Kit build diesel options?

97xx

What (preferably brass/nickel silver) diesel kits are about out there?

I'm aware that many makers seem to go in and out of business, so what is currently available?

Would people be able to indicate quality/completeness as well?

Thanks.

I'm not aware of any 4mm main line British Outline diesel models covering Type 2 and above currently available. The sheer range of (even the most obscure) prototypes that have been produced as high spec RTR coupled with endless supplies of older Lima and similar models available as a base for adapting mean that there is very little market opportunity.

Edited by andyman7
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I'm not aware of any 4mm main line British Outline diesel models covering Type 2 and above currently available. The sheer range of (even the most obscure) prototypes that have been produced as high spec RTR coupled with endless supplies of older Lima and similar models available as a base for adapting mean that there is very little market opportunity.

Yes I was wondering of that was the case. I've been tempted by a few but the woeful quality variation in chassis of ones I'm interested in has somewhat put me off.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 97xx said:

Yes I was wondering of that was the case. I've been tempted by a few but the woeful quality variation in chassis of ones I'm interested in has somewhat put me off.

The quality of the D&E kits has often been an issue. There aren’t many of notable quality available, currently Judith Edge are undoubtedly leaders in this genre. One of the reasons you don’t find larger more curved profile types is that they aren’t conducive to being produced using flat surfaces like etchings, and then getting consistency in compound curves.

Second hand Modern Outline Kits did an 08, 40 and 47 which were brilliant for the technology and the era (80’s). However you needed to be very competent at etched construction to make a good model from them.

F8C4DE2D-6866-4F56-9221-B6B4E19EE3BB.jpeg.4d15ce38d1272e9e51a563b331c738fc.jpeg

Also Craftsman did an 02 and 07 both good basic kits, the 02 particularly good for a intro to etched building.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1