Fitting WR Loco Lamps

Grafarman

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, just starting out in 7mm, and I've hit a snag; probably minor in the big scheme of things but important in the long run: in trying to fit lamps to locos I've yet to find an example that's pre-drilled/slotted. I've been trying to use Springside metal ones - which I use in OO successfully as you can get away with a bit of filing and tacky wax - but I simply don't have the means to drill/cut the 7mm versions.  So far I've broken the handles, split the metal and generally made a right mess!

Any suggestions for ready-to-fit WR lamps out there...?!

David

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grafarman said:

Hi all, just starting out in 7mm, and I've hit a snag; probably minor in the big scheme of things but important in the long run: in trying to fit lamps to locos I've yet to find an example that's pre-drilled/slotted. I've been trying to use Springside metal ones - which I use in OO successfully as you can get away with a bit of filing and tacky wax - but I simply don't have the means to drill/cut the 7mm versions.  So far I've broken the handles, split the metal and generally made a right mess!

Any suggestions for ready-to-fit WR lamps out there...?!

David

Modelu.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

In the interests of full disclosure, I still couldn't get the Modelu ones to sit how I liked given it is near impossible to file a hole to anything like scale thickness from the side of the lamp, so I shaved off the side of the lamp, glued it to the lamp iron and painted that white. I figured it was an easy fix to repaint the lamp iron black if I ever sold the loco (and I'm far too tight to chuck in a lamp!)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

You'd think some enterprising soul would create some ready-to-fit lamps wouldn't you, rather than having to cut, file or glue solid lumps of metal or plastic...or am I being too naive, and modellers actually relish the extra work...?!

David 

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Grafarman said:

You'd think some enterprising soul would create some ready-to-fit lamps wouldn't you, rather than having to cut, file or glue solid lumps of metal or plastic...or am I being too naive, and modellers actually relish the extra work...?!

David 

Modelu come with holes in.

Just reality is you cant expect to replicate a thin piece of metal in 7mm scale. Depending where the lamp iron is fitted that might mean the lamp doesn't sit quite in line and for me it showed up too much at the top of the boiler. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I can tell you without fear nor favour,it's bad enough doing it in 5" gauge let alone in 7 mil...............

atb

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I prefer the lost wax lamps from CSP models. They have sockets for the lamp irons that need a little fettling- I use a tiny dental burr in the mini drill. When a good fit on the lamp iron is achieved they are easily moved around as required without fear of breakage. I tried the Modelu ones, which are very good, but the handles tend to break if they are moved about.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I sent off to Modelu and the lamps arrived next day, which I think is quite impressive! 

Painted them up and popped in the lenses, colouring one red with a dvd marker pen. 

I pushed a tiny bit of blutac into the slots to stop them wobbling on the irons.

I think they look the part...

20210125_130148.jpg.b10ec11228bafe76b941e5528ea1e6da.jpg

20210125_125938.jpg.29220fa76abbe0bd3f12afc829a24e0c.jpg

20210125_125932.jpg.d5351fcf6e12b8d88cc48a446a4b1f9a.jpg

David 

• Like 4