Better screws for mounting Peco point motors under the board?

I'm relatively new to the hobby and have been building up my first OO gauge layout over the last year. I recently bought some Peco PL-10E point motors along with PL-9 mounting plates to install under the board. I eventually managed to get the first one installed correctly but it took 10 times as long as I feel it should have done due to the screws provided with the mounting plates.

They are really small, which is fair enough, but they are also brass (so non-magnetic) and need a flat headed screwdriver. The combination of which makes it really difficult to get them started, especially when upside down screwing up into hard birch plywood. So I've been looking to see if I can find alternative screws. I think I'm looking for 2mm diameter woodscrews, 8-10mm long, Phillips or PZ headed and preferably of a magnetic material. 

All the general diy shops (screwfix, B&Q, wickes) go down to a 3mm diameter woodscrew at smallest which is slightly too large. I've found a couple on ebay but I'd prefer not to buy blind from a random ebay seller if I can help it as quality can vary greatly from experience and returns/refunds can be time-consuming. A few months ago when looking for something else I came across a UK based model shop site which had a wide range of small screws specifically for modelling but I haven't been able to find it again.

Can anyone recommend a supplier?

• RMweb Premium

Once you have marked the position of the first hole, why not use a small drill to start the hole off, then the screws will go in without any trouble. Just make sure you don't drill the hole too big or go right into the track!

Drill the second hole once you know the first one is in the correct place.

But I do agree, that flat bladed screws in such a location are horrible. Posidrive are far superior.

Forget woodscrews.  What you need are 3mm diameter self-tapping screws

1 hour ago, warpfactor said:

They are really small, which is fair enough, but they are also brass (so non-magnetic) and need a flat headed screwdriver.

Hmmm.  You have to remember that in some respects it's still the early 1960s at Peco.  But whatever, forget woodscrews.  What you need are either No 1 (1.8mm dia) or No 2 (2.2mm dia) pan-headed self tappers, either Philips or Pozidrive.  See https://www.modelfixings.co.uk/self_tapping_screws.htm  Note that the length of a pan-head screw is measured from under the head to the point.

FWIW I've used Modelfixings for all manner of fixings for years now and never had anything but excellent service.

Edited by spikey
typo
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, spikey said:

Forget woodscrews.  What you need are 3mm diameter self-tapping screws

Hmmm.  You have to remember that in some respects it's still the early 1960s at Peco.  But whatever, forget woodscrews.  What you need are either No 1 (1.8mm dia) or No 2 (2.2mm dia) pan-headed self tappers, either Philips or Pozidrive.  See https://www.modelfixings.co.uk/self_tapping_screws.htm  Note that the length of a pan-head screw is measured from under the head to the point.

FWIW I've used Modelfixings for all manner of fixings for years now and never had anything but exellent service.

That's the website I found but couldn't find again! Thanks so much, I'll get some ordered.