Roco 0-6-0 Diesel OO-9 33204

rynd2it

Ah, I was fine until you wrote that. I'm not exactly sure what the inductor is although I can probably find the capacitor.  What effect do they have on the running and what exactly am I looking at?

They destroy the DCC signal, or at best severely attenuate it and loco running will be very poor.

It depends on the age of the model you are converting as to whether it just has a capacitor or it also has the coil fitted. It is obvious especially as what you need to do is connect the red and black leads to the pickups and the orange and grey to the brushes with nothing in between :)

• 9 months later...

I finally bit the bullet on converting this loco but as I'm a total novice at this I thought I would check before starting work. In this photo of the workings, I see a capacitor and two resistors. I know you said remove the capacitor but what about the resistors- do I remove them as well before adding the chip? Also, where did you put the chip, I'm thinking right at the front or maybe the cab roof?

Thanks

Shunter.jpg

Edited by rynd2it

Hello Iain,

My chips have arrived and I'm looking at the loco. 

I'm thinking to mount the chip on the chassis immediately on to of the drive pinion.

The headlight is actually transparent so I can mount the front LED on the chassis,  and there seems to be room for the rear LED on the back of the motor as well. This would mean that the body would be easily removeable with all wiring on the chassis.

As I said, I new to this so would appreciate your input on this plan

Thanks

David