4EPB unpowered and power bogies

Hi everyone, I'm making myself a BR 4-EPB (set around 1962) from mainly from replica bodies, and im not sure on a what bogies to use, Im currently thinking about replica B4 bogies for the unpowered bogies, they look the best match to me but im not sure on this 

For the power bogie Im thinking of a tenshodo motor bogie with Dart Castings B4 sideframes & the unpowered one out of a replica bogie with the same components, anyone have any better ideas for motive power as I cant find a BIL motor bogie anywhere?

Thanks in advance, Adam

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, crompton 33 said:

Don't know why Lendon's describe it as "2 Bill" instead of 2-BIL, but the bogie part number is  X6575 .  Also don't know how they sell it for £9.80 when everyone else is saying around £30. Just a bit miffed as I bought one from Peter's Spares for £28 (a good price I thought) and only later discovered the Lendon's price.....

3 hours ago, IncorrectlySpelt said:

Hi everyone, I'm making myself a BR 4-EPB (set around 1962) from mainly from replica bodies, and im not sure on a what bogies to use, Im currently thinking about replica B4 bogies for the unpowered bogies, they look the best match to me but im not sure on this 

For the power bogie Im thinking of a tenshodo motor bogie with Dart Castings B4 sideframes & the unpowered one out of a replica bogie with the same components, anyone have any better ideas for motive power as I cant find a BIL motor bogie anywhere?

Thanks in advance, Adam

Hi,

I think some 4-EPBs were upgraded for 90mph running but not until well after 1962.

So for 1962 an older BR(SR) bogie would have probably been used.

An alternative to the Hornby 2-BIL motor bogie is the Replica Railways motorised chassis types - there might be one that suits the 4-EPB. However the 2-BIL bogie probably has a 5 pole skew wound motor whereas the last time I looked the Replica Chassis standard  was a pair of 3 pole straight wound motors although they may have 5 pole motors as an option if you phone them.

I've done speed tests with the Tensdodo motor bogie and it starts to run out of 'steam' with more than 2 coaches.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK

4 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

B4 bogies would be wrong for the EPB (there was some that were removed for use with express stock, but these were iirc 2EPB and fitted with commonwealth bogies. For the EPB use the BR1 bogie bolster, if needed the springs can be modified.

Thanks for filling me in about the bogies, I'll get them from replica with the bodies cheesysmith

1 hour ago, crompton 33 said:

They only have a preorder available at 10% of the price so I've put a pound down to reserve one 

Nick, thanks for the information about the tenshodo motor bogies, I think they're best avoided then and the replica chassis is bit out of my price range unfortunately. It does look rather useful, an all in 1 solution and with a DCC socket for when I do upgrade to DCC 

Thanks for the help everyone 

Definitely NOT B4 bogies.

The 2Bil Hornby motor bogie with a much thinned down shoebeam will do as I think the 4EPBs had 8' 9" Mk3 motor bogies. Trailer bogies would have been 8' 6"  BR bogies similar to a B1 but with differing centre bolster springing. I think MJT still do a cast MB sideframe. Better still would be bogies from a Bachmann 2Epb. Trailer bogies often available from that parts supplier in Kent. Can't remember their name just now.

Here's a motor bogie picture.

Dave.

2017-07-25-0001small.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NIK said:

Hi,

I think some 4-EPBs were upgraded for 90mph running but not until well after 1962.

So for 1962 an older BR(SR) bogie would have probably been used.

I think the only change was to the gearing anyway, so the bogies would still look the same.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Definitely NOT B4 bogies.

The 2Bil Hornby motor bogie with a much thinned down shoebeam will do as I think the 4EPBs had 8' 9" Mk3 motor bogies. Trailer bogies would have been 8' 6"  BR bogies similar to a B1 but with differing centre bolster springing. I think MJT still do a cast MB sideframe. Better still would be bogies from a Bachmann 2Epb. Trailer bogies often available from that parts supplier in Kent. Can't remember their name just now.

Here's a motor bogie picture.

Dave.

2017-07-25-0001small.jpg

Many Bachmann 2EPB parts can be obtained direct from Bachmann themselves.

10 hours ago, Titan said:

I think the only change was to the gearing anyway, so the bogies would still look the same.

Hi,

I was thinking of the units converted for Eastbourne services which I read on this forum received B5 bogies as well as express gearing. However I'm not sure if these are mentioned on the Blood and Custard website.

Regards

Nick