My little EM Gauge Project

Guest WM183

Hi folks!

I am fortunate enough to be able to build two layouts, one in my "railway room" in 7mm, and then a smaller one in 4mm. This is the 4mm project thread, as there isn't a 4mm specific forum. My PLAN!

This is inspired by a photo I cannot find now! It showed a couple of workers unloading a brake coach and a CCT under the glow of platform lamps, with several hand trucks full of sacks and boxes about. This is the atmosphere and feel I want to create! I would love to do this in 7mm, but alas, space does not permit. However...

A cameo-type layout on an Ikea LACK shelf, 120 or 140 cm long depending on which I get, plus a smaller lack shelf (110 cm x 25, I have two of these) as fiddle yard(s). I wish to do this in EM gauge, BR (M) circa 1956-58 or so; this is so early stock is still in use, but BR standard locos, coaches, etc are starting to arrive in quantity. This is going to be just a few platforms in an urban terminus somewhere with the "enclosure" being designed like a large overall train shed to allow 2 or 3 tracks; perhaps 1 or 2 passenger platforms and a parcels platform! Think a Minories sort of place, but with the yard throat and beyond simulated by the Fiddle Yard. A big over track signal box and signal gantry at one end will make for a neat scenic break.

I will run class 4 tank or smaller engines, and smallish tender engines; perhaps a 3F or 4F. At the moment I have kits for a BR class 4 tank and a class 4 Mogul, and kits for a Jinty and a 4F are on the way. I also have a Bachmann jinty and an Ivatt tank. The Jinty kit and/or the Bachmann Jinty will be the first to be completed to EM, along with that Class 4 BR tank. I like Jinties. Ahem.

The locos will all be build with "Flexchas" as I simply like the challenge. The stock will all be sprung or compensated, because I like building Rumney and Bedford and Brassmasters underframes and Comet coaches. However, for CCTs, like long LNER ones, Southern PMVs and so on... how can I spring these? Their springs and axle guards are quite unique, and would be hard to replace with sprung w irons or rocking units. Any ideas?

and 

Does it sound like a layout that would catch your attention for a minute or two at a show? Like it would be fun to operate for an hour or so?

Amanda

Edited by WM183

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, WM183 said:

I meant to put this in layout and track design. Can anyone move it?

Report it to the mods (the ... link at the top right of the post), and ask them to move it to where you want it.

Adrian

12 hours ago, figworthy said:

Report it to the mods (the ... link at the top right of the post), and ask them to move it to where you want it.

Adrian

Done and they moved it. Thanks much for the tip!

• RMweb Gold

If you can't see the throat pointwork a lot of operational interest is lost, IMHO.

Maybe the quality of the modelling would compensate for that but for some people that still might not be enough.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium

I think I would 

21 hours ago, WM183 said:

Does it sound like a layout that would catch your attention for a minute or two at a show? Like it would be fun to operate for an hour or so?

If it was operated well, I am sure it would catch my attention for quite a few minutes (especially as that's an era I like).  Not so sure I would find it fun to operate myself, but obviously that depends on what parts of operation interest you.  No time for the operator to relax with a crowd to entertain, that's for sure.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

If you can't see the throat pointwork a lot of operational interest is lost, IMHO.

Maybe the quality of the modelling would compensate for that but for some people that still might not be enough.

If space is tight this approach can work very well - as on Westonmouth Central for example.  That model also illustrates the "bitsa" approach - modelling part of a larger site - which alows for a wider variety of stock and locos than could credibly be seen at a very small station.  A similar-ish idea I sketched ages ago was based on sidings in the old Birmingham New Street station:

post-6813-0-50878300-1311702924_thumb.gif

Hi folks,

That little track plan with the bay platform and fish sidings has a lot of appeal. Parcels and time-sensitive freight, perhaps, along with a couple of sidings to use for classifying or even general freight handling. That could be quite a lot of fun! Platform 10 in the background could even be incorporated for a short push-pull local, perhaps with an Ivatt tank or Jinty.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, WM183 said:

Hi folks,

That little track plan with the bay platform and fish sidings has a lot of appeal. Parcels and time-sensitive freight, perhaps, along with a couple of sidings to use for classifying or even general freight handling. That could be quite a lot of fun! Platform 10 in the background could even be incorporated for a short push-pull local, perhaps with an Ivatt tank or Jinty.

I imagine it as seeing local passenger trains in Platform 11, short parcels trains, lots of parcels and perishables tail load traffic shunted to or from passenger trains in the rest of the station by the pilots, maybe short trips from nearby goods yards, stabled carriages, perhaps catering stock serviced between trains and of course the odd stabled loco.  No doubt that is more variety than was seen at that particular location, but I would think it gives an impression of the busy-ness at a large station.

Operationally, you can run trains in and out, work it as a shunting layout, or just display your favourite locos in an atmospheric setting.

Edited by Flying Pig

On 20/01/2021 at 13:07, WM183 said:

However, for CCTs, like long LNER ones, Southern PMVs and so on... how can I spring these? Their springs and axle guards are quite unique, and would be hard to replace with sprung w irons or rocking units. Any ideas?

I would suggest using simple three point compensation with Comet or MJT W-irons and re-using the original axle-boxes and springs, suitably thinned down of course.

• RMweb Premium

You could always go "old school". Peter Denny was springing his wagons from the 1940s, using mostly inside bearings.

This is a more recent version as the wagon is from plasticard but the axles rin in tubes, the tubes are soldered to wires and the brass cross pieces fix the assembly to the wooden block under the floor.

The outside axleguards are purely cosmetic.20210121_170344.jpg.83118f99833d3db1514bf4e9077b0aa6.jpg

Dead easy, quite invisible under the wagon and it works superbly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

If space is tight this approach can work very well - as on Westonmouth Central for example.  That model also illustrates the "bitsa" approach - modelling part of a larger site - which alows for a wider variety of stock and locos than could credibly be seen at a very small station.  A similar-ish idea I sketched ages ago was based on sidings in the old Birmingham New Street station:

post-6813-0-50878300-1311702924_thumb.gif

What does the throat on Westonmouth look like? Looks like double track, is there a crossover at all? 

All the best

Amanda 

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, WM183 said:

What does the throat on Westonmouth look like? Looks like double track, is there a crossover at all? 

The throat is off scene and imaginary.  In practical terms switching between tracks is done withthe traverser fiddle yard.