New range of simple to assemble 00/EM gauge pointwork kits - EM B7 Prototype - First Look

NFWEM57

Very, very interesting.....

Is/will the 4 mm scale OO track for flat bottom rail (be) Code 75?  (I model a period prior to concrete ties. )

Just thinking about adapting the rail components of a kit to Central Valley turnout tie kits for US prototype turnouts. I currently have integrated some Peco Finescale Code 75 turnouts from a former UK prototype layout into my current layout  with Peco and Model Engineering Code 70 flex track. Once ballasted the different tie spacings and track fixings are not so obvious. 

The rail height difference between Code 75 and Code 70 is minimal and not a problem operationally.  I also have one instance of a Code 83  turnout to a Code 75 turnout rail transition which have not been a problem. These are all in low speed yard and industrial trackage areas 

Basically I am looking for a simple way around the Fast Tracks very expensive jigs with soldering frogs and PC board ties to quickly and less expensively assemble turnouts.  

Now if Wayne wants to go global and offer North American prototype turnout tie configurations.....probably asking too much.

Edited by autocoach

28 minutes ago, autocoach said:

Just thinking about adapting the rail components of a kit to Central Valley turnout tie kits for US prototype turnouts.

Andy Reichert at proto87 stores does switches and crossings to use with the Central Valley ties, and does standard H0 versions as well as P87.

Suggest you look there.  http://www.proto87.com/

5 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Andy Reichert at proto87 stores does switches and crossings to use with the Central Valley ties, and does standard H0 versions as well as P87.

Suggest you look there.  http://www.proto87.com/

I am well aware if Andy's offerings.  Looking for other possibilities too....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Wayne,

Have you got the wrong file for the downloaded instructions on that page?

It refers to removing chairs from the sprue. (Also on the wiring diagram.)

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
typo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Wayne,

Have you got the wrong file for the downloaded instructions on that page?

It refers to removing chairs from the sprue.

cheers,

Martin.

LOL, yes that's my next job, update links to instructions and template...

Also need to take a few more photos, but hey :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Guys,

Proud day today, I have now officially released the EM Gauge B7 kit, ready to order on my website:

https://www.britishfinescale.com/product-p/finetrax-em-b7.htm

kitonsite.JPG.be3c90f485683046615b85bef2c5a723.JPG

Hoping to get the standard 00 Gauge version on the website next week, followed by 00-SF by the end of the month. It's been a lot of work, but I'm finally getting there :) Thanks to everyones support, especially Patrick Hunt, Martin Wynne, KeithHC and Hayfield (John).

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07_small.jpg

08.jpg

Wayne,

Well done, a fantastic concept. After a significant amount of development effort, you have created a first class product which sets a new standard and, critically, opens up EM to a far wider audience.  I wish you every success in this venture and look forward to seeing your product range grow.

Yes, a very proud moment indeed.

Regards,

Patrick

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

Wayne,

Sounds like 00 gauge items might be very popular. Everyone is in their starting blocks. 

I know you mentioned that 00 kits will be launched in the next week or so. Will that be turnouts only, at this stage?

If that is the case, when to you expect matching diamond crossings?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Guys,

PDF templates are up. An A3 size version, and also split over 2 A4 pages:

https://www.britishfinescale.com/v/vspfiles/pdftemplates/EM/Standard/B7/EM_B7_TEMPLATE_A3.pdf

https://www.britishfinescale.com/v/vspfiles/pdftemplates/EM/Standard/B7/EM_B7_TEMPLATE_A4_Page01.pdf

https://www.britishfinescale.com/v/vspfiles/pdftemplates/EM/Standard/B7/EM_B7_TEMPLATE_A4_Page02.pdf

template.JPG.42bdb2f47ff32b3c7f07650fe750f317.JPG

21 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Wayne,

Sounds like 00 gauge items might be very popular. Everyone is in their starting blocks. 

I know you mentioned that 00 kits will be launched in the next week or so. Will that be turnouts only, at this stage?

If that is the case, when to you expect matching diamond crossings?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

It's always tough to estimate timescales when you're a one man band. After the B7 is released in all 3 gauges, I plan on working on a matching 1in7 diamond, single and double slips.

Let's say around August to get all of the above kits released, including 00-SF versions.

I would then work on a smaller A5 after that.

In between I also need to work on the 3mm version for the 3mm society...

Thanks,
Wayne.

Edited by Wayne Kinney
Add Photo
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Wayne,

Many thanks, that's great! :)

It's a perfect match to the Templot EM B7 template (REA B-switch, regular V-crossing, 1:7 RAM):

finetrax_emb7.png.0a196ce5b938f9ed1247bb01fdf7f815.png

Which means anyone wanting to build it curved can print a curved template for it from Templot.

Templot users please note that Wayne has set the timbers centralized, which is not the default for square-on timbering. For a perfect match you need to change the setting, as above.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Now that these kits are available, I thought I would repost something I posted in the other topic a few months ago:

When I saw the photos of the new FinetraX cast V-crossings:

RMWeb3 (1 of 1).jpg

I was struck not only by their accuracy and realism, but also by the possibilities they create. By keeping them to the very minimum length necessary for the polarity switching, Wayne has created components which can be used in almost the same way as prototype crossings.

Prototype bolted crossings are normally made "straight over straight" within the bolted section, and are "faired" into a ruling curve with a big hammer. Some curving of the bolted section is possible by slackening the bolts, and re-tightening after curving, but not much.

Prototype curves are much gentler than most model curves, so the error introduced by having a short length of bolted straight in the curve is not much. Any roughness is soon worn off under traffic, which is one of the reasons for a speed restriction for a few days after new track has been laid.

This is a B-7 curved crossover in EM:

2_091005_480000000.png

Such a crossover can't be constructed use Peco curved turnouts, or any other ready-made pointwork. That's because both of these turnouts are the same hand, left-hand here. That's the only way the two running lines can be concentric (parallel), and on the prototype they would not require a speed restriction along the main lines.

Normally you wouldn't use B-7 for a curved crossover, a longer turnout such as a C-10 would be preferable. But sometimes on a model needs must, and a short curved crossover might be the only option which will fit. Here by allowing the inner radius to go down to 840mm/33", I was able to get the radius in the running line down to 1980mm/78".

This is what would happen with the FinetraX EM B-7 kit:

2_091005_480000001.png

The blue lines show where the rail edges should be if curved through the crossing, and the yellow lines show the effect of a dead-straight FinetraX V-crossing superimposed over them. You can see that the error is very small:

2_091005_480000002.png

Measuring with the ruler tool in Templot, it's about 0.06mm, or a couple of thou. That's within the typical construction limits for 00 and EM handbuilt track. Model trains won't wear that off any time soon, but if necessary we could fettle the crossing with a needle file or abrasive paper instead. It's likely in most cases no fettling would be needed, but it would be worth rounding over the nose of the vee in any event for the best running when building these kits.

What this long ramble is trying to say, is that those who have admired layouts having smooth flowing pointwork, but have felt that they lacked the skills to build it themselves, may well find that these new kits come to the rescue, and can be built into curves almost as easily as dead straight.

And if the components become available separately, they will allow complex pointwork formations to be constructed quite easily, and with very little restriction on the possible geometry.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

A friend brought one of the EM kits round for me to see a couple of days ago.  I'm a P4 modeller so there's nothing here for me yet but I have to say that I was very impressed with what I saw.  If P4 turnouts come along I would certainly give them serious consideration.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...