New range of simple to assemble 00/EM gauge pointwork kits - EM B7 Prototype - First Look

NFWEM57

5 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Hi Guys,

Quick preview on the EM Gauge diamond kit so far. I've made the rubber moulds for the K crossings and waxes are now with the caster to be cast in Nickel Silver.

I've taken some pictures of the waxes in situ on the base:

DSC06030.JPG.41822de84d47cf6d5265a080685f63a9.JPGDSC06031.JPG.330e9b8c1c75d01dd8e75dead9d965f8.JPGDSC06032.JPG.2e9a876a21c408ffaf1bac07a59e85bf.JPGDSC06033.JPG.1fab9d7567b4c6b23a586a710b776abf.JPGDSC06034.JPG.f63af70959a669f7a6ed75159476a721.JPG

It looks like the rails don't align in the above image, but it's just because the base isn't sitting flat on the surface :)

Wayne

Very cleaver, no doubt an OOsf will follow soon using the same casting

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 hours ago, Jack P said:

Wayne, apologies if this has been covered before - but do you intend to produce any P4 turnouts? :)

I believe it's possible but to be honest I am so busy with all the other gauges I don't think I have the time, at least not at the moment...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

I believe it's possible but to be honest I am so busy with all the other gauges I don't think I have the time, at least not at the moment...

P4 would require tight tolerances and demand very careful application of the product. Not to say that's impossible of course but I suspect it's a fair bit more complicated than simply adjusting the gauge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

P4 would require tight tolerances and demand very careful application of the product. Not to say that's impossible of course but I suspect it's a fair bit more complicated than simply adjusting the gauge.

I don’t believe it would need anything other than the gauge widening and the flangeways narrowing. The manufacturing standards would I presume be the same. But there lay the issue, new castings for all the crossings whereas I think the OO-FS and EM use the same ones to help, so a lot more work. Wayne does seem to have his hands full at the moment……….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I don’t believe it would need anything other than the gauge widening and the flangeways narrowing. The manufacturing standards would I presume be the same. But there lay the issue, new castings for all the crossings whereas I think the OO-FS and EM use the same ones to help, so a lot more work. Wayne does seem to have his hands full at the moment……….

I assume if the 3D printing is as accurate as injection moulding things would be fine, its just the amount of give in the chairs if the rail is not pre-bent, then its how accurate the cast crossings are.

Looking at the EM cast crossing, I have no doubt Wayne could produce one to P4 standards

I have a cheap digital calliper, so it cannot be relied on for measuring to 1000 ths. My only concern is non pre-curved rails may slightly distort the gauge, but anyone modelling in P4 I would have thought would have the ability to overcome this.  

Possibly a better question is ,would there be a market in P4 for this, if so would the demand be sufficient to make it commercially viable ? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is more ‘give’ in P4 than is generally believed. As with any other standard the crucial bits are the same. BTB’s and checkrail measurements with no under-gauging. The rest is moot. I am sure Wayne could do it without issue. As is said, is there the demand to cover all the effort involved. Really not sure at all but very much doubt it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Is it just me, or is everyone else also getting an annoying ad video popup over the screen each time a new page is opened on this forum?  Seems to have started after the forum came back online, yesterday?

Yes, have a small window open with adverts open bottom right.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Is it just me, or is everyone else also getting an annoying ad video popup over the screen each time a new page is opened on this forum?  Seems to have started after the forum came back online, yesterday?

Wayne

I think I read something on here that this happens to non RMweb gold members as a trial, its a bit annoying, I will not buy anything from these adds therefore I doubt if they will be around for long

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NFWEM57 said:

Yes, have a small window open with adverts open bottom right.  

18 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Wayne

I think I read something on here that this happens to non RMweb gold members as a trial, its a bit annoying, I will not buy anything from these adds therefore I doubt if they will be around for long

Hi to you, i am not a RMweb gold member, but i do not getting the annoying ads with adblock which i have had for a long time.

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wayne Kinney said:

It's been going on for a while, before the recent problems. Gold users are immune to it, thank goodness!

It sounds like Andy is doing battle with people who want to see much more advertising on the site and there are some tests being carried out to reach a workable compromise. See: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/158853-advertising/&do=findComment&comment=4583145

To all readers: If you love RMWeb, if you think life would be lesser without it and if you want an ad-free experience, consider getting a Gold subscription. Seriously, this wonderful resource doesn't come for free!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

It's been going on for a while, before the recent problems. Gold users are immune to it, thank goodness!

It sounds like Andy is doing battle with people who want to see much more advertising on the site and there are some tests being carried out to reach a workable compromise. See: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/158853-advertising/&do=findComment&comment=4583145

To all readers: If you love RMWeb, if you think life would be lesser without it and if you want an ad-free experience, consider getting a Gold subscription. Seriously, this wonderful resource doesn't come for free!

Most are using this site for free and as we have seen over the past few days it costs to run it, so these adds are not that annoying and easily sorted

I just cannot see any benefit for me for Gold membership, if I am missing something then please explain, as I would hate to miss something. On the other hand I can accept somethings I have to pay for, so if there is a benefit I would be happy to contribute

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Most are using this site for free and as we have seen over the past few days it costs to run it, so these adds are not that annoying and easily sorted

I just cannot see any benefit for me for Gold membership, if I am missing something then please explain, as I would hate to miss something. On the other hand I can accept somethings I have to pay for, so if there is a benefit I would be happy to contribute

I assume by "easily sorted" you mean they can be blocked.

The ads need clicks to make them pay. If you block them then the advertisers will not get the clicks and not pay so much to advertise, and the whole model gradually breaks down. So it's not a guaranteed stable revenue stream to keep the site running.

You can see the list of tangible Gold benefits in RMWeb's own promotional material (access to other content, increased posting limits, etc.) but the less tangible benefits are:

• You never see any of the instability of advertising tests or changes, which so often have annoying unintended consequences for non-Gold users. (And advertising will keep on changing in the fight to get useful revenue from it.)
  • You are helping give the site a more stable future by giving it a more secure income stream.
  • A warm sense of "doing your bit" for the community.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

38 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I assume by "easily sorted" you mean they can be blocked.

The ads need clicks to make them pay. If you block them then the advertisers will not get the clicks and not pay so much to advertise, and the whole model gradually breaks down. So it's not a guaranteed stable revenue stream to keep the site running.

You can see the list of tangible Gold benefits in RMWeb's own promotional material (access to other content, increased posting limits, etc.) but the less tangible benefits are:

• You never see any of the instability of advertising tests or changes, which so often have annoying unintended consequences for non-Gold users. (And advertising will keep on changing in the fight to get useful revenue from it.)
  • You are helping give the site a more stable future by giving it a more secure income stream.
  • A warm sense of "doing your bit" for the community.

There is a dedicated thread for the Advertising debate - from which I am now excluded for voicing politically incorrect sentiments.

You have been warned!

CJI.

6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

There is a dedicated thread for the Advertising debate - from which I am now excluded for voicing politically incorrect sentiments.

You have been warned!

CJI.

Don't get me started.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, hayfield said:

Hi John,

I don't know what Gold by itself gets you, apart from ad-free viewing of RMweb.

But the World of Railways Plus subscription is great. In addition to Gold, you get a digital subscription to 5 magazines and access to their entire back catalogue -- that's about 800 magazines to read and 5 new ones every month:

wor_archive.jpg.8846e247cfd7c4d8916c5baae971d078.jpg

For me it's the back issues of Engineering in Miniature which is one I like to browse -- that stuff doesn't age.

I think RMweb could make more of this archive , instead of going on about special offers for stuff I don't want and newsletters I don't read.

The World of Railways Plus subscription is costing me £6 per month according to my email receipts.

Plus no ads on RMweb without feeling guilty about turning them off in your browser. You also get free admission to some exhibitions (if we ever have any again).

The sign-up is at: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/membership

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
link added
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

@Wayne Kinney can you confirm whether the kits that are in stock at the EM Gauge Society shop are the older cast frog kits, or the newer all-rail ones, please?

The pictures on emgs.org show the older style ones, but it may be that they just haven't updated the page.

Thanks,

Jonathan

13 minutes ago, JSModels said:

@Wayne Kinney can you confirm whether the kits that are in stock at the EM Gauge Society shop are the older cast frog kits, or the newer all-rail ones, please?

The pictures on emgs.org show the older style ones, but it may be that they just haven't updated the page.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

They are the older style kits, the EMGS is currently working on listing the newer style, so it would be best to contact them for details.