Keil Kraft Thorneycroft 1.5 ton parcel van

The box art of the old Keil Kraft plastic kit of the Thorneycroft parcel van claims the kit is 1/72 scale.  One would expect it to be 1/76 or OO scale.  Was this a box art misprint or is the kit actually 1/72?  That would be too bad as it's a nice GWR lorry.

George

North Carolina

Stay Covid safe.

Even stranger than that they were originally released as 00/H0 by a company called Davric.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/davric-thorneycroft-1-1-2-ton-parcel-van--167272

ISTR the Keil Kraft trams were correct for 4mm scale.

No idea about the others, but I don't think anyone was that bothered about them being slightly over scale as there wasn't much else available. Modellers have been using them for decades.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Of the three trams, only the Edinburgh tram was 4mm scale, the other two, West Ham & Birmingham, were 1:72 though the Birmingham one was narrow gauge (3' 6") in real life so not as wide as you might expect. Some of the range did start out as Davric (the 1970s Foden tipper was another) so they might well be 4mm scale; their Foden, which I have, is.

I did once have the Ford Transcontinental artic, but that was 1:72, not 1:76 so stayed in its box for years.

According to the Model Railway Constructor drawings index, there's a drawing of the Thornycroft GWR parcel van in the December 1973 issue.

I've got a couple of the Parcel Vans. They do look a bit overscale for OO/4mm, but fit in well and were very cheap, especially compared to what was available. 

Just looking on the Knightwing International web site, and they are showing some of these kits as being available,

and listed as "OO Scale".

1145925620_IMG_2965(2).jpg.5235c6ed9f1564053d56856cdbd212e5.jpg

Also have a few of their other kits. Here's one as a wagon load.

IMG_2978.jpg.0869b4e2782d9544a9e84605c29909ee.jpg

1 hour ago, DKGL said:

Just looking on the Knightwing International web site, and they are showing some of these kits as being available,and listed as "OO Scale".

Sadly just because they're listed as "00" doesn't guarantee they are. For example, I have two of the same Airfix RAF Emergency sets. One box says 1:72, the other 1:76. In that case the latter is correct.

I found my one earlier today. No box, just a sealed plastic wrapper and sold by someone called Stamford Models.

This is the one. I doubt I paid anything close to that though. Probably a pound or two.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stamford-OO-HO-gauge-THORNEYCROFT-PARCEL-VAN-plastic-kit-for-Model-Railway/154294563299?hash=item23ecac31e3:g:SE0AAOSw~plgAxDK

Jason