Jinty water tanks

JRChad

I’ve been stripping and rebuilding a very heavily soldered 0 gauge Jinty model for some time now and thought I might try to add a little more detail to the boiler by making it removable as per the prototype. Looking at a reproduction of drawing 29-11277 in LMS Profiles 14 it appears that the boiler support brackets on the sides of the fire box are marginally wider than the space between the water tanks. This implies that the tanks were removable presumably from within the external casing that extends down the side of the drivers cab. Unfortunately I can’t quite see if this is true from the drawings I have. 
It seems logical for the tanks to be removable for maintenance  but can anyone confirm that this is the case. 

Every part of a steam locomotive was removable, it was just a matter of how awkward the nuts and bolts were to get at, and how seized they were (hence the use of a gas axe at the works stripping pits).

I don't know what was entailed in removing the tanks from this class, but they were definitely could come off.

• RMweb Gold

You only have to look inside a loco workshop to see how the components were taken apart for repairs and maintenance. Highbridge only built one little shunter. All these locos have been stripped down for maintenance. Most seem to have had their boilers removed for attention in the boiler shop.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JRChad said:

I’ve been stripping and rebuilding a very heavily soldered 0 gauge Jinty model for some time now and thought I might try to add a little more detail to the boiler by making it removable as per the prototype. Looking at a reproduction of drawing 29-11277 in LMS Profiles 14 it appears that the boiler support brackets on the sides of the fire box are marginally wider than the space between the water tanks. This implies that the tanks were removable presumably from within the external casing that extends down the side of the drivers cab. Unfortunately I can’t quite see if this is true from the drawings I have. 
It seems logical for the tanks to be removable for maintenance  but can anyone confirm that this is the case. 

There's a splendidly detailed photie of a stripped down 474356 at St. Rollox in British Railways Illustrated Vol.18 No.1 [October 2008] 

Don't know about brackets, but the sort of detail "revealed" by removing the tanks includes the settling pipe, under the boiler level with the dome, the reversing lever [on the right side] and what I take to be a sandbox lever 

One other essential detail if the tank is coming off is a Do Not Move sign

17 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

173.20.jpg

That reminds me that I must finish my Connoisseur one.

:laugh:

Love the Birkenhead North sign. That wasn't found in it by any chance? Quite a few locomotives had bits slung in the bunker, firebox or tanks. I think it was to make up the weight for the scrapyard when parts had been taken by BR for reuse. And it was withdrawn from there.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I'm not sure about the date of the shed but the railway to Bath opened in 1869  -  so perhaps just a wee bit earlier than the '70s.

Thanks. Bitton station building is virtually a dead ringer for the S&C stations, the design being more-or-less standard issue from the company architect's office under J.H. Sandars - Baildon, opened 1876, being another example that springs to mind. So it's not surprising that the goods shed too should be very similar to the S&C ones, though differing in ornamentation.

Hi. re the Connoisseur Model kit. That's the one I'm rebuilding. Looking at your pictures there appears to be an error in the kit illustrations. The exploded diagram with the kit shows the skirt below the footplate with the large lug at the front of the chassis, which is what I've just done. In your pictures and in all of Jim's other illustrations the larger lug is at the back!! ah well third time lucky.