Bachmann type coaches on e-bay

Derekl

There is a chap on e-bay selling quantities of what are described as generic maroon Mark 1 SKs with Bachmann couplings for £10 a pop. The coaches do not have an identifier of manufacture on the underframe, and are devoid of running numbers and crest, but do have lining. They certainly look identical to Bachmann and have the Bachmann closer coupling arrangement.

Anybody know where they originate?

There’s these ones described as Hornby, but look like the Hachete ones (to be fair the description does say he doesn’t know what make they are and they are cheaper than his Hornby ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Unmarked-BR-Maroon-Mk1-Coach-not-numbered-or-badged-factory-packaged-/313316188970?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Theres also someone selling what looks like the Hachette ones in batches of 4, 5 and 7

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Rake-BR-Mk1-Unbranded-Coaches-Maroon-Livery-with-Bachmann-Couplings-/363256399262?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• RMweb Gold

"Hachette Partworks Ltd" in the top left-hand corner tells it all.  Describing the coaches as Hornby is a bit naughty ....

Edited by RFS
Spelling
  • Agree 2

I don't have any of these myself, but I'd suggest the "solid" underframe trusses mark them out as Hachette ones rather than Hornby or Bachmann.  Who were the Hachette ones actually made by ?

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Extra Q.
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, AJCT said:

I don't have any of these myself, but I'd suggest the "solid" underframe trusses mark them out as Hachette ones rather than Hornby or Bachmann.  Who were the Hachette ones actually made by ?

Alasdair

Someone in the Far East I presume.

But it was strange that the loco you could buy was a Bachmann Jinty whilst the vehicles were Oxford.

In the next one that wasn't issued* it was a Bachmann MR Brake Van as the offer and the loco was a LNWR G2 0-8-0. They were definitely Bachmann.

*Something like Milltown

Jason

I ended up buying 12, in batches of 2 or 3 at a time. At £4 they were a bargain and even included a straight track piece. I wonder how much Hachette made (or lost) on issue one alone!

The coaches really aren't that bad and include darkened metal wheels and close coupling mechanism. I sprayed the roof a darker grey to get rid of the plastic look. Might try and open out the underframe trusses one day.