Pictures at an Exhibition

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Premium
On 25/01/2021 at 15:59, queensquare said:

The crew for the one and only time that John Greenwood's entire North Cornwall empire was taken out of the loft,  Wells 2019. 

Jerry

P1050777p.jpg.a1d0196a68ab86bb8ec6608ba672402d.jpg

Thanks for the reminder of a great weekend!  

Really enjoying this thread, and looking forward to getting out to shows again.

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I only found this thread this morning.  What an excellent idea.

Let me take you back to a memorable but unusual exhibition experience, seven years ago last month.   It's February 2014, the two touring A4s have arrived at Barrow Hill and in a corner of the roundhouse some silly sod has volunteered to bring his layout for its first exhibition.  Worse, about a dozen other silly sods have agreed to come with him.  I'm afraid I don't recall whose photographs are whose in the main  - maybe the culprits could chip in.

spacer.png

Friday afternoon and we're already wondering what we've let ourselves in for as we see the brass monkeys inside lagging themselves.  At least they'd covered the pit over, that would help.   It didn't get any warmer all weekend.

spacer.png

All set up and ready to go.  The idea was that we'd run all 35 A4s over the weekend and so we'd been entrusted with a full set as you can see.   There was a commemorative booklet produced for the visit and we do feature in there as the 35th and final train passes on the Sunday lunchtime.  Harvey the Security Rabbit keeping a watchful eye.

spacer.png

I'm fairly sure this is a Chris Nevard picture, taken on the Friday evening just before we went off to defrost.   From left, Red Leader (whose fault it all was), myself, Graeme King, Mrs King, Mrs. RL and Roy Mears.

spacer.png

Here we are in full swing; Paul Bolton (back to camera) and myself working the fiddle yard, Roger and Lin in Mission Control and Tom Foster on the depot. 

spacer.png

Mr. King now in charge of the depot.

spacer.png

We kept the repair table busy all weekend.   Roy working his magic here, although I think that's 4444 in his hand, which never recovered.  

spacer.png

From the inside looking out, this is what we had to see; Midland half cab and Tornado receiving attention behind it.   Craig Thompson now in charge at North Fiddle.

spacer.png

We had Butler-Henderson at the other side, although Tom's attention seems to be elsewhere.

Thankfully ever since that first show we've been invited to venues with more heating and fewer holes in the walls.  It remains one of the most memorable weekends I've had with a model railway, though and we were superbly looked after by the Barrow Hill staff.   It was also the start of my ongoing involvement with the layout which, despite COVID, has not yet run its course.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

And why not? I reckon drooling over purchases - especially impulse buys - is an important part of the Exhibition Experience. :yes:

It also gives you time to contemplate how you are going to sneak them past SWMBO when you get home, or prepare your dubious but plausible justifications if that fails. :scared:  :jester:

In the early days of helping out John Redrup on the London Road Models stand at shows, we were often asked to provide an invoice showing the value of a purchase at something well below the actual figure.  It never happens nowadays, perhaps the customers have become more assertive.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

We know why you get invited to so many shows. :P

Are you suggesting its not my charm and good looks........:mocking_mini:

Another couple of well known characters puzzling over a bit of a situation. Railex 2010, some swine had pinched Chris Nevard's barge before opening and sailed it up the canal on Brian Harrap's brilliant Quai87 blocking the swing bridge - bit like that ship full of Bachmann containers currently blocking the Suez canal. 

Who could it possibly have been.......

Jerry

Quai87_2.JPG.0e420b85a5cb3b0020ad6ad2da34c9ff.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic pictures and great memories, going to Utrecht in 2016 certainly counts as an all time "high" from my point of view on very many levels.

And that floor at York does look extremely unforgiving. When I had my stall at Green Park market I used to stand on sheets of cardboard, although that was also to keep my feet warm!

I like this shot from Larkrail, taken by my friend Steve Cooke. Something seems to be mystifying Mike Corp and Nick Trudgian, and seated in front of Mike looking at a magazine is the never to be forgotten and much missed Dave Finney.

1-DSC_3160.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

I like this shot from Larkrail, taken by my friend Steve Cooke. Something seems to be mystifying Mike Corp and Nick Trudgian, and seated in front of Mike looking at a magazine is the never to be forgotten and much missed Dave Finney.

Speaking of Nick Trudgian, when my friend Paul and I were getting near finishing our radio control Mustang, we celebrated with a couple of beautiful giclee prints by Nick. Here's mine, still waiting to be hung:

P1180834.JPG.dcd110fe2e2880d6279046b579e88029.JPG

And here's the plane itself:

p51d.jpg.89b2a90bd5f8334c62a3a82ac6c0dc1d.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Let me take you back to a memorable but unusual exhibition experience, seven years ago last month.   It's February 2014, the two touring A4s have arrived at Barrow Hill and in a corner of the roundhouse some silly sod has volunteered to bring his layout for its first exhibition.  Worse, about a dozen other silly sods have agreed to come with him.  I'm afraid I don't recall whose photographs are whose in the main  - maybe the culprits could chip in.

Well, if you're going to report on something then at least do it properly:

IMG_8525.JPG.b0df2c736fbeba624bdfd1be5ef473a8.JPG

Here is the moment when the 35th A4 ran its train - the totaliser kept track and was 'proof' that it had been done

Others_0796a(OE).jpg.af1547239f1c6c7e89f001bf9ab3c445.jpg

Here's YT 'supervising' - a habit I don't seem to have got out of ... yet - in this case, digital uncoupling.

Personally, I thought it was a great way of 'shaking down' a layout prior to going on the circuit proper. If we could get it to work there, then it'll work anywhere (after a fashion).

• Like 4

On 20/01/2021 at 21:01, 70000 Britannia said:

Ever so slightly off the exhibition beaten track, who out there would hazard a guess and name (a) the location and (b) identify any of the usual 'suspects' having a serious session, playing trains?  I know 1 of them.

Dave

Doesn't look to be the same venue as below; all I know is that the photo below was one of the best Saturday evening 'socials' we've been to. Also the occasion of the strange case of the stolen burger n chips for which both culprits are depicted here.

WP_20160910_19_32_13_Pro.jpg.15214ba8a92337a1596254dcd70f175a.jpg

They know who they are ... apparently the arrest warrant is still out.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, DLT said:

Thanks for the reminder of a great weekend!  

Really enjoying this thread, and looking forward to getting out to shows again.

Dave.

Hi Dave, here's another memory for you. Wells (2015 - ish?) I came back from lunch and found my entire operating team and support crew sat in front of Maurice Hopper's lovely little S scale layout - no sign of Maurice mind you. Tucking Mill, which was right opposite the show entrance was being manfully run solo by your good self - and I believe you had paid to get in!

Jerry

R0032930.1.JPG.b6c8c4bf39a5e8ace78c6dbedfde9a35.JPG

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

YT 'supervising' - a habit I don't seem to have got out of ... yet

No, we know the eagle eye is everywhere:

spacer.png

spacer.png

It does worry the rest of us, though, when you look at it with that 'why's that happening?' expression.

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I thought it was a great way of 'shaking down' a layout prior to going on the circuit proper.

Good way to weed out any sickly operators up front as well.   We all came back men.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, queensquare said:

Hi Dave, here's another memory for you. Wells (2015 - ish?) I came back from lunch and found my entire operating team and support crew sat in front of Maurice Hopper's lovely little S scale layout - no sign of Maurice mind you. Tucking Mill, which was right opposite the show entrance was being manfully run solo by your good self - and I believe you had paid to get in!

Jerry

R0032930.1.JPG.c633d82ed989623d1714e4bc834da3f0.JPG 

Thanks very much Jerry.

Err, for some reason I can't see the picture, can anyone else?

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, DLT said:

Thanks very much Jerry.

Err, for some reason I can't see the picture, can anyone else?

Cheers, Dave.

Here you go Dave, I've also added it to the OP - not sure why it didnt come up first time.

Jerry

R0032930.1.JPG.58e20b956fd5bf337428f3c95548d3b1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

Here you go Dave, I've also added it to the OP - not sure why it didnt come up first time.

Jerry

R0032930.1.JPG.58e20b956fd5bf337428f3c95548d3b1.JPG

A Rose between loads of thorns(!)

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Go back a long, long time ago.. an Easter weekend in York for the show..

940893202_YorkBarryNorman.jpeg.4ba003daa277758b416be6b27e95cb26.jpeg

would you buy a used car from these men??

Barry Norman with moustache, in the background,  (under the C in Scene) the late Mike Sharman. Under the Westgate Wakefield sign, Steve Corrigall, long time operator of Ian Futers layouts...

Baz

more to come!

• Like 7

19 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

DSC09270.JPG.e129dfee7d73e5e9121e71aaca52906b.JPG

It's bad enough when those blokes with the big cameras are leaning over a railway and blocking your view or using a flash, but this guy takes the biscuit.   Seen him at a few exhibitions, walks around like everybody knows him

• Like 1
  • Funny 9