Condurrow '60's China Clay

treggyman

Hi Tony

Thanks for the above comment....

The link for the stonework is in the Feb 11th post by LBRJ......

I am pleased with it but if you read on further others are not so so maybe it's a bit pot luck & I've been lucky......

As regards your offer of pics of Dunster possibly....

The Eric plans booklet gives detailed drawings & plans of all the major buildings at Dunster....Which I have used as a reference for dimensions for other buildings that I've built on this & other layouts.....

The specific design of windows etc isn't quite right for Cornwall but general pictures of buildings are always of use......

My parents in law used to live in Bilbrook so back in the day I was a regular visitor to the area.....

I even did a photo survey of the line only to later discover there was no film in the camera.....How I laughed when I opened the camera.....

If you've any more pics of the cattle pens at Stogumber though I would be more than interested as I had thought of putting some cattle pens in the short stub siding by the level crossing.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 31/05/2021 at 16:36, Mulgabill said:

I do like the stonework on your boilerhouse Bill.

Might I ask what you have used, just incase I get bored with scribing clay, when I next have

to reproduce stonework.

Re your later post refering to Dunster, do you need any pics? I am one stop up the line

at the moment, so I'm sure some could be arranged.

Cheers  TONY

Hi Tony

Thanks for the offer but not of Dunster......

I've been looking for a suitable signal box.......There are drawings of Dunster 'box in the Ericplans book (I believe this 'box is now Mineheads 'box having been moved )....

However reading the thread regarding the problems that the WSR finds itself in there are a couple of pics posted by GWRROB of Blue Anchor 'box.......

This box might be ideal for the location I'm visualising with the proximity to the station building & the stairs between the two buildings......

Any pics of that box would be great.....especially the road elevation & a full frontal from the railway side.......

I can work out dimensions from the plans I have in the Ericplans book

Cheers Bill

• Agree 1

Hi Bill

We have just spent a lovely week in one of the camping coaches at Blue Anchor and I'm gradually up loading pictures and video to my flickr pages (see link below) which may be of help to you or I can post some here if you prefer.

DSC_7290.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bubbles2 said:

Hi Bill

We have just spent a lovely week in one of the camping coaches at Blue Anchor and I'm gradually up loading pictures and video to my flickr pages (see link below) which may be of help to you or I can post some here if you prefer.

DSC_7290.JPG

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the offer.....

You've taken some nice pictures there...

I especially like Williton Signal box....

Probably a tad small for my requirements......

As regards posting them I now know where they are so I can look at my leisure....

Hope you are keeping well....

Hopefully catch up with you sometime soon....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

Hi Bill

DSC_7290.JPG

That's definitely one for the "when the real thing looks like a model" thread!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 03/06/2021 at 21:21, treggyman said:

Hi Tony

Thanks for the offer but not of Dunster......

I've been looking for a suitable signal box.......There are drawings of Dunster 'box in the Ericplans book (I believe this 'box is now Mineheads 'box having been moved )....

However reading the thread regarding the problems that the WSR finds itself in there are a couple of pics posted by GWRROB of Blue Anchor 'box.......

This box might be ideal for the location I'm visualising with the proximity to the station building & the stairs between the two buildings......

Any pics of that box would be great.....especially the road elevation & a full frontal from the railway side.......

I can work out dimensions from the plans I have in the Ericplans book

Cheers Bill

Apologies for the delay in responding, the site wi-fi went down on Thursday, and only returned yesterday.

You can imagine how long it took to catch up on here!

I have been down the road, camera in hand, but the pics available are hindered by the stations being

closed, and locked. Hence the front view is not square on.

DSC_0819.JPG.76357e58c021a7758db7bfa5da5464aa.JPG

DSC_0822.JPG.3eb8c1f2bfd0cbf851e8cac2fff846cd.JPG

DSC_0821.JPG.fe1399105b800bf625dd54028a0fb83a.JPG

The West end view includes the locking room door. The walls of the doorway are 3'3" apart. (I must thank

you for demonstrating the need to always carry a tape measure, for which I have taken some stick

from the boss, of late)

I do have a couple more detail pics, plus some of Stogumber cattle dock. Although access to that is limited,

as it's not quite finished, requiring some brickwork (apparently) and some rails plus gates, fitting.

I will revisit both sites, and grab some more, as and when access becomes easier. Are you happy to have them on here, or would you prefer me to pm them.

AOB

By chance, whilst typing this I came across your grandsons topic, have signed up to follow.

Are you aware of any plans for any exhibitions down your way way later this year? (And I don't mean the gatecrashers this week!)

All the best

TONY

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Tony

Thanks for the pics.....They are really useful & I shall probably be using them as a basis for my signal box when I get to it......

I've been in London visiting my other grand kid (& parents ) & have only just got back hence my slow reply....

As regards exhibitions I'm not aware of any but I've not really been looking yet.....

I'll have a trawl & let you know....

As regards my grandson he's really keen & is a volunteer at the Helston Railway....

Also spends as much time as he can riding trains & spotting......

Did you spot Penhallick Junction as the background to the first picture of his new loco....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

20 hours ago, treggyman said:

Hi Tony

Thanks for the pics.....They are really useful & I shall probably be using them as a basis for my signal box when I get to it......

I've been in London visiting my other grand kid (& parents ) & have only just got back hence my slow reply....

As regards exhibitions I'm not aware of any but I've not really been looking yet.....

I'll have a trawl & let you know....

As regards my grandson he's really keen & is a volunteer at the Helston Railway....

Also spends as much time as he can riding trains & spotting......

Did you spot Penhallick Junction as the background to the first picture of his new loco....

Cheers Bill

HI Bill

I did spot Penhallick, although I'll confess to not remembering the name. The signal

box was particularly attractive.

I'll try and get some more pics of BA box, when they unlock some gates. I'm particularly

thinking the steps / porch would be useful.

Here are some of Stogumber cattle dock..

DSC_0711.JPG.922df981cd3daf617fd49d5d9d1353b3.JPG

DSC_0712.JPG.709d2574d768fb144e603765cd52a89b.JPG

DSC_0713.JPG.cd269eba791ed7f222cc74b3911e4a48.JPG

DSC_0714.JPG.990e46e52299924d2f05ae18683c8519.JPG

Will send a couple more tomorrow.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

HI Bill

I did spot Penhallick, although I'll confess to not remembering the name. The signal

box was particularly attractive.

I'll try and get some more pics of BA box, when they unlock some gates. I'm particularly

thinking the steps / porch would be useful.

Here are some of Stogumber cattle dock..

DSC_0711.JPG.922df981cd3daf617fd49d5d9d1353b3.JPG

DSC_0712.JPG.709d2574d768fb144e603765cd52a89b.JPG

DSC_0713.JPG.cd269eba791ed7f222cc74b3911e4a48.JPG

DSC_0714.JPG.990e46e52299924d2f05ae18683c8519.JPG

Will send a couple more tomorrow.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for the pics of Stogumber....Very useful.....

Thanks in anticipation for the BA ones when access is possible.....

Yes it's the way the steps & porch are in relation to the Station building & signal box that I was most struck by......

Probably common but I've never noticed one like that before.....

Cheers Bill

3 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Another batch, as promised.

All Stogumber.

DSC_0715.JPG.4abfcd723b3cace2feb6e6ed7f9df642.JPG

DSC_0716.JPG.d64de745c28646933cb851942495267e.JPG

DSC_0717.JPG.525f45f5106e9ed980cd3f2e20217c30.JPG

DSC_0721.JPG.d4003d076ff9b815a5a1cfa014931bf9.JPG

Will keep going through pics, and post more as I find them.

TONY

Hi

Tony

Thanks for the pics....

Again most helpful.....

I actually started scaling out the 'box last night.......

From my Ericplans book & your pics of the' box I have a reasonable idea of how it will look & by using guesswork & known dimensions  can cobble something for the stairs /porch area .....Hopefully......

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi

Well I finished off my 'scaling' to produce a drawing on the foam board base......

This is what I shall make into a shell & then add brick/timber/etc to to make the 'box out of.....A sort of kit....

IMG_4580.resized.JPG.25c4ed8b13dc3628131495f1325e29ef.JPG

Hopefully it will look the part when actually made up & clad......

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

Hi

Had a bit of time today so converted the 'drawing' into a shell.......

This when clad in due course with various plasticard sheets will hopefully look the part....

I normally do the corner posts out of square section & I may well do that again....

Having not used foamboard much for scratchbuilding I'm experimenting......

IMG_4581.resized.JPG.58ed95cda06d7998268ba7019fe17897.JPG

IMG_4585.resized.JPG.3bdef75cfdc09dc798e8b2e779fdee95.JPGIn due course I plan to do an interior so I will make a removable intermediate floor which may get fixed when finished.....There will probably be some sort of lighting so that the interior can be seen.....

But that's way in the future.....

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman
To add missing word
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, treggyman said:

Hi

Had a bit of time today so converted the 'drawing' into a shell.......

This when clad in due course with various plasticard sheets will hopefully look the part....

I normally do the corner posts out of square section & I may well do that again....

Having not used foamboard much for scratchbuilding I'm experimenting......

IMG_4581.resized.JPG.58ed95cda06d7998268ba7019fe17897.JPG

IMG_4585.resized.JPG.3bdef75cfdc09dc798e8b2e779fdee95.JPGIn due course I plan to do an interior so I will make a removable intermediate floor which may get fixed when finished.....There will probably be some sort of lighting so that the interior can be seen.....

But that's way in the future.....

Cheers Bill

Looking good Bill, but one small observation - I think the BA box has the doorway

at the back of the side wall, rather than centrally. This could mean the steps don't

need to protrude too far infront of the box. Could be worth a check, unless you've

plenty of room in front of the box.

Wish I was cracking on with stuff like you, I don't deem to get above muddeling

along at the moment.

Cheers

TONY

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Looking good Bill, but one small observation - I think the BA box has the doorway

at the back of the side wall, rather than centrally. This could mean the steps don't

need to protrude too far infront of the box. Could be worth a check, unless you've

plenty of room in front of the box.

Wish I was cracking on with stuff like you, I don't deem to get above muddeling

along at the moment.

Cheers

TONY

Hi Tony

Thanks for the above......

I had thought that it might be the case that the doorway was at the back.....BUT......

My Bible Ericplans has a plan of Brimscombe where the signal box is on the platform almost completely......

It has a two stage set of steps....

The first is a staircase to platform level & the second steps down into the locking room 'through' the platform......

Measuring the level drop & angle of the staircase it looks as though the bottom of the staircase will be just protruding past the front wall of the 'box....

In Brimscombes case the staircase stairs follow the line of the platform rather than at right angles to it like at Blue Anchor......

This meant i could use a set of drawings rather than guess.....

Apart from the middle window which in Brimscombe's case is a double & Blue Anchor a single.....

So just adjusted the dimensions to suit....

As far as cracking on with stuff I wish that were the case.....

AS you can see from the slow progress I'm not getting on as quickly as I used to but am now trying to make time to do some modelling as life is doing it's best to stop me....

At the end of the day whether we're muddling along or modeling along so long as we're enjoying what time we have  doing it that's the best we can achieve........

Thanks again for your valuable input...

Cheers Bill

• Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

There's been a bit of progress......

The boiler house has been clad in 'wallpaper' as has the stone part of the Linhay......

The boiler house has gutters/downpipes etc fitted & painted & in the main is complete....

I shall put a coal heap in the open coalhole doorway in due course.....

The Linhay still needs a lot of work but is getting there.....

My grandson came over last Monday to have a play on this layout & Hendra......

He spent all day shunting trains on both & didn't come up with any major problem.....

Identified where additional magnets are required on Condurrow was the most useful but it seemed to enjoy operating it for a long period which is a good sign.....

The same was true of Hendra .

Anyway a couple of poor 'snaps' of the boiler house & Linhay.....

IMG_4586.resized.JPG.ad7008256114a83d294797936a9b3106.JPG

IMG_4588.resized.JPG.27e185f92d2ce76dafd8c13350c4b644.JPG

That's al for now ....

Hopefully get more done next week....

Cheers Bill

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill

Have a couple more pics of BA for you.

However it was bucketing down, from the moment the loco whistled for the signal

into the station! And you ccan't get on the station until they release the gates, to

let the apssengers get out.

But it has occurred to me that the only chance I may yet have is the next 2 days,

'cos when they start running to Dunster, the gates will probably stay locked.

DSC_0833.JPG.6c3247fa7a014db8efeec1754ef98ac9.JPG

DSC_0834.JPG.02a6629b6a497a80e515f5f979df55d3.JPG

DSC_0835.JPG.5ad3106da3237a11a34c6daff101f39b.JPG

So do let me know if there are any particular details you want, beyond these, and I'll try

my best.

Will follow up with a bonus bunch.

TONY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Tony

Thanks for the two sets of pictures posted above....

They will be most useful.....

What an OS Reference point is doing in the signal box wall though.....

It will certainly be a small feature.....

Thanks again

Cheers Bill

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

Well the Glacier has moved....Must be global warming.....

Since my last post a month ago there has been some progress......

The new siding has been laid......This required a new point & trap point to be made & laid.....

All in wired up & working.....

IMG_4596.resized.JPG.b1ed82e56d127b38d181e05e7fd775c3.JPG

This meant that I couldn't use the goods shed I'd previously built......

I could have gone half relief.....But the shed would've been huge so on the basis that the main reason that the station is there is to serve the Clay industry I assumed a small one would suffice.....

With hindsight I should've built it a bit longer as I can't quite get two wagons inside if the doors were to be closed.....Not that the doors will ever move when made & fitted.....

IMG_4591.resized.JPG.1a33d9858e74d2bfdb917a77d5446be3.JPG

IMG_4595.resized.JPG.de276e8d62dc5291cf1b480b2c96e1d3.JPG

Again I've used the 'wallpaper' cladding.....

Doors still to be made & various bits to be painted but I think it's come out OK.

i've also started to clad the signal box....This with plasticard as the wallpaper brickwork is not smooth as proper face d brick should be but rustic/textured.....

IMG_4593.resized.JPG.87b8abb24db1a18b28d73ee6d72872a6.JPG

I've bought an interior for the 'box....A nice looking kit from LCUT Creative......Not made it yet & I've no connection to them but it looks nice.....

Hopefully get a bit more done soon....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

It's good to see you are moving forward Bill, and this post is timely. It reminded

me I had got one more SB pic for you.

DSC_0856.JPG.e237cb86cd14382f082a5f8512a6b854.JPG

Somehow it was uploaded singly, and them , missed. But the slightly angled view may

actually show more detail.

Keep up the good work

TONY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

It's good to see you are moving forward Bill, and this post is timely. It reminded

me I had got one more SB pic for you.

DSC_0856.JPG.e237cb86cd14382f082a5f8512a6b854.JPG

Somehow it was uploaded singly, and them , missed. But the slightly angled view may

actually show more detail.

Keep up the good work

TONY

Hi

Tony

Thanks for the photo.....

I'm pretty sure from that that I've got the door in the right place in the middle rather than the back end of the wall....

Oddly enough Bachmann produced a model of Blue Anchor signal box & I saw a damaged one for sale on Ebay....

I put in a bid but unfortunately forgot about it as I would have paid more than it went for.....

Still my 'Box will be unique & it will be easier to fit a n interior.....

Thanks again for the photo....

Cheers Bill

Cheers Bill

• Like 2