Novice needs help

SPW1

Having not been involved in the hobby since childhood, I took the opportunity in retirement to start building a layout that is probably a bit ambitious for a novice.

Anyway, I’ve done lots of research and have laid the track but run into my first problem with power. I’m hoping it’s something simple but it does seem a little odd. I’ve gone belt & braces with power to each piece of track but when I run a loco, it stops where the rails join. I’ve tested and there is power to all track and I’m not getting any shorts. In fact, when I lift the loco to the next piece of track it runs fine so the problem appears to be at the join.I have only tested one loco to date so not sure if it is the loco or track. Any suggestions? If it helps, I’m running an NCE Pro Cab and I’m creating three power districts using DCC Specialities PSX’s. Which is correctly wired.

Many thanks for the replies. I’ve double checked and my wiring is all correct so it’s not the polarity. It’s a Class 37 so not short wheelbase but, I’ve checked with a straight edge and the track is uneven. Caused by the join being at the start of a super elevated section on a curve. Which appears not to be a good location for a join!!

I’ll make some changes today and see how it goes. Again, thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, SPW1 said:

Many thanks for the replies. I’ve double checked and my wiring is all correct so it’s not the polarity. It’s a Class 37 so not short wheelbase but, I’ve checked with a straight edge and the track is uneven. Caused by the join being at the start of a super elevated section on a curve.

I would still have a hard look at the loco. A class 37 should be picking up form both bogies, and should negotiate someirregularities, unless the unevenness affects the whole length of the loco :o

• RMweb Gold

I have a Hornby Class 40, so again a long wheelbase. I have a layout nearing the end of tracklaying stage. This loco rarely suffered any unreliable running, and then suddenly began stopping on a R3 curve, always same spot. No other loco suffered this. By closer examination, I discovered there was a minute downward movement in a section of track as the loco ran over it. I held the sleeper down at the end, by pressing the end of a screwdriver on it, and loco ran ok over it. Just needed another track pin to stop that movement.

I can only think that the wheelbase dimensions and weight Combination limited the problem to this loco. That said, having got close to the end of the tracklaying stage, I fully expect some dust and grime on the track which may have also contributed.

22 hours ago, Crosland said:

I would still have a hard look at the loco. A class 37 should be picking up form both bogies, and should negotiate someirregularities, unless the unevenness affects the whole length of the loco :o

Good news, problem now resolved. And it was very definitely the uneven track (a combination of location of the join and poorly fitted joiners). Lesson learnt and thanks to everyone as the help is really appreciated. What a great resource this and no doubt I’ll be back again for more help!

• Like 1

Rail joins anywhere the track changes geometry are not ideal (super elevated section or at the start of a curve) because they encourage the join to become a change in direction. There is sometimes little you can do though.

I tried super elevation a few years ago & did not do it very well. In hindsight, the transition was not gradual enough. I have not re-tried it since.