Brunel Charlbury station drawings/ Brunel broad gauge goods shed

Jason Pape

I’m searching for plans of Charlbury station on the Oxford to Paddington line of the GWR as its a gorgeous Italianate station and a plan for a typical broad gauge goods shed too. I’m just starting out in making my first layout so any help will be appreciated. 

• RMweb Premium

Are you confusing Culham which is a brick Brunel Italianate structure between Didcot and Oxford, with Charlbury which is a simpler, but still magnificent, timber structure on the Oxford to Worcester line?

Paul Karau's book on the Henley Branch (Wild Swan) has drawings of the original station buildings and goods shed at Twyford which were similar in style to Culham and might be useable.

7 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Are you confusing Culham which is a brick Brunel Italianate structure between Didcot and Oxford, with Charlbury which is a simpler, but still magnificent, timber structure on the Oxford to Worcester line?

Paul Karau's book on the Henley Branch (Wild Swan) has drawings of the original station buildings and goods shed at Twyford which were similar in style to Culham and might be useable.

They are both Brunel stations but the OP is right Charlbury is the Italianate design. Culham is not. The Culham design is English, Elizabethan. Charlbury is unusual in being the Italianate design but in wood rather than brick or stone. Both buildings are unique survivors of their kind but there are Italianate survivors in brick - Mortimer and, I believe Chard, though Chard no longer in railway use. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
The spelling Gestapo insisted on changing Culham to Fulham!

Charlbury in 2017. For reasons of economy John Fowler used timber to build the Brunel stations on the OW&W. Charlbury is now the only survivor. The GWR rebuilt Kingham, Shipton for Burford, Pershore and Moreton-in-Marsh to cope with increased traffic. Original OW&W buildings at Chipping Campden were extensively covered in Model Railway News in the early 1960s and I have since covered them in both Model Railway Constructor and Model Rail although I don't have the issue dates. My drawing of the timber goods shed appears on page 79 of GWR Country Stations reproduced to 2mm:1ft scale. There are usually secondhand copies available on Ebay. (CJL)

Charlbury 2017.JPG

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 17:40, 2251 said:

Evesham was also rebuilt. This is what the original station looked like:

image.png.25c4e4c9f932fb5264d4747c02c32143.png

Moreton was not of the same pattern as Charlbury. It looked like this:

image.png.f722fd39dc8df2fd9c48fd1a5cf08126.png

Most of the OW&WR stations looked like that before they were rebuilt by the GWR. Some were also modified by the GWR to provide toilets either within the building (ladies) or in a separate brick-built 'shed' (gents). The wooden building that served the up platform and the Shipston branch at Moreton was still there in the 1960s but shorn of its canopies like all the OW&W small timber buildings. It has since been replaced (twice, I think) by modern shelters and when I was last there an engineer was discussing with a railwayman the next replacement! (CJL) 

• 2 years later...

Jason, how is the model going? I started a OO finescale model (with scratch built 'points') over 20 years ago and it has been paused, mainly because I started working on the real railway (a second time - BR in the 1980s, Network Rail in the 2000s after a year full time on the SVR), so got my 'fix'! I have a kit of the station building but no goods shed, and was going to use the Ratio signalbox. I also live in Charlbury . . .  

John