New range of simple to assemble 00/EM gauge pointwork kits - EM B7 Prototype - First Look

NFWEM57

Thanks for your kind words and posting the images, Patrick!

Glad you enjoyed the build. Looking forward to some video's of stock running through it :)

Wow, I didn't realise I had been nominated for the 'Innovation of the year for the BRM Awards', sweet! Don't forget to vote, everyone..LOL :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Video of Locomotives running through Wayne's 2nd EM B7 prototype.  A few points:

All locos are DCC but no stay alive.  The pickups on the class 45 and 47 are very limited given their age. Class 35 has pickups all round. Wheels are Alan Gibson (Hymek) or Ultrascale  (Class 45 and Class 47).  The turnout is neither glued or screwed, Wayne does not like me drilling holes in his prototypes and I do not wish to glue to my test track; surrounding track is secured.

No steam loco available, pick up issues on the 4MT following further refinement.  I'll get there..!

Enjoy.

Edited by NFWEM57
added pick ups
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

Patrick that looks great nice to see a few different locos in use have you put rolling stock through as well. Yet again a big hats off to you and Wayne.

Keith

Thank you, but this is all Wayne's hard work, I am just Santa's little helper..!  I will get the steam loco working and then see what I can find in converted rolling stock.

Patrick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

After a battle with pickup on both the 2 split chassis steam locos I am converting, they run sweetly with power to the chassis  but not via the wheels, I decided to use a more modern Bachman Class 47 and use a rake of 5 EM gauge Mainline coaches to get something on line.  Steam not off the cards, just slightly delayed...!

Class 47 has Alan Gibson wheels and the 5 (test) coaches have Peters Spares 14.1 mm coach wheels (RP25-110).  There is a very slight curve in the track prior to the main heal of the turnout.

Enjoy the video, sorry about the background sound.  I think the coaches run through Wayne's product very well.  Hats off to Wayne. :clapping:

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
added additional info
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Finally, Steam....!!!

I have put the split chassis locos to one side for now and quickly converted a Bachmann BR 5MT to EM; model 32-500, DCC ready and circa 2001 vintage.   The conversion is partial, AG wheels on tender and pony truck, existing driving wheels re-gauged to EM.

The original driving wheels are quite thick, 2.9mm, and mounted on a shoulder axles (3mm to 2mm).   A total of 1.75mm of washers have been added to each driving axle and the B2B has been set to achieve 22mm face to face.  it is not ideal but passable, there is speed wobble..!  As ever, brake blocks foul so were trimmed with replacements to be fitted later.  B2B on tender and pony wheels is 16.5mm with 27mm shoulder axles in tender re-used.

Alan Gibson driving wheels will be fitted later with the original motion gear and cranks pins as there are several indentations to fix the speedo and return cranks in place; the alternative is rather more fiddly.  Intend to tap the AG driving wheels to M1.4 to take the Bachmann crankpins.

So, having finally ticked the steam box, I think my job is now done.   Over to Wayne and mass production.  Thanks to all for feed back on my attempts at conversion.

Enjoy the video...! 

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, SteveCornford said:

Hi Patrick, any chance of showing us these engines running in the opposite direction, eg Facing rather than trailing?

Of course, I will make make another video at the weekend, tad busy with the day job at present.  Pretty soon you will be able to try one yourself looking at Wayne's progress...!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, SteveCornford said:

Hi Patrick, any chance of showing us these engines running in the opposite direction, eg Facing rather than trailing?

Well, they are running facing into the crossover. It would be good to see something negotiate the crossover to the other track for interest, but it all looks very impressive.

I'm sure this will trigger a lot of interest in 'finer' track, whether 00-SF EM or P4; you've done a good deal of the legwork. :good_mini:

Edited by Ramblin Rich
stupid phone keyboard
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Guys,

Currently finishing off the instructions. It will be double sided A4 size, but with 3 creases folded into 4 columns each side (like a takeaway menu or leaflet). They are being professionally printed on glossy paper and pre creased for me.

Here is one side of the instructions so far, and the wiring diagram:

instruc02.jpg.5c558234aa6f60ceec18cf18acea9d1c.jpginstruc01.jpg.3418a16f2361f3a9d0c9a7d08fd721bd.jpg

I'm getting there, the second side is already written. Need to add a few more tags on the wiring diagram. Hoping to send this to print by tomorrow, along with the bag topper.

For the sake of completeness and lack of ambiguity I wonder if it might be worth adding wiring tags/links notes for the rails past the crossing/frog? Most will know & understand what will be needed, the options, but some might not realise before laying the point.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

We'll, they are running facing into the crossover. It would be good to see something negotiate the crossover to the other track for interest, but it all looks very impressive.

I'm sure this will trigger a lot of interest in 'finer' track, whether 00-SF EM or P4; you've done a good deal of the legwork. :good_mini:

Hi,

The purpose of the video was to (finally) show a steam engine running through Wayne's great new product which is the overall purpose of this thread.  The loco is only my third attempt at EM conversion of a steam loco and I did pick two absolute mares with the two split chassis locos for my first two attempts.  Keen to show a steam loco running through Wayne's prototype point, as I had long promised, I put aside the troublesome split chassis Mogul and 4MT and very quickly converted a Bachman 5MT I had acquired some time ago and for which I had already obtained a replacement finescale wheelset.  In order to get something on show for Wayne I changed the pony and tender wheels and re-gauged the driving wheels; they will be changed for the finescale wheels shortly whilst retaining the original Bachmann motion gear.   The crossover to the other track consisted of  2 EMGS left hand B6's made by PECO so not really of anything other than additional, but off topic, interest to this thread.

So, in summary, I will make another video of the steam loco passing through Wayne's prototype facing forward as previously requesed but perhaps I should include the more wide ranging video requested in a separate thread? Over to the moderator.  Perhaps there is interest in how I managed to adapt the the original, quite chunky, wheel set to EM.  However, it is by no means perfect and was only a stopgap to get something, long promised, uploaded for Wayne.  The finescale drivers will be going on the 5MT shortly but I am likely to have the Mogul and 4MT, with new pick up arrangements, running properly around the same time.  Again, there might be interest in the new pickup arrangement on a split chassis loco but than might be one for a new thread as well...!

Sorry to be a pain but trying to stick within the topic of this thread, namely British Finescale EM gauge turnouts about to be manufactured by Wayne.  Would welcome thoughts on the above and where to place requested videos.

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Patrick, I didn't realise those were Peco points on the crossover! Thanks still due to you for showing the completed prototype and persevering through the teething problems to show the possibilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Sorry Patrick, I didn't realise those were Peco points on the crossover! Thanks still due to you for showing the completed prototype and persevering through the teething problems to show the possibilities.

Thank you, much appreciated.  Have quite a lot of locomotives to convert 50:50 diesel and steam with diesels now all but complete.   On the crossover, yes, they are the B6 points manufactured by PECO for the EMGS. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NFWEM57 said:

Hi,

The purpose of the video was to (finally) show a steam engine running through Wayne's great new product which is the overall purpose of this thread.  The loco is only my third attempt at EM conversion of a steam loco and I did pick two absolute mares with the two split chassis locos for my first two attempts.  Keen to show a steam loco running through Wayne's prototype point, as I had long promised, I put aside the troublesome split chassis Mogul and 4MT and very quickly converted a Bachman 5MT I had acquired some time ago and for which I had already obtained a replacement finescale wheelset.  In order to get something on show for Wayne I changed the pony and tender wheels and re-gauged the driving wheels; they will be changed for the finescale wheels shortly whilst retaining the original Bachmann motion gear.   The crossover to the other track consisted of  2 EMGS left hand B6's made by PECO so not really of anything other than additional, but off topic, interest to this thread.

So, in summary, I will make another video of the steam loco passing through Wayne's prototype facing forward as previously requesed but perhaps I should include the more wide ranging video requested in a separate thread? Over to the moderator.  Perhaps there is interest in how I managed to adapt the the original, quite chunky, wheel set to EM.  However, it is by no means perfect and was only a stopgap to get something, long promised, uploaded for Wayne.  The finescale drivers will be going on the 5MT shortly but I am likely to have the Mogul and 4MT, with new pick up arrangements, running properly around the same time.  Again, there might be interest in the new pickup arrangement on a split chassis loco but than might be one for a new thread as well...!

Sorry to be a pain but trying to stick within the topic of this thread, namely British Finescale EM gauge turnouts about to be manufactured by Wayne.  Would welcome thoughts on the above and where to place requested videos.

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Hi Patrick 

firstly well done on the turnout it still looks great but we also have to thank Wayne for that as well. Maybe you could start a new thread in the converting RTR showing the videos and showing how you are converting locos stock etc. No matter what keep up the good work looking forward to any updates that may occur soon.

Keith 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2021 at 08:00, KeithHC said:

Hi Patrick 

firstly well done on the turnout it still looks great but we also have to thank Wayne for that as well. Maybe you could start a new thread in the converting RTR showing the videos and showing how you are converting locos stock etc. No matter what keep up the good work looking forward to any updates that may occur soon.

Keith 

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your support.

I think I was trying to thank Wayne in my message, as well as apologise for the delay in running steam, but perhaps my message was not clear to all.  So, more explicitly, a big thank you to Wayne, well done, you really have created a 'game changer'.  I include details about the loco conversion so that those with far more experience than I are aware of what is passing over the the subject of interest - Wayne's product - and can better form an opinion on the said product.  After all, we have had a few issues with my steam conversions in the past..!

Yes,  once I get the last topic specific video uploaded I will start a new thread on RTR conversions. 

On the separate thread, I'll start with the 3 steam locomotives in progress now and also a bit on Triang/Hornby R758 Hymek conversions to DCC including one to EM.   If you are interested, on DCC conversions, I have already added to a thread this morning  concerning the implementation of cab lighting and switchable rear running lights, both direction sensitive, using a very small electronic circuit and utilising F1 and F2 to control in addition to F0.  Cost of parts, well under a £1..!  No relays, switches or arrays of diodes just one 8 pin integrated circuit and 4 resistors.  F1 switches rear running lights on or off for the appropriate direction , F2 switches appropriate cab light on accordioning to direction.  F0 switches front running lights and head code on/off as well as cab/rear lights.

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Demo of steam loco passing through British Finescale EM gauge turnout in the facing direction.  As requested.

Requested video of BR 5MT steam locomotive approaching British Finescale EM Prototype turnout in the facing direction.  Wheels as before, Alan Gibson tender and pony, original driving wheels. Driving wheels will be replaced with Alan Gibson shortly. Last video demonstrating British Finescale EM gauge turnouts. production has started and the points will be available soon. Check the website for news. I have no affiliation to the product owner, I am merely undertaking independent testing on my test track.  Scale speed in last few seconds of video is 70 mph. The test track is 1/3 of a mile per loop; 23ft of track.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2021 at 12:00, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Guys,

Currently finishing off the instructions. It will be double sided A4 size, but with 3 creases folded into 4 columns each side (like a takeaway menu or leaflet). They are being professionally printed on glossy paper and pre creased for me.

Here is one side of the instructions so far, and the wiring diagram:

instruc02.jpg.5c558234aa6f60ceec18cf18acea9d1c.jpginstruc01.jpg.3418a16f2361f3a9d0c9a7d08fd721bd.jpg

I'm getting there, the second side is already written. Need to add a few more tags on the wiring diagram. Hoping to send this to print by tomorrow, along with the bag topper.

In case nobody else mentions it last of the bullet points ... to attach additional (add the last l to the word). I am a graphic designer so unfortunately still notice 'typos' whenever I read anything. Otherwise your instructions are looking excellent.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2021 at 10:35, SteveCornford said:

Hi, just for info, final video uploaded showing the engine running in the opposite direction. 

Patrick  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Guys,

Just waiting for the instructions to come back from the printers, should be next week. I can then work on bagging up some stock ready for releasing the kits.

To prevent myself being overwhelmed by initial orders (I should be so lucky! :)), I will be releasing the B7 EM Gauge kit first, followed by Standard 00 and finally 00-SF. Sort of a rolling soft launch.

I expect the EM kits to be released over the next 2 - 3 weeks, with Standard 00 sometime in April.

• Like 13