Your last visit to a Model Railway Exhibition

Brian Hawkins

• RMweb Premium

I managed at least three shows last year (that I can remember), the last was Narrow Gauge North in Leeds on 14th March. And then a meal in a restuarant. All seems very distant now.

• Like 1

Like a few others, my last shows of 2020 were Stafford at the end of January and Model Rail Scotland in February. I remember being pleased when MRS finished as my feet and knees were killing me after three days of operating. Oh to be suffering that problem again!

At the current rate of vaccinations it looks like it might be August/September before everyone has had both jabs and restrictions lifted hopefully shortly afterwards.  In the meantime do as the big Polisman in Hill Street Blues used to say "Take care out there" and we will come out the other side, happy again to be moaning about crowded aisles, rucksacks and all the other old favourites.

Jim  

• Like 4

My last one was the September 2019 event at the STEAM Museum in Swindon. Could have made it to the Calne show in January 2020 but as this was the weekend before we moved to Cornwall it would have met with huge disapproval from SWMBO so I didn't dare. I later found out it had been cancelled anyway, not Covid related at that point.

I had been looking forward to visiting the late October Bodmin show down here for the first time last year but.......well, you know. Hopefully this year then.

I managed to retrieve my models, equipment and railway books from self-storage 5 miles away by the end of Friday 20th March, lockdown started the following Monday. Phew.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I know I went to Model Rail in Scotland, after that it was a bit of a blur - did Stafford happen last year or not, I actually cannot remember.

I remember being on the platform at Manchester Piccadilly and seeing lots of Chinese people wearing masks - that's not completely unusual but I did think there were more wearing masks than before, it was the first time I really began to think perhaps I need to be more cautious of this thing.  I don't know where I was going to - was it Glasgow, Doncaster or Stafford?

Like Woodenhead I attended the Model Rail Scotland but with with my layout Camel Quay having a couple of weeks previously exhibited it at Kendal.

Yes as a part of the exhibition team I can confirm that Stafford Exhibition did go ahead in 2020 on its usual first weekend in February 

Little did I know  that Stafford would be my last exhibition for 2020 having to cancel trips to both York & Derby where I had hoped to exhibit Camel Quay and a further cancellation in November for my other layout Oil Drum Lane 

I would also like to thank all concerned who have organised virtual exhibitions in last few months.

Lets all hope that later this year we may be able to once more attend our favourite exhibitions.

Keep Safe & Keep Modelling 

Terry 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Second last time out as an exhibitor with 'Whithorn'  was up to Model Rail Glasgow in February 2020 for a great weekend - pictures below.   And finally we exhibited 'Whithorn' at Macclesfield on 14/15 March. On the Sunday at Macclesfield there were more exhibitors and traders than visitors, and as the day went on it just went quieter and quieter.

Next time out up to Perth now cancelled - and then we are down the M5 to Taunton at the October Half Term.  Hope that one goes ahead - best model exhibition lunches there - IMHO!  (AM)

20200222_144145.jpg

20200222_144155.jpg

• Like 2

I managed two shows last year, before the lockdown hit. The Stafford exhibition was a pretty "ordinary" experience, although the large quantity of 3mm layouts was fascinating. Then I went to the Macclesfield exhibition just before the lockdown hit - that was a weird experience, Much quieter than would be expected. Regardless, there were good layouts on show and I picked up a keenly-priced pannier tank.

• Like 1

I saw two shows in January 2020, I'll mention both.

The Cardiff 'Small' Show was the last exhibition I went to, these are always enjoyable occasions with good modelling and good company.

Prior to that I went to my local show, the Weston-super-Mare 2020 Trainshow organised by Keith Price with all profits to Weston-super-Mare Hospicecare. Sadly that will be the last of those events as Keith Price passed away late last year after a long battle with cancer,

cheers

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

I saw two shows in January 2020, I'll mention both.

The Cardiff 'Small' Show was the last exhibition I went to, these are always enjoyable occasions with good modelling and good company.

Prior to that I went to my local show, the Weston-super-Mare 2020 Trainshow organised by Keith Price with all profits to Weston-super-Mare Hospicecare. Sadly that will be the last of those events as Keith Price passed away late last year after a long battle with cancer,

cheers

Keith will be much missed on the local circuit.

I understand there is an emerging proposal among some of his old team to put on a memorial show in January 2022.

Chris

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Keith will be much missed on the local circuit.

I understand there is an emerging proposal among some of his old team to put on a memorial show in January 2022.

Chris

That is good to hear.

I had read, or possibly overheard Keith at an exhibition, that Keith had made some arrangements for someone to take over the reins to keep the show going. But that was before covid, which I thought might be the end.

It would be great if a memorial show could be arranged.

cheers

• Like 2

The last show I exhibited Bucks Lane was the Blackburn model rail show in November 2019. This was the last show John Essex went to. He passed away with covid in June 2020. 
here we are the motley crew at Blackburn show 

from left to Right 

John, Richard, Iain (at the back of the layout)  ,me ,Derick and Graham. 

Mark 

B11ED2AF-443B-44FF-8E0B-A38AB7E71C09.jpeg

Edited by mark axlecounter
Spellings
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9