Replacement for trusty Lenz Set 100 but need mod-cons - detection etc

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

After a bit of advice If I may. I am reconstructing the layout (large) and want to replace my set 100 with something more modern, its got to be 20 years old or more. The new layout will have storage roads underneath the scenic boards,. The loose plan is to have ten storage roads, maybe up to 50 feet long each, round the loft, but each sub-divided into five ten foot long sections. This reduces the number of sets of points needed. Point control etc will be by traditional means, I like the tactile operation of switches. So I am looking for a DCC system that will tell me which loco/unit is in each section, there being up to 50 sections. And, if such a thing exists that will automatically shuffle a train forward a section when the next one becomes empty, that would be a bonus, all I'd have to do is choose what to bring up to the scenic area next, and send whatever I need down into the next empty road.

I have looked at the Z21, and Digitrax etc but to be honest a bit baffled by what would achieve the above. 

Appreciate your help and adice

Matt

Edited by 33212

To achieve what you want you are looking at a computer programme, and that then means you need to have a system of detection and occupation which then means you need a communication bus to get that information back to the command station. Once at the command station you then need an interface to tell the computer that something is in block A or Block B.

The DCC system will control the trains but it will be the computer with all the rest of the stuff that will tell you what train is where. 

This will still allow you to drive the trains manually and you can still change the turnouts manually .

Is this where you want to go - if it is then the Z21 is a good choice.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 33212 said:

...... Point control etc will be by traditional means, I like the tactile operation of switches.....

You can have ordinary switches, push buttons, or mini point levers to send DCC commands to operate points etc.

The advantage is that you can still operate points manually and the computer software that Iain mentions, will update from reading those commands.

If those same switches etc, are working by analogue, it becomes much more complicated to introduce computer software into the equation.

• Agree 1