Dapol 2021 range?

Piemanlarger

He played the fiddle extremely well, such a shame so many where taken in when he was No1 in the charts.

Those of us who saw beyond the Chorus where labelled, and ignored, it’s often the minority who should be listened to but hey ho..

Edited by Courtybella

On 29/01/2021 at 18:06, TomJ said:

It’s almost like they had a previous designer with a reputation for promising the huge amounts of new models that never appeared. Reminds me of another company.....

Well he did a far better job of making a model of the 48xx and a number of it's variants compared to the Red Box mob who are the only ones to currently offer that model, despite the constant panning from the choir the one I have runs a hell of a lot better than the Red Box version I have that seems to quite happily emulate the wobbling motions of an old drunk on his way home from the pub on a Friday night with way too many Lagers under his belt.

Edited by David Stannard
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, David Stannard said:

Well he did a far better job of making a model of the 48xx and a number of it's variants compared to the Red Box mob who are the only ones to currently offer that model, despite the constant panning from the choir the one I have runs a hell of a lot better than the Red Box version I have that seems to quite happily emulate the wobbling motions of an old drunk on his way home from the pub on a Friday night with way too many Lagers under his belt.

So you are saying DMJ produced better models than ancient inherited stuff that's been rehashed a couple of times on the cheap? 

A rare bit of praise for him!

• RMweb Gold

My original Airfix ran very well indeed, best runner I had back in the 80s once I binned the traction tyre.  Wouldn't cut the mustard now, cab full of motor, but I believe this is the body tooling Hornby are still using; nothing wrong with it!  I thought the Airfix chassis was a brave attempt; sprung plunger pickups were it's downfall but a good idea in principle, and it had a pretty advanced drive shaft for those days.  Powerful, too, could pull a lot more than the prototype.

No experience of the DJH or modern Hornby Airfix DNA, and no need for 14xx on my layout, so can't comment about them.  Does the current Hornby have cab detail? 

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

So you are saying DMJ produced better models than ancient inherited stuff that's been rehashed a couple of times on the cheap? 

A rare bit of praise for him!

Yes I would, I will note that I have a DC version which has given me no trouble. If you look at where most of the complaints are coming from it was those that were DCC fitted, which strangely enough most complaints about running qualities of new models are of those that are DCC fitted including the new Dapol Mogul. Unfortunately people are all too ready to blame the model and not the dodgy chips they are served with, they can’t even see that something is a bit fishy when it can run fine on DC but has a fit when running on DCC. But that’s because they want something that has all the bells and whistles that makes vaguely realistic sounds through tinny speakers, rather than be content with something that just runs along the rails as it should.

• Like 3