First stab at scratch building a few items for new layout

NoelG

Signal box for Gort railway station

IMG_9053.jpg

Water tower for Gort railway station

IMG_9070.jpg

Gort Goods shed as it was circa 1974

IMG_9109.jpg

These are now ready for decoration and detailing. Then weathering.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• NoelG changed the title to First stab at scratch building a few items for new layout

If this is your "first stab" I'd say you've got the stabbery instincts of a surgeon. Amazing work! Are they all made of plastic card?

On 20/01/2021 at 13:38, WM183 said:

If this is your "first stab" I'd say you've got the stabbery instincts of a surgeon. Amazing work! Are they all made of plastic card?

:laugh_mini: Your very kind. Thank you. A childhood spent assembling model aeroplane kits after meccano and lego. Yes plastic card with Balsa used for some of the structural elements in the larger buildings. Balsa is very stable and doesn't warp unlike plastic card when the surface area gets large. Its very useful for roof structures and side wall supports.

IMG_8949.jpg

• Like 2

Having a second stab at another building Gort station house in progress.

No drawings just a few photos to guess dimensions. This is the station house about 1980.

Gort_Station_building_Leslie.jpg

Started with sides

IMG_9212.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg

Then glue it together like a kit. Flat roof done. Pitched roof due on LHS section

IMG_9276.jpg

Just the corner stones left and the pitched roof

IMG_9279.jpg

• Like 5

More progress. Learning so much new stuff on the go. Very enjoyable learning process.

IMG_9310.jpg

The hipped roof was a challenge for me.

IMG_9308.jpg

Anyway enjoyed this trial building the four buildings for new layout rather than using kits or RTR models

• Like 1

On 12/02/2021 at 12:40, Rhb Simon said:

Those are all excellent Noel. Some of us will take years to get to this standard.

I particularly like your station building. Who's embossed sheets have you used for the stonework on your buildings??

Thank you. Its a learning process that's relaxing and enjoyable. For that building I used http://www.greenstuffworld.com smooth rock wall sheets. For the station ticket office the stone was dressed so used some old slaters sheets I bought 20 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...