New range of simple to assemble 00/EM gauge pointwork kits - EM B7 Prototype - First Look

NFWEM57

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

OK, final one for today...

I think I've finished the CAD on the diamond crossing casting, a tried to do a little render. Shows the details on the chairs and casting, 'warts n all', I know it's not perfect, please go nicely! :) 

1in7_diamond_render.jpg

Wow...!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

I think I've finished the CAD on the diamond crossing casting, a tried to do a little render. Shows the details on the chairs and casting, 'warts n all', I know it's not perfect, please go nicely! :) 

1in7_diamond_render.jpg

Hi Wayne,

This is slightly off-topic and you might have answered it already (if so profuse apologies) but, what CAD software are you using and what rendering package?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Wayne,

This is slightly off-topic and you might have answered it already (if so profuse apologies) but, what CAD software are you using and what rendering package?

It's Solidworks. Bloody thing cost my £5K back in 2010 (bought for my camera accessories business) plus £1200 per year support and updates (which I cancelled back in 2016).

Think I was ripped off.... :D

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne Kinney said:

It's Solidworks. Bloody thing cost my £5K back in 2010 (bought for my camera accessories business) plus £1200 per year support and updates (which I cancelled back in 2016).

Think I was ripped off.... :D

Expensive but it seems to be the industry standard and clearly it's paying for itself now!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

1in7_diamond_render.jpg

I can only speak for myself, but if they are being honest, there are plenty of modellers who would be more than happy building a turnout of that standard by any other means, don't be hard on yourself!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

I would need to design 2034 kits and sell 3.4M before it paid for itself....but I'm ready ;)

I think that the above will be well in your capabilities. With all the different designs you have done so far even 3.4m will be a mere walk in the park.

Keith

Ps. That render looks absolutely great can I drool over it. Looking forward to seeing the real thing soon.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I can only speak for myself, but if they are being honest, there are plenty of modellers who would be more than happy building a turnout of that standard by any other means, don't be hard on yourself!

Absolutely! As a bare minimum it certainly looks infinitely better than rail soldered directly to PCB sleepers.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

I would need to design 2034 kits and sell 3.4M before it paid for itself....but I'm ready ;)

Stop posting and get working then! :jester:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne,

I have been teetering on a precipice and am being deduced by your range of n gauge track. I'm imagining how much of your n gauge stuff I could get into my shed.

So, you need to get the 00 gauge diamonds done or I'll end up spending a load of money on n gauge point kits.

Bob 

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Wayne,

Do you know roughly how long the 1:7 crossings will be?

Something like ~340mm for the OO version, I guess?

@Harlequin

Here's some dimensions:

finetrax_slip.png.6875b968722a1eb1c7d83c37ab8b4c73.png

See other topic:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/160234-new-range-of-simple-to-assemble-00em-gauge-pointwork-kits/&do=findComment&comment=4502182

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, RBAGE said:

It's very quiet.

3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I would say,  that, that means work is progressing and not being interrupted by wasting time posting on here.

On 30/06/2021 at 20:56, 57xx said:

Stop posting and get working then! :jester:

:blackeye::crazy::tease::wild::training::paint:

• Like 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looking good! I'm guessing it'll be a fair while before the single slip appears though? (he says, hoping the answer is 'soon'...)

I built and laid my first two of Wayne's kits (in OO-SF) over the weekend, and I have to say it was a very easy process:

IMG_20210830_163400351.jpg.50f23514bdf371d55cf6082eb7b51938.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks Nick,

I've actually also made the rubber mould and waxes for the slips, they are also waiting to be cast. I really want to crack on with these this month, I lost a lot of time in August going away with family and visiting old friends :) Now time to knuckle down.

P.S - Your 00-SF crossover looks great!

Edited by Wayne Kinney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Quick preview on the EM Gauge diamond kit so far. I've made the rubber moulds for the K crossings and waxes are now with the caster to be cast in Nickel Silver.

I've taken some pictures of the waxes in situ on the base:

DSC06030.JPG.41822de84d47cf6d5265a080685f63a9.JPGDSC06031.JPG.330e9b8c1c75d01dd8e75dead9d965f8.JPGDSC06032.JPG.2e9a876a21c408ffaf1bac07a59e85bf.JPGDSC06033.JPG.1fab9d7567b4c6b23a586a710b776abf.JPGDSC06034.JPG.f63af70959a669f7a6ed75159476a721.JPG

It looks like the rails don't align in the above image, but it's just because the base isn't sitting flat on the surface :)

I didn't know you were doing "insulfrog" stuff as well!

Kev.

:crazy::jester:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick,

I've actually also made the rubber mould and waxes for the slips, they are also waiting to be cast. I really want to crack on with these this month, I lost a lot of time in August going away with family and visiting old friends :) Now time to knuckle down.

P.S - Your 00-SF crossover looks great!

Thanks!

As discussed earleir in the thread, putting the two heel-to-heel gives a wider gap between the lines, but as this is a loco-release, I figured it'd probably be a 10ft way rather than 6ft anyway. As they're both slightly curved, I followed the advice from @martin_wynne and added a slight set in the curved stock rail, which definitely makes the switches sit better in the closed position.

The throat at other end is more complex, with 4 points and the single slip...

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1