Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst Model Trains Of 2020?

Just now, pete_mcfarlane said:

I'm confused. How is the Bachmann N class a worst model of 2020? I remember buying one about 20 years ago.

I too was confused (at first). It took me a while to realise it's when he reviewed them, not when they were released.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I think it is when there's any imagery that's not part of it; it's not like he's actually burnt any of his models. ;)

Anyway; for a little purification of the soul have a look at Luke Towan's work - I thought someone had gone and nicked The Iron Bridge during Lockdown* - 

* This would have been a cause for major concern if one was not able to wander over the bridge from the car park to visit Eley's Pies (best pork pies in the kingdom).

No flames, no sensationalism - just good modelling.

Nice modeling but I question the pies (until tasted that is !!!).

As to "you tubers" - well, they range from superb to ridiculous in all subjects. Personal taste.

Brit15

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

I question the pies

That's our YouTube product review channel sorted - 'Pie charts' or 'I ate all the pies'?

Don't fancy the 'Worst Pies' year end finale but it could be a Pukka curry vs Wright's meat and potato head to head.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ruston said:

I think he's got a cheek to criticise anything when his layout consists of a badly ballasted scenic section that looks like something I would have built when I was 10 years old, and the rest of it is laid on the floor, on the carpet!

That serves a purpose in my book - the fact it goes against all best practice when building a model railway means that it really does test the ability of locos to tolerate bad track. When you remember that a fair chunk of modders start out in childhood and many parents do not have experience / knowledge of railway modelling then it seems very logical to expect less than ideal track.

As for the rest, yes Sam displays a lot of ignorance about the real prototype of the model he is reviewing - and does have a tendency to expect smaller locos to handle un-prototypical train lengths despite his own railway being a 'worst case' scenario track wise. On the plus side he displays a childlike enthusiasm about the subject of the video while at the same time not appearing to take himself too seriously which generally makes him quite watchable.

He admittedly has his own 'hobby horses' when it comes to reviews (e.g. liking certain types of motors, flyweels and metal parts*) - yet many times on here people are only too willing to lecture others about the evils or coreless motors or missing detail - so why is it so objectionable when someone else does it? The term "pot calling kettle black" is very relevant to many of those who find Sam objectionable I fear.

* It should be noted that there is a general presumption that plastic = cheap! You have a look at in depth car reviews and note how 'acres of plastic' or 'cheap plastic details' are regularly criticised for looking 'tacky'

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

It's not clickbait because that's not what clickbait is. Clickbait is a link given a tantalising or misleading description in order to make you click on it. So here's an example.

clickbait43.png.ef293187f523816570daf6c1fe70b23f.png

This is clickbait. It's designed to make you curious. The website it is sending you to is nothing to do with the photo or its description. It is bait to deceive you into clicking on a website you would otherwise not visit.

The Sam's Trains link is not clickbait. If that link took you to something that wasn't a video of Sam unboxing a Somerset and Dorset Railway train set, then yes, it would be clickbait. If the thumbnail implied that the video was something more exciting than an unboxing video for this Somerset and Dorset Railway train set, that would also be clickbait.

And again, even if it was clickbait, its appearance in your feed is nothing to do with that. Sam does not decide which videos show up in your feed. YouTube decides what to show you based on what you've searched for recently, what you've searched for in the past and what other people who have searched for the same things have watched. If anything, it's the opposite of clickbait, because it's trying to show you a video it thinks you would enjoy. It has no way of knowing that you don't want to see that, unless you specifically tell it by marking the video as something you're not interested in.

YouTube is actually weighted against clickbait, because it not only monitors what videos you watch, but how long you watched them for. So if a video is misleadingly titled, lots of people click on it and immediately stop watching, YouTube learns that that's not a video it should be recommending to those people.

As to why you now have the top 10 worst trains video, it's because it knows you came here, where that video is linked. It knows you didn't watch that video, but you are clearly interested in the subject matter. And it knows you linked another Sam's Trains video here.

But this has been happening for ages. It's not something has has happened since I viewed this thread. I didn't even click on the link anyway.

They're there on every single railway video, lurking at the side. Why his videos and nobody else's videos?

I know exactly what clickbait is. If it smells and acts like clickbait, then it's clickbait.

It's there for you to click on. It's paid for videos that bear no resemblence to anything that I watch. I can't stand most model railway videos. I purposely avoid them.

It's paid for advertising. If you can't see that then you are just as deluded as most of his followers who seem like a cult and treat him like a guru.

Besides I delete my cookies daily and never log in to my YouTube account as I use that for music videos. Many of which are explicit so don't get shown on the normal YouTube.

Jason

50 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But this has been happening for ages. It's not something has has happened since I viewed this thread. I didn't even click on the link anyway.

They're there on every single railway video, lurking at the side. Why his videos and nobody else's videos?

I know exactly what clickbait is. If it smells and acts like clickbait, then it's clickbait.

It's there for you to click on. It's paid for videos that bear no resemblence to anything that I watch. I can't stand most model railway videos. I purposely avoid them.

It's paid for advertising. If you can't see that then you are just as deluded as most of his followers who seem like a cult and treat him like a guru.

Besides I delete my cookies daily and never log in to my YouTube account as I use that for music videos. Many of which are explicit so don't get shown on the normal YouTube.

Jason

I don’t really know what to say to you. I have a YouTube channel, I am very familiar with how YouTube works and everything I have said can be confirmed on a quick search. I really can’t do any more.

If this is that important to you, then fine, yes, despite my extensive criticism of Sam in this very thread, despite the fact that it is not in my professional interest to do so, I worship him and treat him like a guru. Your definition of clickbait is the correct one. Your understanding of how YouTube works is immeasurably superior to mine. You’ve got me bang to rights. It’s a fair cop guv. You win.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

That serves a purpose in my book - the fact it goes against all best practice when building a model railway means that it really does test the ability of locos to tolerate bad track. When you remember that a fair chunk of modders start out in childhood and many parents do not have experience / knowledge of railway modelling then it seems very logical to expect less than ideal track.

Do you honestly think that much thought has been put into it? None of the little I've seen is exactly what I'd call scientific in the testing and I'd say it's more likely that he's simply not a very skilled modeller.

It's tripe. Chewing gum for the eyes.

But, good luck to the bloke. If he can make some coin from from it, and there are people daft enough to watch it, then why not?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Do you honestly think that much thought has been put into it?

Nope....

....But Its Sam's railway, not mine or yours and if it pleases him then so be it. Ultimately a model railway is there for the enjoyment of its owner - not to win plaudits from armchair critics.

Ever heard of the phrase "by accident rather than by design"......

It just so happens that because Sam has decided not to follow good practice and put it up on proper baseboards etc his railway is a very useful test in terms of throwing the very worst at RTR locos and seeing how they cope. Moreover if a loco is struggling haulage wise on his setup say then modellers with inclines can use that fact to deduce that said loco might not be a good option for them say or that certain load limits will apply should they chose to purchase the model. In other words they should exercise more caution than they might otherwise do - 'to be forewarned is to be forearmed' as they say.

So while it might well be chewing gum for the eyes (but that is what pretty much all Visual, including TV and movies* are), as to it being 'tripe' - even though it does have significant flaws content wise, Sam himself comes across as a nice chap and is elemently watchable flaws and all.

* I can go weeks if not months without watching TV - if its entertainment I need then either listening or reading it usually works fine for me.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Nope....

....But Its Sam's railway, not mine or yours and if it pleases him then so be it. Ultimately a model railway is there for the enjoyment of its owner - not to win plaudits from armchair critics.

A fair statement but not one that applies to someone who puts themselves and their opinions all over Youtube.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Ruston said:

A fair statement but not one that applies to someone who puts themselves and their opinions all over Youtube.

Oh indeed - but he is not seeking opinions on his railway is he?

The things he posts are reviews of individual model products (which only involve his railway in so far as its something upon which to run them). I would be the first to agree that a lot of what he says is questionable (though I note some things such as coreless motors remain a subject that continues to divide this forum) - but nobody is forcing you to believe what he says are they?

What I am certain of however is he doesn't deserve the personal attacks he is getting on here. The content might not appeal, but he comes over as a pleasant enough person and should be treated as such - not be subject to characteristic assassination simply because you don't like his content.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

he doesn't deserve the personal attacks

I will back that. My issues are with the style, format and intent but the personal angle probably arises because of the eponymous channel title.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I'm confused. How is the Bachmann N class a worst model of 2020? I remember buying one about 20 years ago. 

I've got one as well and very nice it is as too. Olive green, solid chassis.

Nice and heavy and runs well. I have DCC 'd it with a decoder between the motor body and the backhead.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

What I am certain of however is he doesn't deserve the personal attacks he is getting on here. The content might not appeal, but he comes over as a pleasant enough person and should be treated as such - not be subject to characteristic assassination simply because you don't like his content.

This, 100%. Nobody is above criticism, but there’s a big difference between legitimate criticism and the kind of abuse being doled out on this thread. If that kind of attack were being made against a retailer or manufacturer, this thread would have been locked by now. It’s a really bad look, especially given that RMweb is itself affiliated with a YouTube channel.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

At the time it was released Hornby were still churning out their 1980s era tender driven schools and BOB / WC pacifics as the sole representation of Southern Railway main line traction. When judged against those the Bachmann N class was an outstanding improvement in virtually every way - even the misjudged attempt at a close coupling between loco and tender was, in concept, revolutionary.

Over the years I have amassed quite a number of them and fortunately they don't give me any trouble.

Of course since then the RTR landscape has changed significantly and not surprisingly current releases are much better then the N class.

Sam did make reference to the fact that its an old model and I get the impression that had Bachmann redesigned the tender - loco drawbar plus offered it at a lower price consummate with its level of detailing / mechanical finesse then Sam would have been far happier with it. He does say that high pricers are not a problem if the detail / mechanicals is up to scratch and with the N class that is quite clearly not true.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

Oh indeed - but he is not seeking opinions on his railway is he?

The things he posts are reviews of individual model products (which only involve his railway in so far as its something upon which to run them). I would be the first to agree that a lot of what he says is questionable (though I note some things such as coreless motors remain a subject that continues to divide this forum) - but nobody is forcing you to believe what he says are they?

He isn't seeking opinions on his railway. In fact he isn't seeking opinions at all - he's giving his opinion and because his layout consists of a bit of scenery and a lot of bare track on a carpet is one reason why I can't take him seriously. Another is that in the video he gives the models silly names. He probably is a pleasant person and all I said was that he seems a bit of a prat. I think it's rather dramatic to call it character assassination.

I have no idea what he says about coreless motors and care even less. If it was something that I wanted to know about he's the last person I would be looking to for advice. This is my point really - these people set themselves up with these pointless Youtube channels and just because they have X amount of viewers it doesn't mean they actually know their arse from their elbow.

It's not just this one chap. This entire phenomenon of unboxing videos, and reviews, from people who have virtually no prototype knowledge, and very little in the way of modelling skill, has me baffled. If I really want to know something about a model that I intend to purchase then I will spend a few quid and buy a magazine, where I can learn something from someone who at least has some knowledge and some idea of what they are talking about, rather than someone who has proved nothing other than the fact that he or she can use a credit card and a video camera.

Never has the term dumbing down been more apt.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, SD85 said:

TBH it could have been the algorithms picking up that you'd looked at a thread on here discussing the Sam's Trains video and decided to suggest in in your Youtube feed. They work on a pretty wide basis; just because you read up on something on a forum elsewhere probably isn't a barrier to Youtube suggesting it.

My wife and I are convinced Google, Facebook etc. are listening to us.  We can be having a conversation about something boring like pillows and then she gets a link on her feed for pillow retailers!

:scratchhead: :D

Kind regards

Paddy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ruston said:

It's not just this one chap. This entire phenomenon of unboxing videos, and reviews, from people who have virtually no prototype knowledge, and very little in the way of modelling skill, has me baffled. If I really want to know something about a model that I intend to purchase then I will spend a few quid and buy a magazine, where I can learn something from someone who at least has some knowledge and some idea of what they are talking about, rather than someone who has proved nothing other than the fact that he or she can use a credit card and a video camera.

Never has the term dumbing down been more apt.

Though I agree with you, society at large does not! The way Newspapers / paper magazines and people sitting down to watch TV programmes as transmitted (rather than on catch up services or via binge watching box sets) has been declining year on year while those obtaining their facts through the unregulated social media has sky rocketed demonstrates the way things care going.

Sites like Sam's trains would not exist were it not for the internet and social media - plus the business model that says we will give you content 'for free' but need lots of people to view the adverts it comes bundled with to make a profit for the site owners. They are the future.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Ruston said:

This entire phenomenon of unboxing videos

Now the logic of that particular phenomenon really does escape me. Yes showing off the new product to the camera I can understand - but what is so interesting in the act of taking it out of the box I cannot. Far more useful to show it running preferably in a variety of situations plus seeing whats under the hood mechanically speaking

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I too was confused (at first). It took me a while to realise it's when he reviewed them, not when they were released.

And I think it was part of a set released relatively recently

4 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Sites like Sam's trains would not exist were it not for the internet and social media - plus the business model that says we will give you content 'for free' but need lots of people to view the adverts it comes bundled with to make a profit for the site owners. They are the future.

.....until a few people realise that the Emperer is naked, and say so - loudly !!! (As is happening here - now).

We live in a world where the majority accept what they are told as fact - viz D. Trump Esq. If such a dolt can be elected to high office it speaks volumes for the gullibility of the US electorate. However, these trends inevitably go too far - eg. the storming of the Capitol. Then the scales fall from (most) eyes, and the whole charade is revealed.

The same will happen to this whole 'influencer' thing - it's a house of cards, teetering on the verge of collapse; as is much of the advertising industry. It may take decades - or even centuries - but there will eventually come the realisation among those paying for the ads that they get very little for their vast sums of advertising investment.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

As  a Youtube "expert" the horrible thought occurs that he could turn up on TV on Celebrity what ever; probably  The Wheel where no doubt he would be the one "expert "the finalist could double their money with.

Why is that horrible? Because his YT content is so woeful that you wouldn’t want him to appear as a celebrity? I’d say it’d be a good thing for the hobby if he were! Or is it he’s so awful he’d ‘spoil’ a program, that’s in the cess pool of entertainment, by appearing?

I had no idea he was so despised. His videos come up as recommendations for my 3 year old (generally TTTE ones), I’ve never watched a product review of his (or anyone on YouTube), they’re alright, I’ve seen worse. I’m astounded how much vitriol can be directed toward the chap!

Edited by njee20
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Why is that horrible? Because his YT content is so woeful, but you wouldn’t want him to appear as a celebrity? I’d say it’d be a good thing for the hobby if he were! Or is it he’s so awful he’s ‘spoil’ a program that’s in the cess pool of entertainment by appearing?

I had no idea he was so despised. His videos come up as recommendations for my 3 year old (generally TTTE ones), I’ve never watched a product review of his (or anyone on YouTube), they’re alright, I’ve seen worse. I’m astounded how much vitriol can be directed toward the chap!

But didn’t you hear? He runs his locomotives on the carpet! The carpet, I tell you! And he tries to attract viewers to his channel! He’s history’s greatest monster!

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

Not to be controversial ;) but you do all know that within thirty years most modellers will be building virtual model-railways and collaborating with each other online to create whole networks covering hundreds of miles with multiple role-player options where individuals can be driver, fireman, signalman, stationmaster, shed-foreman, guard, or whatever, and the lumps of plastic and brass we care so much about will be as quaint to them as our grandmother's treadle sewing machines and antimacassars were to us.

I love the online world. It's liberating to have information, communication, and collaboration at my fingertips. My only regret is that at 59 I will only see the beginning of it and am already too old to make the most of what's here because my mind developed in the analogue world.   

• Like 1