Pictures at an Exhibition

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2021 at 13:17, jwealleans said:

I only found this thread this morning.  What an excellent idea.

Let me take you back to a memorable but unusual exhibition experience, seven years ago last month.   It's February 2014, the two touring A4s have arrived at Barrow Hill and in a corner of the roundhouse some silly sod has volunteered to bring his layout for its first exhibition.  Worse, about a dozen other silly sods have agreed to come with him.  I'm afraid I don't recall whose photographs are whose in the main  - maybe the culprits could chip in.

spacer.png

Friday afternoon and we're already wondering what we've let ourselves in for as we see the brass monkeys inside lagging themselves.  At least they'd covered the pit over, that would help.   It didn't get any warmer all weekend.

spacer.png

All set up and ready to go.  The idea was that we'd run all 35 A4s over the weekend and so we'd been entrusted with a full set as you can see.   There was a commemorative booklet produced for the visit and we do feature in there as the 35th and final train passes on the Sunday lunchtime.  Harvey the Security Rabbit keeping a watchful eye.

spacer.png

I'm fairly sure this is a Chris Nevard picture, taken on the Friday evening just before we went off to defrost.   From left, Red Leader (whose fault it all was), myself, Graeme King, Mrs King, Mrs. RL and Roy Mears.

spacer.png

Here we are in full swing; Paul Bolton (back to camera) and myself working the fiddle yard, Roger and Lin in Mission Control and Tom Foster on the depot. 

spacer.png

Mr. King now in charge of the depot.

spacer.png

We kept the repair table busy all weekend.   Roy working his magic here, although I think that's 4444 in his hand, which never recovered.  

spacer.png

From the inside looking out, this is what we had to see; Midland half cab and Tornado receiving attention behind it.   Craig Thompson now in charge at North Fiddle.

spacer.png

We had Butler-Henderson at the other side, although Tom's attention seems to be elsewhere.

Thankfully ever since that first show we've been invited to venues with more heating and fewer holes in the walls.  It remains one of the most memorable weekends I've had with a model railway, though and we were superbly looked after by the Barrow Hill staff.   It was also the start of my ongoing involvement with the layout which, despite COVID, has not yet run its course.

It was definitely warmer than when I have spent time in the Chapel ballasting the layout.. just!

Baz

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Barry O said:

Barry Norman with moustache

and hair.

Steve Corrigall, long time operator of Ian Futers layouts

How is Steve? Mr F told me a while ago that he'd been very ill.

and .. its that Baz again..

765673965_BarryNormanagain.jpg.e61441b7ea7b88f78a8a566ec2b23735.jpg

I think that was at Aylesbury 

Baz

Wyndlesham Cove?

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

and hair.

How is Steve? Mr F told me a while ago that he'd been very ill.

Wyndlesham Cove?

Last time i saw him at Newcastle show he was ok but struggling a bit with health issues

Not sure but yes, I think it is Windy sham cove.. some more pictures from York will be added..

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2021 at 14:08, Jol Wilkinson said:

In the early days of helping out John Redrup on the London Road Models stand at shows, we were often asked to provide an invoice showing the value of a purchase at something well below the actual figure.  It never happens nowadays, perhaps the customers have become more assertive.

Reminds me of a conversation overheard at a show, father and son buying secondhand locos. 

One loco went in the rucksack, the other one in the inside pocket of large overcoat, with the words "And we won't show THIS one to Mummy"....

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

and hair.

Wyndlesham Cove?

Yes, that's Wyndlesham Cove, buildings based on Corfe Castle, and the forerunner of Petherick.

Featured on one of Bob Symes' videos; its on Youtube somewhere, but I can't find it at the mo.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the first picture of Barry is behind Petherick sans backscene - based on the trees sticking up. Wyndlesham Cove featured on the original 'a lineside look at model railways' video.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking through my photos I have realised that I must be one of the few people without a picture of Captain Kernow or Jerry Clifford.

Most shows I attended were either assisting with London Road Models or the London Road layout. As such I met a lot of people only briefly although I spent a lot of time with the operating team. My collection of photos  from the early days reminds me of several friends who are sadly no longer with us. This picture, taken at Railex in 2008 during "chocolate biscuit time" has from left, Russ Elliot, myself , Tony Osmond,  Tony Sheffield and Derek Smith. Sadly, Tony O passed away a year ago and Derek a couple of years before that.

1060831932_Biscuittime.JPG.a2511d3b3f3a20e10b0513ada443c6c2.JPG

When London Road was extended from from a terminus into a through station Derek and Tony Osmond retired from the team and I had to enlist some new members for a bigger team.  This is the team at ExpoEM 20127, when the layout one the best in show award.

From left, Colin McCallum, Tony Montgomery , Paul Cram, Denise M, Andy Walker, Richard McLachlan, me and John Sherratt. Being gentlemen we gave the engraved wineglass to Denise to hold while John got the tankard. The  team had other members who had other priorities that day, John Redrup and Tone Sheffield at their trade stands, while Hywel Rees was able to attend on the Saturday only and Keith Turbutt was, IIRC, on holiday. We live some way apart, Suffolk, Staffordshire, Cambs, Essex, West London, Herts. and now the layout has been retired, I shall miss meeting them together for our weekends away.

36134689_LRatExpoEMSpring2017.jpg.f410e4bbbdc497e6a5226fceb320455a.jpg

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Additional text
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Looking through my photos I have realised that I must be one of the few people without a picture of Captain Kernow or Jerry Clifford.

Your engines were the wrong shade of green even though they shared the name 'Western' in their pre grouping name.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/03/2021 at 10:52, DLT said:

Yes, that's Wyndlesham Cove, buildings based on Corfe Castle, and the forerunner of Petherick.

Featured on one of Bob Symes' videos; its on Youtube somewhere, but I can't find it at the mo.

Here's the link, it's Model Railways Part 2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kIFhjXg65M

Barry showing us Wyndlesham Cove, and introducing a part-built Petherick.

Followed by Dave Rowe's Axford, Shirley Rowe making trees, and finishing with Martin Brent's Rye Harbour.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

First up

a picture from the Victoria Baths (Nottingham MRS Exhibition from any years ago. This is a layout by Terru Onslow being operated by Stan "The Grumpy Shunter" Potter

171065133_StantheGrumpyshunteratNottingham.jpg.743fc5452d8a2ae06a11fbfbe6074aba.jpg

And another one of the Swindon operators.. in this case Ronnie "Readymix" Bailes. This time operating Dave Peacey's model of Highworth to Hannington

1637745546_RonBailes.jpg.263e2275c84eb4e9a5c2907aff9ed7ed.jpg

Not sure who Ronnie is talking to but the others in the photo are Dave Peacvey, my other half and Terry Onslow.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
spellung
  • Like 4

On 27/03/2021 at 14:01, Jol Wilkinson said:

Yes, he's always photobombing, and spoiling a good picture! :Dex_melksham01.jpg.2afcfbba09f94c1339e0da54d2b3d1ed.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Barry O said:

This is a layout by Terru Onslow being operated by Stan "The Grumpy Shunter" Potter

Treefelldown (Trefolwen) I think. Note the early use of a display screen. Terry wrote the software himself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

As it's coming up to York weekend, here's The Depots there in 2019, amazingly I trusted Boris with the controller...

20210328_203044_copy_1600x1200.jpg.39f2f462a0778ed96ff9c6839127a3bf.jpg

In olden days York was a great place to make new friends, meet old friends and spend time carousing of a night time.

We stayed in the Lady Ann Middleton Hotel. It had a glass topped well in the bar, beer was brought by the Viet Gwent, the Butcombe Junction Group (who also provided a small barrel of cider.. aka "Cold Tea"

740934396_LadyAnnMiddletonsingers!.jpg.a014016b133b413a2ee50fff4919572a.jpg

From left to right..

Steve Corrigal - Ian Futers other layout Operator, Keith Foster (Leamington MRS), Terry Onslow and Stan Potter (both Swindon MRS). Obviously all waiting  for the next song to begin!

The "renaming" of layouts to make them sound "better" seemed to start about this time.  It was all doen in good humour and showed the respect we all had for some very good modellers and their layouts.

Burnfoot - Ian Futers became "Burnt foot"

Petherick - Barry Norman became "Pathetic"

Wyndlesham Cove - Barry Normam became "Windy Sham Cove"

Laxford Bridge - the late Dave Walker - became "Lazative Bridge"

Kyle of Tongue - Steve Flint - became "Kylies Tongue"

Happy days!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Barry O said:

In olden days York was a great place to make new friends, meet old friends and spend time carousing of a night time.

We stayed in the Lady Ann Middleton Hotel. It had a glass topped well in the bar, beer was brought by the Viet Gwent, the Butcombe Junction Group (who also provided a small barrel of cider.. aka "Cold Tea"

740934396_LadyAnnMiddletonsingers!.jpg.a014016b133b413a2ee50fff4919572a.jpg

From left to right..

Steve Corrigal - Ian Futers other layout Operator, Keith Foster (Leamington MRS), Terry Onslow and Stan Potter (both Swindon MRS). Obviously all waiting  for the next song to begin!

The "renaming" of layouts to make them sound "better" seemed to start about this time.  It was all doen in good humour and showed the respect we all had for some very good modellers and their layouts.

Burnfoot - Ian Futers became "Burnt foot"

Petherick - Barry Norman became "Pathetic"

Wyndlesham Cove - Barry Normam became "Windy Sham Cove"

Laxford Bridge - the late Dave Walker - became "Lazative Bridge"

Kyle of Tongue - Steve Flint - became "Kylies Tongue"

Happy days!

Baz

Don't forget:

Brent > Bent

Tipple Lane > Cripple Lane

Scotsgap Junction > Scotscr@p Junction

etc.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Barry O said:

the Butcombe Junction Group

I remember being extremely disappointed with the Butcombe Junction Group's layout on my first visit to the York show in 1981.

The Show guide waxed lyrical about this group, and the cider-fuelled high jinks and jolly japes to be experienced around their layout. All I saw was a layout with rather mediocre scenery, with barely anything moving on it while the operators chatted among themselves behind it. 

Now admittedly this scenario seems to have afflicted many layouts over the years, although scenery methods have generally improved, but from that let-down in '81 I have been very wary of layout descriptions in Show guides ever since.

I never realised until now that the guide must have confused the layout description with the pub crawl report. :drinks:  :tease:  :fool:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Which layout was that? .. all the ones I can remember had very good scenery and buildings on it including the "Truckle of Cheese"  .. a pub....

Baz

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Which layout was that? .. all the ones I can remember had very good scenery and buildings on it including the "Truckle of Cheese"  .. a pub....

Baz

Whichever one was there in 1981.!?! ?

Mindyou I was similarly unimpressed with Mike Cook's Kingswear the same year, having drooled over the pics of it in RM a few months before, in the flesh it's running qualities left much to be desired, and the goods sidings never got touched....

In my defence I was a 14-year old Expert at the time.... ;)

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

maybe later but not when at York...

Baz

Kyle of Tongue had "atmosphere" a-plenty; I could smell the heather and hear the grouse (and the bagpipes)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DLT said:

Kyle of Tongue had "atmosphere" a-plenty; I could smell the heather and hear the grouse (and the bagpipes)

Could you smell the fish?

Oh wait, that was George Douglas' N gauge "Mallaig", where he left a kipper under the baseboard for the duration of a show.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I have dug out a box of (very dubious quality) slides taken back in the day, I'll post as we go along and we can all have fun identifying the layouts and personnel, some I know, some I don't.

Firstly a Danum Formil Society layout, the name of which escapes me, but I'm sure t-b-g will be able to fill in the gaps.

20210328072023_01.jpg.b4f681976cf205ffe28652889f418d21.jpg20210328072023_02.jpg.bfcf47930789e1af5ae6ce173a8c18c6.jpg20210328072828_06.jpg.c92501d18d9dd7fb38817535706a3420.jpg20210328072828_07.jpg.f843a708f9e3e213bf65525deab12e5a.jpg

More to follow.

Mike.

• Like 8