Pictures at an Exhibition

Not Jeremy

On 29/03/2021 at 10:21, steve1 said:

Showcase 2019 @Kier Hardy?

steve

That was Trainwest at Melksham in 2012 with Wibdenshaw, managed by the late great Geoff Endacott. His shows were always full of top notch stuff, and he blew me away with his interview to a local radio station during the weekend - a true wordsmith and excellent host / manager.

Here's some more images from that weekend - http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_operators12.html

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/03/2021 at 07:44, Enterprisingwestern said:

I have dug out a box of (very dubious quality) slides taken back in the day, I'll post as we go along and we can all have fun identifying the layouts and personnel, some I know, some I don't.

More to follow.

Mike.

Mike

Fantastic images, thank you for sharing them.

It is really nice seeing these older pictures of exhibitions. Apart from anything else they remind us of how incredibly useful and good digital devices now are at capturing images nearly anywhere and in difficult lighting conditions.

In addition to the layouts (that river bridge looks especially good) I love the operator with his ciggie and the bargain books at 25p each. 

Brilliant.

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2021 at 14:01, Jol Wilkinson said:

Looking through my photos I have realised that I must be one of the few people without a picture of Captain Kernow or Jerry Clifford

I could be available for the right incentive.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, queensquare said:

The Sydney Gardens team pay tribute to the much missed Malcomn Young, a true gent and a real character. Taunton, October 2016.

Jerry

IMG_1720.JPG.ce8df48f3a3c7f72a70e720d8753defe.JPG

I didn't know that ZZTop were into model railways?

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Funny 4

• 1 month later...
On 20/01/2021 at 21:01, 70000 Britannia said:

Ever so slightly off the exhibition beaten track, who out there would hazard a guess and name (a) the location and (b) identify any of the usual 'suspects' having a serious session, playing trains?  I know 1 of them.

Dave

20190629_212628.jpg.7af76ff6a46fadba5014a3091023dbd0.jpg

SMET in sunny Perthshire, recognise the driver and the person with the red top but no good with names.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/03/2021 at 17:51, F-UnitMad said:

Whichever one was there in 1981.!?! ?

Mindyou I was similarly unimpressed with Mike Cook's Kingswear the same year, having drooled over the pics of it in RM a few months before, in the flesh it's running qualities left much to be desired, and the goods sidings never got touched....

In my defence I was a 14-year old Expert at the time.... ;)

You are right about the poor running qualities of Kingswear. Mike was a showman and created great looking layouts but he was not a competent builder of finescale track - he had no idea of the pway concept of ‘top and line’. Point work on his previous layout, Totnes, was factory made by SMP. It was frustrating as an operator because I could predict what would derail and where it would derail. I was a 17 year old expert at the time!

• Like 2