Railway & Modelling Obituaries

RIP Vic Mitchell - Middleton Press

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Vic Mitchell was one of the last two surviving attendees of the 1951 Bristol meeting out of which the Ffestiniog restoration grew and was one of the earliest members of the Ffestiniog Railway Society.

Martin

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Hello

Without his indespensable and wonderful books I would never have been able to build some of my layouts. Another sad passing.

Cheers

George

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2021 at 16:05, john new said:

Spoken to him several times regarding his books, will be sadly missed. RIP Vic.

One hopes that, rather like when a magazine Editor is changed, the process will keep going with a new partnership of master editors at the reins, so many lines still to be covered.

• Agree 2

Very sorry to hear this sad news. I collected all of these books covering Plymouth and points west, they are a mine of historical information not always found in my other books on railways on this area - definitely my first call when wanting to find dates of openings/closings etc. 

May you rest in peace Vic, and thank you, and the other authors involved, in creating such a great series.

• Agree 5

So sorry to hear of the sad passing of Vic Mitchell. I first had the pleasure of meeting him and Keith Smith at London Bridge station in 1991 at the open day. We were attending with a number of our club's layouts and Middleton Press had just brought out their "Crystal Palace (High Level") and Catford Loop book. We had just started out planning to build our model of this station and the model was still in it's embryonic stage. Both Vic and Keith were absolutely charming and both rather kindly signed the book for me. Vic was a font of railway information and over the years, I have amassed a collection of over 40 Middleton Press books. We have sadly lost another  figurehead in railway literature. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Vic

• Like 2