Etched W-irons 51L models MR 25ft Brake Van

animotion

Assembling what I can on the under frame until I figure out how the other pieces go together. Having folded up the W- irons and sweated the axle bearings into them there seemed to be a lot of side play when the wheels were in the axles, so much so that the wheels in the rocking W- iron were touching its base. I checked the axle lengths which are 26mm the correct length for EM. I could have squeezed the W- irons closer together but then they would not have been perpendicular to the underframe. My only solution is to turn up four brass washers to pack out the bearings from the W- irons. Another thing I had to do was turn a small Teflon guide for cantering the bearings in the holes of the w irons. The middle of the cast brass axleboxes are also going to need to be drilled so they fit over the axle bearings. It’s annoying when kit manufactures don’t design their kits to fit axle bearings properly, 2mm seems to be the standard outside dimension for axle bearings. Would be interested to know if anybody makes these washers for modellers who encounter the same issues.

IMG_3462.JPG