Your last visit to a Model Railway Exhibition

Brian Hawkins

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Spalding Show 2nd Nov 2019, (and just before that the Broadland MRC Show on the 5th of October).

There are several local shows that have folded anyway pre covid, so my calendar  is looking bare these days.

The Norwich show due in April has already been cancelled, so at the moment my first chance to get out is our own provisional Broadland MRC open Day in May.

We've had flood warnings for a couple of weeks and it's not going to get better this week... Where are the locusts?

• Agree 2

The Alsager show in Crewe November 2019. Nice show and brilliant location at the Bentley sports and social club plus huge car park. I was intending to go to the Macclesfield Show in March but the virus was becoming a worry so I chickened out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

And potentially 18 hours of snow forecast for Cumbria - mind you it is something called Winter.

and we haven't really had the effects of the polar vortex hitting the USA at the moment..  We won't get it as bad as they have but it will cause storms over here..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The last photo that I took at a show was of my Czech  layout ' Dobris' at the Tenderden show in February 2020.

20200222_165237.jpg.3469d20b195fa7d4a6c8280e31c5560d.jpg

We should have been back again this year with another layout.

The last outing of a layout was the Freemo South meet in March 2020 where Fort Myers was part of the set up. This years Freemo South has been pushed back to the Summer so fingers tightly crossed that this may be able to go ahead in some form or another as its not open to the public, so only a few of us.

A photo of my other halfs two NS locos. She really likes these special liveries hence why she buys them for me to look after.

20200308_142735.jpg.49e4677aa22955cc2ee1887911efeed2.jpg

• Like 8

Last show I atended as a punter was the Sothamapton MRX at the end of January. Everyting seemed normal then. By the time our club's annual show in Romsey came round at the begining of March, and spending much of the weekend on the door, it was clear that a lot of people were already worried about the virus. I got the impression that quite a lot of our older visitors were having one last fling before things got bad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

We've had flood warnings for a couple of weeks and it's not going to get better this week... Where are the locusts?

Scotland . They are called midgies locally

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Basingstoke on 15th March 2020. Lockdown started on the Monday. The show was not that busy, presumably because some (wiser than me) kept away. In the circumstances, I was glad I went as it seemed to deserve support at the time. I am not sure I would have gone had I known then what I know now.....

Stopped at a Sainsbury's on the way back - rows of empty shelves and long queues at the petrol station. I just went around the corner and paid the few pence more a litre.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Legend said:

Scotland . They are called midgies locally

I naa all aboot them, How do you know it's not being raining is Scotland... You're being eaten by midges..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Lincoln Show at Newark Showground on 29th February.  It was a lovely sunny day, and I bought a bottle of Power Bond cyano; I'm just beginning to wonder whether I could buy another one on line somehow.

IMG_3207.jpg.f5bb934b4c8604da6fc331a5d078ce46.jpg

Before that I'd been to the Ebor Group's little show at Heworth Church Hall in February, and I was looking forward to the York Show at Easter.  I still am ....

Edited by 31A
Got the date wrong!
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Warley 2019 - was going to go to Stafford in February 'if it wasn't too cold for the motorbike' - obviously it was and so that was that. I have enjoyed the BRM virtual shows as lot but clearly it isnt the same. What I have come to realise is just how much 'stuff' from shows is still in boxes awaiting the attention it is now getting! Star 'find' is a Bachmann 4MT 2-6-0 that was actually 'free' with a BRM subscription one year at Warley - sure beats the more common 'Dremel and a paintbrush' type of offers that are more common these days. Looking forward to exhibitions coming back though realistically I think we might still be 12 months away :(

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 31A said:

Lincoln Show at Newark Showground on 29th March.  It was a lovely sunny day, and I bought a bottle of Power Bond cyano; I'm just beginning to wonder whether I could buy another one on line somehow.

IMG_3207.jpg.f5bb934b4c8604da6fc331a5d078ce46.jpg

Before that I'd been to the Ebor Group's little show at Heworth Church Hall in February, and I was looking forward to the York Show at Easter.  I still am ....

He is telling lies it was freezing cold, I know I was on car park duty. :heat:

Must have been my last show, it was so long ago can't remember that far back.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Same as the OP, my last exhibition was the Southampton show in 2020, but helping out with exhibiting a layout. I was tempted to go to the Basingstoke show, as that is on of my more local shows, and a regular on I visit, but thought better of it as i'd already been told to work from home at that point. Had I know the Southampton show was going to be my last one for a while (a long while as it turns out), i'd have stocked up on a few more things that I needed that a more difficult to get online.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

He is telling lies it was freezing cold, I know I was on car park duty. :heat:

Must have been my last show, it was so long ago can't remember that far back.

It also wasn’t the end of March, it was end of February. 

Nice weekend away from home, playing trains. Those were the days! 

Andi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

Was going to say , weren't we in lockdown 1 from 23rd March . And you could see it coming . I was due off on holiday to Vietnam on 11th  and only decided not to go day before as things rapidly deteriorating 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

Oops sorry, I don't know why I typed March!  Thank you for pointing out.  I have now edited it, in the interests of historical accuracy.  The Ebor Group show had been the weekend before.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

In the warm. It was bitter on the Sunday.

The Saturday was very wet and cars were having to park on the grass. I recall one bloke getting cross with me because I asked him to park on the grass as the gravel car park was reserved for blue badge holders. He didn't want to get his 4X4 dirty, not scared he would get stuck. The next car was a little sports thing from the 60s or 70s and the driver wound down the window and said he had a tow rope if he got stuck and would someone be able to pull him out, with a big cheerful smile on his face. He didn't get stuck, not sure how much dirt was on the 4X4.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was at the EMGS/Scalefour Society Skills Day at Didcot on 14th March, ,which arguably does not count.  Before that it must have been Leamington on 8th.  The first that was cancelled due to lockdown was Ally Pally on 21st.

Chris

• Like 1

I know I went to Model Rail in Scotland, after that it was a bit of a blur - did Stafford happen last year or not, I actually cannot remember.

I remember being on the platform at Manchester Piccadilly and seeing lots of Chinese people wearing masks - that's not completely unusual but I did think there were more wearing masks than before, it was the first time I really began to think perhaps I need to be more cautious of this thing.  I don't know where I was going to - was it Glasgow, Doncaster or Stafford?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1