rapido J70

3) Dapol Terrier O gauge

2) Bachmann Class 37

1) Dapol Sentinel O gauge

Pedant's Health warning! The track is still on a carpet.

Apart from that, I quite admire his youthful enthusiasm for his subject, his hands-on approach, and him encouraging other people.  Old age, bitterness and cynicism (like some inmates here) can come later. ;)

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

Is that the same Dapol Sentinel that didn't even have the buffer plank and buffers painted red....

They got it right on the Model Rail 00 version. But such a glaring error would lose two out of ten points automatically for me. Lose another point for the strange planked effect on the top of the water tank which is total fiction and a lack of etched plates (£205 model after all).

Without seeing one running I'll give it a five out of ten. With some of the deduction due to it's price.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/326483/dapol_7s_005_001d_class_y3_sentinel_4wvb_42_in_lner_black_dcc_fitted/stockdetail.aspx

See how easy it is to ridicule a decent model just by pointing out any errors and putting the focus on them rather than any good points? That's why many of these "reviews" are meaningless.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Folks might prefer his "Best of 2020 Reviews"

5) Hornby Class 56

4) Rapido J70

3) Dapol Terrier O gauge

2) Bachmann Class 37

1) Dapol Sentinel O gauge

Pedant's Health warning! The track is still on a carpet.

Apart from that, I quite admire his youthful enthusiasm for his subject, his hands-on approach, and him encouraging other people.  Old age, bitterness and cynicism (like some inmates here) can come later. ;)

My cynicism predated my dotage by many decades.  I find Sam not to my taste on several levels, an admirred that thos may be down to my own opinions and bigotries, but have not commented on his ability as a repairer of model locomotives.  As Ian TPH rightly says, it is the likes of us what are the Luddites, and I’m moderately adept at keeping my own stuff running, but this does not give me any right to criticise anyone who has to depend on professionalrepair or maintenance.  I have no idea of Sam’s skill or ability in that regard, which for all I know might be of a very high order, but I’m not letting anyone who runs stuff on a carpeted floor anywhere near any of my stuff, a policy I have maintained since I got my first Rovex Black Princess in 1956 when I was 4 that has stood me in good stead in the intervening 64 years...

Trains go on track, track goes on hard surface away from fluff.  Not rocket science. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators

Hmm. 3 pages of discussion here. 70k views. I'd say Sam has won already. 

Remember, that there are people in this discussion who have said in the past they prefer a YouTube review over a magazine one even if the former is little more than an unboxing with a soundtrack of high pitched squeals and the later well researched and balanced. Cynics might suggest free and rubbish trumps quality you have to pay for.

Ultimately, anyone who can expend apparently infinite time and money on this sort of thing will gain followers by rubbishing models, but as other YouTubers have found, you attract a very transitory audience that will evaporate if you don't keep delivering the goods. 

• Like 6

I often find his reviews more useful than the modelling magazines that review just about every product as positively as possible. 

At least this guy is honest about who is backing him and honest about his own prejudices. I suspect he is also attracting far more younger people to the hobby than the modelling magazines that seem to think all modellers are late middle aged steam buffs who have £10k per year disposable income to spend on trains. 

He might not be everyone's cup of tea but give the guy a break - he is doing no harm. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

Hi all,

In defence of Sam I find his videos quite pleasant when not taken to seriously. But as has been said he has his opinions and we have ours. But his videos do get quite a large volume of viewers and this is something the manufacturers need to keep an eye on. Bad press is bad press. Plus how wrong are his his videos some times. The toy cowboy engine, Well enough said with the TOY word. Mehano do sell some nice stuff but that set is aimed at 5 year olds and should never be played with let alone looked at. One thing about Sam is that as far as I can see he buys all his own stock. Yes he gets money from his channel and may get some sponsorship, But it not like the big boys who get samples sent to them. Therefore he probably feels he can say what he believes without any undue pressure from the manufacturers. And who are we to say that what he has said is not true. If people here can buy the engines he has complained about and come back with a constructive refute to his statements then I would like to see them. Besides his boyish excitement is very refreshing in a hobby that is mainly dominated in people above 40+. I spoke to him about how many carriages he had when he did his H/D pulling power tests. I thought I was doing well with about 60. He has bought over 200. That is dedication to a cause.

The real proof in the pudding will be in a few years time when and if these engines survive and get sold on the second hand market. If the are poorly put together, cheap or overly expensive it show in what they sell for. We shall see.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

@Legend - That's a good question.

I agree his whole layout could be improved by getting it off the carpet. However, a search for reviews/comments of Bachmann N Class shows two different types. Those that comment favourably on how good it looks (without actually running it), and then reviews of it running.

e.g. #1 (here)

e.g. #2

https://locoyard.com/2012/04/04/n-is-for-naughty-Bachmann-n-class-misbehaving/

e.g. #3

https://newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=53797

Enough examples?

Thanks Keith . I didn’t know that . Looks like Sam was calling out a known fault then . You would wonder given he was reviewing a 2019/ 2020 trainset  and that the N has been out for quite some time ,why that hadn’t been corrected . 

As to running stuff on the carpet we all know that’s a no no. And I really wish he’d put track on a board . That said he does service his locos regularly and doesn’t seem to suffer undue carpet fluff !  The other thing to say is that by definition he is running on less than perfect laid track , so in some ways it’s more typical and useful for me . My layout is on boards but has been in loft for 25 years and trackwork is less than perfect as the boards have sagged a bit , a bit like me , in fact! So  I’d actually like to know if a loco has a propensity to fall off track easily . A Sam review  of an IET would be quite useful as an example . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, fezza said:

often find his reviews more useful than the modelling magazines that review just about every product as positively as possible. 

This is a valid point.  The magazines are to varying levels in a symbiotic and co-dependent relationship with the companies producing the stuff, and are consequently understanbly reluctant to be overtly critical of new releases that they are sent for review; an independent reviewer is not under such pressure to be uncritical.  I would use the term 'uncritical' by the way, not 'positive as possible'. The RTR companies need the magazines to sell product at the level they requrie to make their projected profit, and the magazines need the companies to produce new product for them to review; the main reasons people buy magazines is for instructive 'how to' articles and the reviews.  It is inevitable that a degree of mutually beneficial cosiness builds up between all parties, and so long as this does not result in outright dishonest information being disseminated, no harm is done, but there's a good bit of wobble room well short of dishonesty or mendacity  in the language used; Caveat Emptor!

And if you think Model Railway magazines are bad, they are paragons of unbiased reporting comparted to car, camera, or hi-fi magazines,  You have to learn to decode the reviewspeak language, after which you will be able to draw your own conclusions; for instance a comment such as 'well worth considering for anyone looking for an xxxx at this price level' sounds positive but is really pretty meaningless, and can be read as a hint to consider xxxx as much as you like but whatever you do, don't buy it.  Magazines, independent of not, are part of the producers' marketing effort, and marketing people have a differnet understanding of language to the rest of us...

Things are not as bad as they were 20 or so years and more ago, as we are more internet literate and less dependent on magazine reviews, and those who understand the game can usually glean pretty accurate information from independent reviewers, even perhaps Sam whose only crime in my book is to run trains on his carpet and set my nerves on edge (seriously, I can't watch such model abuse without screaming at the screen), such as  Jenny Emily or SDJR88, whose show vids i rather enjoy as well, backed up by the experiences of new models on sites such as this.  I recently indulged myself in a new Hornby large prairie, which had reviewed well enough and which I'd read the input here about, but was putting off buying one until I'd had similar information about the Dapol large prairie, which uses the same mech and running gear as the recently released mogul.

I was therefore keen to read reviews and posted comment experiences of the Dapol mogul, which fairly and justifiably highlighted problem areas with the running and appearance, viz high gearing resulting in flaky low speed running, incorrect spacing of the slide bars, and a problem on some locos with derailing front ponys.  Thanks to a combination of reviews and comments here, I felt able to make an informed decision about deferring the purchase of the Hornby, with which I am completely satisfied except for the postiion of the cab doors.  I was aware of the situation when I bought the loco, so have no axe to grind about it and it's a carping criticism, but half open is the least likely possible postion for either door to be in; on a loco in service they are overwhelmingly predominantly open and latched back to the bunker bulkhead with a hook and eye, or shut,  They would be mostly shut when the loco is running in any situation other than shunting.

But I knew about it and was able to take it into account when I made my decision, thanks to those who had bought the loco and were prepared to voice their opinions, and the online reviews. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd suggest being a 'professional reviewer' requires an ability to tread carefully on thin ice. If you give product X a real caning, then the manufacturer of product X might get on the phone to the magazine owner, with a suggestion that perhaps a withdrawal of advertising revenue might be in order. 

Sam appears to be in a better position, inasmuch he appears to buy his own review subjects. That makes him a free agent; good for him.  My only gripe is the lack of standardised review criteria.  If, however, Sam receives remuneration or services   by way of trade for his reviews, then that's a whole different ball game....

Example :- " I went to supermarket X, and the baked beans were rubbish."  This paid advertisement is bought to you by supermarket Y".  You get the point....

12 hours ago, AY Mod said:

And miss out on whipping up your YouTube followers? It's like Electricnose for Generation Z.

Electricnose...

You really need a trigger warning before you invoke that website, Andy!

I'd managed to completely forget about it for probably 5 years.  Back to therapy for me...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

And miss out on whipping up your YouTube followers? It's like Electricnose for Generation Z.

To be fair, Electricnose was mostly interested in whipping up himself.  Those were the days when a soapbox was a real soapbox and the nutters would rant away at their audience even if it consisted of one deaf old man and a puzzled squirrel.  There was a gritty honesty to it that I miss, along with single page websites that used the text rendering properties of the browser to the full.

If we could arrange a live debate between Sam's Trains and Time Cube we'd see just how things have changed, and not for the better.

Well.

I watched the "worst" video all the way through (:crazy:) and then went through the comments.  Didn't look at the "best" video because I'd decided that the "worst" was enough for a lifetime, its the sort of thing that sinful railway modellers will have to view for eternity in Hell. That and unboxing videos...

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/01/2021 at 18:08, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Sadly it's a cry for attention... And very biased... Say he's only in it for money... And has no interest in this hobby. 

I'm mean he has to pay for subscriptions and viewers... Tells you everything. 

Waste of server space. 

Not Intrested in Sam's trains myself it's aimed at kids. I'm also not Intrested in his opinions in what's good or bad as he's views are biast  towards the company's who pay him sadly with him it's about subscriptions and views and money not about the models ( just my opinion). I think most modelers just take him with a pinch of salt 

9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

its the sort of thing that sinful railway modellers will have to view for eternity in Hell. That and unboxing videos...

Hell would be unboxing a DJM built O scale Big Boy in one of those soft foam box inserts used on the 02 and later Well Tanks, then discovering it was all wheel drive and trying to put it back into the foam inlays intact whilst all the time DJ is whispering that's the most definitive Big Boy ever in a rather sleazy voice.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

40 minutes ago, London Southwark said:

Not Intrested in Sam's trains myself it's aimed at kids. I'm also not Intrested in his opinions in what's good or bad as he's views are biast  towards the company's who pay him sadly with him it's about subscriptions and views and money not about the models ( just my opinion). I think most modelers just take him with a pinch of salt 

Unfortunately when you do work for a model shop it's shocking how many his name comes up... 

Trains stopped working well its pull of pet hair.. Oh this guy on you tube said its fine... Let me guess.... Yep Sam's trains..

I've serviced my train by watching you guessed it... Sam's trains... Oh dear... Usually caked in oil. 

Sadly these guys who are not children... They look at how many views or subscriptions he has and think oh he must be well regarded... Then follow his rather poor advice. 

As I say they have become so frequent now I've just started turning them away sending direct to Hornby as I feel he is a poor advocate for their products and business... Need to be more careful who they pick. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/01/2021 at 11:50, Paddy said:

Well Sam seems to appeal to a lot of people as he has the thick end of 100K subscribers and the video above got in excess of 70K views!  He is certainly an "influencer" within the hobby based on these numbers. 

I've never heard of this bloke before and, having watched five minutes of that video, he seems a bit of a prat. I wouldn't usually criticise an individual's modelling but I'd say he's fair game as he's putting himself in front of an audience and is attempting to be an "influencer". I think he's got a cheek to criticise anything when his layout consists of a badly ballasted scenic section that looks like something I would have built when I was 10 years old, and the rest of it is laid on the floor, on the carpet!

He has zero credibility, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, London Southwark said:

he's views are biast  towards the company's who pay him sadly with him it's about subscriptions and views and money not about the models ( just my opinion).

An opinion shared by me, but I have no problem with it being about subscriptions/views/money, as long as he is honest and upfront about it so that we are informed about how seriously to take his opinions,  He's fully entitled to earn money from subs and be paid by companies so long as he's acting within the law.  I'm pretty opinionated myself, but like to think that this is part of the heart I wear on my sleeve; I don't try to hide it or deny it.  If he has 'interests' such as being paid by those who sell the products he 'reviews' he should say so (I haven't undergone the degree of self torture involved in watching enough of his vids to state whether he has or not, but if he has, then fair play to the guy.  If not, he is fundmaentally mendacious IMHO on top of the irritant that I find him to be; this is only my personal view of course, other views are available...).

I am now going to retire from this particular thread as it has taken up enough of my time and effort; I have no real interest in Sam or his reviews as they are, as I have said, not to my particular taste.  I will only view the thread if someone quotes me.  He may seem a bit of a prat, but there is nowt illegal, immoral, or fattening in being a bit of a prat.  We are under no obligation to read his stuff or subscribe to his channel, and can vote with our feet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, London Southwark said:

I am sad to see that this thread has turned into lets slag some off because we do not agree with him. Several people here have made comments that show more of them selves than Sam.

As for the comment made here about company's that pay him. Just which companies are those. Do you know if so share. This is no worse than the big magazines giving free publicity by getting models and other items free from the manufacturers to review. Especially as like the N class the problem about derailing was not mentioned in any reviews I can find. Only becoming apparent when they were bought.

So ladies and gentlemen if you do not agree with him just say so. Do not leave facile and demeaning comments. I personally think this thread should be shut down now by the moderators. I am very disappointed by some of the people here and their comments.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if you will watch the video when your favourite pet subject gets aired? 

Go on, you know you want to...

Ah, Gawan, gawan, gawan gawan, gawan.....

Looks like an important week in Johnster Towers.... There is absolutely no basis in the rumour that a certain reviewer has new carpet delivered to the loft......

• Funny 4