45 gallon drums

Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

Working on my scratchbuilt loco shed (see Donnersbachkogel) I thought I need some stuff to go inside or around the shed. And - a steamloco needs lubricants. Lots of it. So they will not buy it in litre bottles like the life steam enthusiast, but rather in standard 45 gallon barrels.

Had some scale barrels in the past which were moulded plastic, but I run out of them. Shops are closed, I have some time and a metal workshop, so on we go. Some 8mm aluminium bar (if you own a lathe you always have some metal stock), a drawing from the intenet, recalculated to scale and on we go.

50845032961_4b02e4ca47_h.jpg20210116_104831

I actually made 8, but 2 went into the hoover when cleaning some of the shavings away. I emtied the hooverbag into the bin and could recover one. One is lost... Well, it takes probably 5 minutes to produce one, so not a big loss.

As we have metal to paint it is good to have some basecolour. Best would be an etch primer, unfortunately none in my workshop. So Halfords white primer it is. Better than no primer.

50844305383_898aef3d3d_h.jpg20210116_111118

Looked for designs in the internet and of course at the colours available in my paint box. So it will be some shell, Castrol, JBC and one OMV drum

Having a printer and some decal paper I looked into the internet for some logos. They are pretty small if printed in scale! But I think it was worth the effect.

50844304648_6d4294f50c_h.jpg20210117_135425

Some may say you can buy them, but I like doing things, the cost was zero for me, and it kept me entertained over the weekend...

Or in other words - the fun is in the making...

Happy modelling!

Edited by Vecchio
spelling...
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1