International shipping Hattons

GWR-fan

I believe at present that Royal Mail is not really a viable option when having goods shipped from the UK internationally so my latest purchase from Hattons was sent by DHL ondemand delivery.  I received the Hattons picking list email stating the items were picked at 1700 hours on the 13/1/21 (UK time).  I received the initial pickup email from DHL shortly after with expected delivery to Australia on Friday 22nd.  When I opened my door this morning (Monday 18th),  to my surprise,  the items had been delivered at 0730 am (local time).  This is four days ahead of schedule.  Excellent service from both Hattons and DHL.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I haven't bought anything from Hattons recently but I did get a 7mm loco last year that exceeded 2Kg so it came by DHL.  Expensive and I did get dinged for Sales Tax (normally Canada Post rarely bothers).   The parcel did arrive in about 3 days so that was good.

John

My package was between 2-3 kg. which could have been split between two packages,  but considering that due the very limited international fights to Australia's east coast,  I believe that there are either considerable delays in shipping with Royal Mail or that RM is not currently shipping downunder.

In mid-2020 my son purchased a rare kit from a German eBayer with shipping by DHL.  However, at the time DHL had banned shipping to Australia on packages of this size sent from Germany.  The eBayer agreed to hold onto the item for several months until DHL resumed shipping downunder and then sent it on its way, arriving in perfect condition.

Jon,

"Recent" covid increases in Royal Mail costs have slightly narrowed the margin.  In my most recent package the cost differential would have been GBP14.00.    This is with the items purchased placed in two packages rather than a single package with DHL.   In the current climate the cost differential is unimportant as I do not know that Royal Mail is actually able to deliver to Australia.  Unless a single item weighed in excess of 2 kg.,  I would always choose to split a package into multiple units and use Royal Mail if available.  The service from DHL is always superb,  but in "normal" circumstances the cost saving with using RM is more important to me than the time saved with DHL.  I have used DHL on multiple occasions when required and have always been impressed with the service received.

• Agree 2

By contrast, I cannot recommend Hattons other ‘courier’ option,  DPD. At the end of 2020 they clearly ‘bundled’ three seperate orders of mine, despite purchases made over a couple of weeks, End result:  seizure by Australian Border force, (combined over $1000) hundreds payable in duty and ‘brokerage’ fees.  I returned all items to Hattons for refund, as DPD had not fulfilled their advertised service.   While we are all aware of covid difficulties, this carrier does NOT do as claimed and is in my view to be avoided.

I believe that the recent increase in the spread of covid in the UK and shutdowns has impacted on Royal Mail deliveries.  Deliveries were being made several months ago but of late over the Christmas period Hattons advised that RM had stopped international shipping for the time being.   Hattons still offer shipping by Royal Mail but I do not believe that your item will be shipped immediately.

• 1 month later...

After picking the budget Royal Mail option last November and the packet taking over 2 months to arrive ( a distance of 500km  to where I live here in the Netherlands)  I also took the DHL option on my last order which arrived in less than a day.   (Sadly thanks to brexit I also got stung for an extra 20% plus 15 euros tax collection free.)   Speed is fantastic but it’s a lot less likely to have tax applied.

stephen

1 hour ago, NS Peak said:

After picking the budget Royal Mail option last November and the packet taking over 2 months to arrive ( a distance of 500km  to where I live here in the Netherlands)  I also took the DHL option on my last order which arrived in less than a day.   (Sadly thanks to brexit I also got stung for an extra 20% plus 15 euros tax collection free.)   Speed is fantastic but it’s a lot less likely to have tax applied.

stephen

But if you placed an order today with Hattons, they would deduct UK VAT, or NL VAT would be quoted in the price.

The main reason I use Hattons where possible is BECAUSE they have tracked options such as DHL, the VAT saving generally covers the extra shipping cost and I know where my stuff is.

Regards,

John P

• Agree 2

I believe Hattons are VAT registered in the EU and Collect and pay VAT at source as they are obliged to do if selling above a certain threshold.  Just when placed my last order this was around new year and DHL got confused.

other retailers I know are deducting vat which as you say is normally about the cost of post and packaging.  It’s just that over 22 euros you are then liable for local VAT (btw in NL) plus 5he surcharge for collecting.  I suspect DHL are more likely to collect on high value orders with track and trace than NL post will for non priority packages.  

I have an order coming from another retailer who deducted vat and put it through snail mail and I am curious if I will get stung for vat on that or not.

On 04/03/2021 at 04:49, dpgibbons said:

Hattons have just told me that their timescale to entertain a non-delivery claim from Australia has been extended from 25 working days to 3 months. 

Not just to Australia. They told me the same for shipping to the Netherlands