Birklands - A Lockdown Train Set

Watto1990

• RMweb Gold

So after treating myself at Christmas 2019 by ordering a set of flat pack baseboards I was looking forward to having a project for the occasional weekend off or evening free during what was shaping up to be a very busy 2020. In the end, a courier dropped off a pair of baseboards on the day Lockdown 1 was announced, and with nothing but time on my hands I dived right in.

Inspired by a plan found in a Peco track plan book Birklands is a firm ‘Rule 1’ 5ft x 4ft layout built on a pair of baseboards to allow for storage under the bed when not is use. It features a station with passing loop, a small locomotive depot and several small sidings.

Over the course of spring and summer I completed track laying, the wiring and electronics and constructed the station platform from the excellent Metcalfe kit. When restrictions began to ease and a return to normal life looked imminent I decided to let my fiancé have her kitchen table back and returned the layout to storage. Needless to say I called that wrong!

Now with months of being stuck at home looming Birklands has been set up and dusted off, and a list of tasks to be completed written:

- repair some decidedly dodgy wiring

- ballasting

- scenery

- buildings and structures

- dozens of things I’m sure I’ve forgotten

While Current Events continue I’ll carry on plugging away, making mistakes and keeping RMWeb members updated! 
3DE2048F-25D4-484C-B244-2807DF8AB99F.jpeg.3c488d9cf7b3ac1091ae7fa8ef54188d.jpeg7C033DFA-F739-4E6D-AE50-C8FCD0814E99.jpeg.96e54e6934ef5e63d7a35d9d72d4c990.jpeg

• Like 1