Super glue remover - is it any good?

Hello

I have been using some (very) cheap supermarket super glue to afix parts to some RTR coaches.

By accident I have got some on the paintwork and some on a window.

Nothing awful but I would like to remove it if possible. I believe there is something called super glue remover.

My fear is that it will make matters worse.

Is it likely to damage the paintwork on my Bachmann coach if I rub it over the offending glue?

Ditto the window glazing.

Thanks for any advice

Hi,

I have used it and it has worked very well, especially for unsticking your fingers. But just like superglue you get what you pay for. So buy a decent brand and not as you say cheap supermarket offerings. I would also recommend not using straight superglue but the gel variant. Tends not to run and go everywhere.

I've used it to unglue stuck fingers, it works well enough for that but my recollection was that it isn't a precision tool and it left my fingers very greasy. I'm not sure what's in it, acetone rings a bell in which case you don't want it anywhere near paintwork or glazing. 

If you use it, try it on a bit where it won't show or can be easily repainted. 

• Like 1

I used it on a loco body of a kit that was ready to paint.  It dissolved all the spot flller putty leaving a right mess and contaminated new filler when I tried to replace the old messed up stuff.  Ended up soaking it in concrete cleaner (my standard pre-paint cleaner over here) and eventually got it so that it would take new spot putty.

Edited by Theakerr
spelling

9 hours ago, Wheatley said:

I'm not sure what's in it, acetone rings a bell in which case you don't want it anywhere near paintwork or glazing. 

I would agree most Superglue removers seem to be based on Acetone. In fact I use a generic pound shop nail varnish remover to take superglue of my fingers. That is certainly acetone. You only have to do a quick internet search to find the issues with acetone and it will certainly affect the paintwork and probably the plastic underneath.

Although hard to do - If possible I would always try to replicate the problem where it would not affect the paintwork, glazing and only then attempt any repair of the original.